Peter Beardsley

biggs

is the current fashion resurrecting old threads ?

If you read my post from yesterday you will understand that a interview with Beardsley has been posted in the Times and The journal so no it is a thread that i started originally and thought it was worth adding too instead of creating a new one and its great to hear someone with the same opinion as me on this  even though i am being ridiculed for it when Beardsley seems to be untouchable on here even though no newcastle player has given me more pleasure watching .

you said all that without pausing for breath  ;D

Yes, I do agree with you, very much so.

Guest Geordiesned

legend on the pitch and off it but what an absolute load of bollocks that is.

And yes, he doesn't exactly speak highly of Shola behind closed doors

Think I'll ask him about today's Chronicle piece on Monday night at a talk in.

these talk-ins are just opportunities for people to spout off a load of shite. the way some ex-players talk about the foreign players as if they were scum of the earth is embarrasing and paints an unprofessional picture of the club.

Biggest mistake Ashley has made is not employing a class manager.  But then again maybe he tried and no one wanted it??

If we survive we need someone to sit down with people like Bassong and re-assure them we are going places.

I can imagine Keegan doing that but can you imagine Kinnear sitting him down telling him we are going places? NO

Biggest mistake Ashley has made is not employing a class manager.  But then again maybe he tried and no one wanted it??

If we survive we need someone to sit down with people like Bassong and re-assure them we are going places.

I can imagine Keegan doing that but can you imagine Kinnear sitting him down telling him we are going places? NO

The choice of Kinnear gets criticised a lot, but there were particular circumstances. Keegan had walked, Ashley had decided to sell up in order to appease the fans, and we needed someone who was prepared to step into what seemed a very temporary position. There weren't going to be too many willing candidates.

It boils down to who you consider to be at fault for bringing about that desperate situation in the first place. But that's another debate.

Where's the talk-in, fella?

The choice of Kinnear gets criticised a lot, but there were particular circumstances. Keegan had walked, Ashley had decided to sell up in order to appease the fans, and we needed someone who was prepared to step into what seemed a very temporary position. There weren't going to be too many willing candidates.

It boils down to who you consider to be at fault for bringing about that desperate situation in the first place. But that's another debate.

Appointing Kinnear as temporary manager was understandable, perhaps even wise.

Keeping him on after deciding not to sell was questionable.

Offering him a long-term contract despite the fact that he's almost dropped dead is inexcusable idiocy.

Seriously, what are you guys getting so narked off about. The only quote i can possibly think you are getting upset about is the one that says Shola is good (not great not the best, not a soulution to our problems now or in the future, not even higher than Oba, Owen or Viduka), not even good enough to dispace the usuals, but just good enough to (as he says) have a part to play in the run in.

Forgive me for thinking that is not far off realistic, and harldy the what would reasonably be classed as utter shit.

“Shola has scored nearly 50 goals now, which is an incredible achievement”

This is a pretty laughable statement - unless he means he's incredulous at the fact Ameobi hasn't yet scored 50 by the age of 27, but that seems unlikely going on the rest of what he says.

Isn't this the same Peter Beardsley who once mocked Shola at a talk-in when he was talking about being the last Newcastle player to score a hat-trick against Sunderland? Said something along the lines of he would never begrudge someone like Shearer or Owen being the next player to do it, but when Shola got two (well, one and an o.g), he would have been p*ssed off to have lost that honour to someone like Ameobi had he got a third.

Offering him a long-term contract despite the fact that he's almost dropped dead is inexcusable idiocy.

Can't disagree with any of that. I thought as a short term appointment it was a canny choice, but the decision making since then has shown Ashley and friends might be good at balancing the books but their football knowledge is pitiful.

Can't disagree with any of that. I thought as a short term appointment it was a canny choice, but the decision making since then has shown Ashley and friends might be good at balancing the books but their football knowledge is pitiful.

I have no idea if their footbal knowledge is pitiful or not, just think it would come down to a monumentally bad decision on our part if Kinnear stayed on.

Quinn just confirmed he wants Sbragia to be there next season and you would have thought he was a pretty clued up fella.  ???

Guest Geordiesned

Where's the talk-in, fella?

The Berkley Tavern in Whitley Bay.

“Shola has scored nearly 50 goals now, which is an incredible achievement”

This is a pretty laughable statement - unless he means he's incredulous at the fact Ameobi hasn't yet scored 50 by the age of 27, but that seems unlikely going on the rest of what he says.

Probably means for someone of Shola's ability that it is incredible that he's scored 50 goals.

Well well well looks like the brown nosing has worked for the little monkey and i rest my case he had his own agenda for supporting Ashley and fair play to him but i think in private he will be devasted with what has happened to his former club but i have lost respect for him now.

