Peter Beardsley

biggs

Here is a new interview from Peter and i still stick by with what i said when i started this thread and tbh nothing has convinced me that Beardsley has only self preservation as his main interest and what the fuck have Ashley and wise done for the first team to convince him to spout off this shit is beyond me ,i used to respect him and now i dont and i could not give a flying fuck what anyone on this forum thinks about this because my club is dying a horrible death and i fookin care while others bury there heads up there own arses .

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5934612.ece

There is an alternative view of recent events at St James’ Park, one that rejects the notion that Newcastle United’s decline under Mike Ashley’s ownership is entrenched and irreversible. It was espoused yesterday by Peter Beardsley, the club’s former England international and who is employed by Newcastle in an ambassadorial role; the opinion may not be fashionable, but it was delivered with emphasis.

After two difficult seasons, peppered with high-profile departures, a perceived lack of communication and some poor decisions, Ashley’s continuing presence on Gallowgate polarises supporters. There are those who are determined to seek his departure and others who believe they must deal with the only reality that presents itself.

Most, however, agree on one thing: fear. There is fear of relegation — Newcastle are separated from the bottom three by goal difference — and, beyond that, fear of the unknown. Even if the team do retain their status in the Barclays Premier League, Ashley has shown greater inclination to bolster the club’s youth programme than the first team (they made an £8 million profit on transfers in January).

Related Links

* Taylor's equaliser masks Tyneside woes

* Kinnear set for return in April

* Martins wary of Newcastle danger signs

Where are the reasons for optimism? According to Beardsley, who has been a regular presence at Newcastle’s training ground this week, there are some. “I can’t guarantee that we’re going to stay up — nobody can — but I can guarantee that having had conversations with him, Mike Ashley is in the right frame of mind to take this club forward,” he said.

“If the worst came to the worst and we went down, he wouldn’t desert us. I think he needs to be given a bit of credit because of what he’s trying to do. When I look at the academy now, they’ve invested in the future. They’re doing what Arsenal and Manchester United have done for years.

“Ultimately, what happens with the first team will be the most important thing, but if we can survive this season, I think this club will make a major step forward in the summer. We might have to take a step back first, but it’s heading in the right direction. Mike understands that he’s made certain decisions which aren’t perfect, but his heart is in the right place and he cares.”

Even if Beardsley is correct — and there is much evidence to the contrary — there is also an argument that Ashley and his hierarchy, which features Dennis Wise in a prominent role, are not up to the task. “That’s the million-dollar question,” said Beardsley, who was speaking at an event to promote Barclays Ticket Office, which is offering supporters the chance to win match tickets. “But I think they are.

“I don’t have any allegiance to Mike, but on the conversations I’ve had with him and Dennis, I know they want it to be a top-six club for a long time to come, not just for now. To be there for the next ten to 15 years.”

Just tidied that a bit for you mate, your comment was a little mixed in.

Someone said on here a while ago that Beardsley had been 'brought on board' to try and convince the fans, it sticks in the throat that. :nope:

We're miles away from being a top six club, and the quicker Ashley realises this the better.

Just tidied that a bit for you mate, your comment was a little mixed in.

Someone said on here a while ago that Beardsley had been 'brought on board' to try and convince the fans, it sticks in the throat that. :nope:

We're miles away from being a top six club, and the quicker Ashley realises this the better.

Thanks Dave for that and i feel very strongly about this as i am an old timer who loves my club like many others but he is really pissing me off with this shit and i cannot believe he is falling for it.

Here is a new interview from Peter and i still stick by with what i said when i started this thread and tbh nothing has convinced me that Beardsley has only self preservation as his main interest and what the fuck have Ashley and wise done for the first team to convince him to spout off this shit is beyond me ,i used to respect him and now i dont and i could not give a flying fuck what anyone on this forum thinks about this because my club is dying a horrible death and i fookin care while others bury there heads up there own arses .

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5934612.ece

There is an alternative view of recent events at St James’ Park, one that rejects the notion that Newcastle United’s decline under Mike Ashley’s ownership is entrenched and irreversible. It was espoused yesterday by Peter Beardsley, the club’s former England international and who is employed by Newcastle in an ambassadorial role; the opinion may not be fashionable, but it was delivered with emphasis.

After two difficult seasons, peppered with high-profile departures, a perceived lack of communication and some poor decisions, Ashley’s continuing presence on Gallowgate polarises supporters. There are those who are determined to seek his departure and others who believe they must deal with the only reality that presents itself.

Most, however, agree on one thing: fear. There is fear of relegation — Newcastle are separated from the bottom three by goal difference — and, beyond that, fear of the unknown. Even if the team do retain their status in the Barclays Premier League, Ashley has shown greater inclination to bolster the club’s youth programme than the first team (they made an £8 million profit on transfers in January).

Related Links

* Taylor's equaliser masks Tyneside woes

* Kinnear set for return in April

* Martins wary of Newcastle danger signs

Where are the reasons for optimism? According to Beardsley, who has been a regular presence at Newcastle’s training ground this week, there are some. “I can’t guarantee that we’re going to stay up — nobody can — but I can guarantee that having had conversations with him, Mike Ashley is in the right frame of mind to take this club forward,” he said.

“If the worst came to the worst and we went down, he wouldn’t desert us. I think he needs to be given a bit of credit because of what he’s trying to do. When I look at the academy now, they’ve invested in the future. They’re doing what Arsenal and Manchester United have done for years.

“Ultimately, what happens with the first team will be the most important thing, but if we can survive this season, I think this club will make a major step forward in the summer. We might have to take a step back first, but it’s heading in the right direction. Mike understands that he’s made certain decisions which aren’t perfect, but his heart is in the right place and he cares.”

Even if Beardsley is correct — and there is much evidence to the contrary — there is also an argument that Ashley and his hierarchy, which features Dennis Wise in a prominent role, are not up to the task. “That’s the million-dollar question,” said Beardsley, who was speaking at an event to promote Barclays Ticket Office, which is offering supporters the chance to win match tickets. “But I think they are.

“I don’t have any allegiance to Mike, but on the conversations I’ve had with him and Dennis, I know they want it to be a top-six club for a long time to come, not just for now. To be there for the next ten to 15 years.”

Don't see what's so wrong with what he's said to be honest. The last quote about them wanting to be successful is obviously true, anyone who thinks that they don't is deluded beyond believe. Of course they want to be successful. The rest is his opinion on whether they are going to deliver on that want and although that's an arguable point, his opinion is based upon being privy to more information than anyone on here has access to and he obviously does think they have the plans to do so.

Don't see what's so wrong with what he's said to be honest. The last quote about them wanting to be successful is obviously true, anyone who thinks that they don't is deluded beyond believe. Of course they want to be successful.

Bit like me saying I want to win the lottery even though I don't play it.

Don't see what's so wrong with what he's said to be honest. The last quote about them wanting to be successful is obviously true, anyone who thinks that they don't is deluded beyond believe. Of course they want to be successful.

Only if you consider buying hundreds of millions of pounds worth of lottery tickets to be not playing it.

Only if you consider buying hundreds of millions of pounds worth of lottery tickets to be not playing it.

I reckon if I did that I'd have more chance of winning than the chance of us being a regular top six Premiership club under the current regime.

Mind you, I'd have that if I bought one.

Broadly speaking, I'd agree with Beardsley. Ashley does have a strategy - whether it works or not, we have to see. But -

a) I don't believe that he's purely in it for what he can get.

b) Sometimes you do have to take a step back in order to move forward.

c) It might just work, and

d) The previous strategy wasn't working.

Had loads of respect for this guy ,one of the greatest in a toon shirt imho but for fucks sake .

Newcastle legend Beardsley tells fans to back off Ashley

* Premiership News

PRINT | EMAIL | COMMENT (1)

Newcastle legend Beardsley tells fans to back off Ashley

20.09.08 | tribalfootball.com

Newcastle United legend Peter Beardsley has urged fans to lay-off club owner Mike Ashley.

Ashley put Newcastle up for sale this week when protests revealed the extent of his unpopularity.

But Beardsley, who enjoyed two great spells as a Newcastle player, believes Ashley has been harshly treated.

"He didn't come here to fail and he has put a lot of money into the club, so credit to him," said Beardsley.

"Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out but I'm a little bit disappointed he has to walk away.

"His heart was in the right place. Maybe he didn't always show it in the right way but I think he really cared about Newcastle."

Unbelievable.

Peter Beardsley pissed off from NUFC to Liverpool because we were a shit club, and came back when we were a better club. He had different motives to the ones he is now expressing when it was his own career and supporters stayed away in their thousands. Now he is slating us for getting pissed off with the club when it is heading for the same situation which caused him to desert it himself ?

Staggering.

He may be a good bloke, but what a yes man and woolly mouthed knacker he seems to be.

is the current fashion resurrecting old threads ?

If you read my post from yesterday you will understand that a interview with Beardsley has been posted in the Times and The journal so no it is a thread that i started originally and thought it was worth adding too instead of creating a new one and its great to hear someone with the same opinion as me on this  even though i am being ridiculed for it when Beardsley seems to be untouchable on here even though no newcastle player has given me more pleasure watching .

Here is The Journals piece

Toon hero Beardsley backs the Newcastle board

Mar 19 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

* next »

MIKE Ashley has found credible allies wishing to put their head above the parapet and speak out in his favour hard to come by in recent months. But former Newcastle hero Peter Beardsley makes no apologies for backing the board.

IF the voice is reassuringly familiar to Newcastle United supporters, the message is most certainly not.

Peter Andrew Beardsley, who crossed the line for his home-town club on nearly 300 occasions and contributed 108 goals to the cause over two spells at St James’s Park, believes the club is moving in the right direction on Mike Ashley’s watch.

And he retains the belief that if Newcastle do survive these fraught final weeks of the season with their Premier League status intact, they will never again battle relegation with Ashley’s hand at the tiller.

It is strong and unashamedly positive stuff from Beardsley, who has consistently argued that Ashley should be given another chance to prove himself, despite the mistakes that have occurred since he bought the club in May of 2007.

While it will not strike a chord with the disaffected masses of St James’s Park, Beardsley’s opinions at least provide a cogent counter-argument to the notion that Ashley and the rest of the board are sending United to hell in a handcart.

Beardsley, after all, remains a prominent and admired figure at United. As well as his service on the pitch, his work in the community for local charities assures him the respect of Newcastle’s support.

Loyal to the club to a tee, he simply cannot envisage relegation despite the current perilous position.

The looming games against Arsenal, who have recovered their form and composure since a mid-season slump, and Chelsea – who have done likewise – have been viewed with dread by those disappointed by the performance against Hull.

But Beardsley sees opportunity in those fixtures – especially now Michael Owen is approaching full fitness.

[glow=red,2,300]“I don’t think they’re in as bad a state as everybody says. [/glow]I’m biased because its my team,” he said.

“When you look at it, we probably have to win three games, and I think they’re more than capable of doing that.

“We’ve always done okay against Arsenal and Chelsea at home in the past and, with all due respect to Stoke, we’d expect to go there and get at least a point.

“It’s not ideal at the moment but I’ve said before and I’ll say it again – Mike has not come here to fail.

“He’s come here to succeed; to improve the club.

“It hasn’t been ideal for him, he’s taken a lot of stick – unfairly in my opinion – but a lot of the fans I speak to now feel sorry for him. Because he came in with the right intentions, it didn’t work out, but I think the fans realise that with people like Dennis Wise and Derek Llambias, the club is in good hands and there are reasons to be optimistic about the future.

It may not be a message that chimes with all supporters – but Beardsley is unapologetic.

Most of the high-profile figures who have stuck up for Ashley, Llambias and Wise have been accused of betraying the club and its roots by the increasingly mutinous cyber community and swathes of supporters who believe United have moved backwards under Ashley’s leadership.

The list of those willing to throw their weight behind Ashley in public is a small band, to be fair, but the likes of Joe Kinnear have done it – and provoked the venom of fans for their troubles.

The difference here is that Beardsley’s outstanding service to Newcastle gives his message instant credibility, and makes him harder to file under the category of ‘willing stooge’.

After all, there are few who have worn black-and-white with such distinction or pride over the last three decades, and his loyalty to the club and its supporters cannot be discounted – even if his support for Ashley grates. It is worth mitigating Beardsley’s message by acknowledging that he remains actively involved with the club on both a professional and personal basis.

Beardsley, after all, has coached in Newcastle’s Academy recently and holds an ambassadorial role which involves work in the community on the club’s behalf.

However, that involvement pre-dates the Ashley era, and Beardsley insists it is an honestly-held opinion that is informed by talking to the key players in a boardroom still largely mistrusted by fans.

“I am entitled to my opinion,” he said.

“The fans know where I’m coming from – they know this has been my club all of my life.

“If in five to 10 years’ time Mike Ashley’s not here, I will still be a Newcastle fan. I’m lucky, I’ve had conversations with Mike Ashley, so I know how positive he is towards the future.

[glow=red,2,300]“I’ve also had conversations with Derek Lambias, Dennis Wise and Richard Money, and the club has a positive future.[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]“We all know it hinges on the first team being successful – but if they survive, I don’t see us being in a relegation battle ever again.

[/glow]

“While Mike Ashley is at the club, I don’t see us ever being in this situation again. Circumstances have put us in this position – injuries to key players like Martins, Owen and Viduka have had a massive impact.

“That would decimate any team – just look how Arsenal struggled this season without their top players.”

If Beardsley is so positive about our future i wonder why Shay Given wanted out cos he certainly didnt feel the club was going in the right direction and i bet Bassong will be away in the summer .

Don't care what Beardsley says - he has always been 'establishment' if it suits him...

NEVER agreed with those who thought he would be a good manager because he clearly hasn't got what it takes upstairs to do the job, whereas someone like Shearer is far more single-minded and determined.

I, along with any sensible fan, will make up my OWN mind about Ashley & Co by what they do - and to date, they have messed-up royally whether PB says so or not...Beardsley was a great player and should leave it at that, although he IS entitled to his own opinion.

It needs someone to say this from a former legend like Beardsley imo, if only to provide some balance. Doesn't explain the massive risks Ashley is taking by failing to appoint a quality manager which could do long term damage to the club if it's not addressed in the summer assuming we aren't relegated which would condemn Ashley as a failure anyway.

If Beardsley is so positive about our future i wonder why Shay Given wanted out cos he certainly didnt feel the club was going in the right direction and i bet Bassong will be away in the summer .

Not many players will turn down Man City tbh.

It even took Kaka an age to make up his mind.

Guest Brummiemag

Peter was a great footballer and is a nice bloke but his comments beggar belief.

Ashley is clueless about running our football club and worse still his motives are open to question.

This is a guy who suggested in December 2008 that we could push for a top 6 place and then proceeds to make a profit in the transfer window. How can anybody take him seriously?