Toon legend is back to coach the kids

Published Date: 27 March 2009

E-mail Miles Starforth

NEWCASTLE United legend Peter Beardsley has been handed a role coaching the next generation of strikers at St James's Park.

Beardsley – who has been working at St James's Park in an ambassadorial and PR role – has returned to the training field at the club's Academy.

The 48-year-old has been keen to get back into coaching for some time, and Academy director Richard Money has found a role for him working with the forwards.

Beardsley – who scored well over 100 goals for Newcastle in his two spells at the club – will help Money and his staff hone the skills of the likes of Nile Ranger and Wesley Ngo Baheng.

Money believes the former England international has a lot to offer the club's rising stars.

"Peter's a Newcastle United legend, and was an absolutely top player, so it makes perfect sense to have him working with our young strikers," said Beardsley.

"He has so much knowledge of the game that he can pass on to the young lads, and they will benefit enormously from working with him and listening to what he tells them."

Ranger is one of the hottest properties in Academy football, with the 17-year-old having struck 22 goals for United's Under-18s and reserve teams this season.

And Money is convinced the Londoner – who made his England Under-19s debut this week – can benefit from Beardsley's experience.

Ranger came on as a half-time substitute for England against the Czech Republic, and came agonisingly close to winning the game when his shot hit the post with five minutes left.

He said: "It would have been great had it gone in, but sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

"I'd never played for England at any level before, and didn't expect this, so it's the icing on the cake in a great first season for me at Newcastle."

Well well well looks like the brown nosing has worked for the little monkey and i rest my case he had his own agenda for supporting Ashley and fair play to him but i think in private he will be devasted with what has happened to his former club but i have lost respect for him now.

Toon legend is back to coach the kids

Published Date: 27 March 2009

E-mail Miles Starforth

NEWCASTLE United legend Peter Beardsley has been handed a role coaching the next generation of strikers at St James's Park.

Beardsley – who has been working at St James's Park in an ambassadorial and PR role – has returned to the training field at the club's Academy.

The 48-year-old has been keen to get back into coaching for some time, and Academy director Richard Money has found a role for him working with the forwards.

Beardsley – who scored well over 100 goals for Newcastle in his two spells at the club – will help Money and his staff hone the skills of the likes of Nile Ranger and Wesley Ngo Baheng.

Money believes the former England international has a lot to offer the club's rising stars.

"Peter's a Newcastle United legend, and was an absolutely top player, so it makes perfect sense to have him working with our young strikers," said Beardsley.

"He has so much knowledge of the game that he can pass on to the young lads, and they will benefit enormously from working with him and listening to what he tells them."

Ranger is one of the hottest properties in Academy football, with the 17-year-old having struck 22 goals for United's Under-18s and reserve teams this season.

And Money is convinced the Londoner – who made his England Under-19s debut this week – can benefit from Beardsley's experience.

Ranger came on as a half-time substitute for England against the Czech Republic, and came agonisingly close to winning the game when his shot hit the post with five minutes left.

He said: "It would have been great had it gone in, but sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

"I'd never played for England at any level before, and didn't expect this, so it's the icing on the cake in a great first season for me at Newcastle."

Eh? Who's speaking?

???

What have they done with the real Nile Ranger!?  :frantic:

Aye, good news I say though..

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/27/peter-beardsley-gets-newcastle-united-coaching-job-72703-23246701/

Peter Beardsley gets Newcastle United coaching job

Mar 27 2009 by Mark Douglas, Evening Chronicle

PETER Beardsley has been drafted into the coaching set-up of Newcastle United’s Academy to help mould the club’s next generation of striking talent.

The Toon legend, who scored 108 goals during two illustrious spells in the black and white, is coaching forwards from the club’s under-14 to under-18s teams.

That includes the likes of Nile Ranger, recently called up to the England under-19 side, and the highly-rated Wesley Ngo-Baheng.

Beardsley has long been employed by the club in an ‘ambassadorial role’ and has worked on and off with the club’s young players for many years – he recently revealed his pride at seeing former protege Andy Carroll graduate to United’s first team.

But Academy director Richard Money has asked him to take regular sessions with the club’s young forwards to help them progress.

“Peter is a Newcastle United legend and was an absolutely top player, so it makes perfect sense to have him working with our young strikers,” Money said.

“He has so much knowledge of the game that he can pass on to the young lads and they will benefit enormously from working with him and listening to what he tells them.”

A well-regarded coach, Beardsley holds the UEFA ‘A’ Licence and has worked with the England set-up in the past. “I love working with young players and seeing them get through to the first team gives you a real buzz,” he said.

“A guy like Andy Carroll, I know how hard he has worked to get where he is and to have played a part in his development fills you with pride,” he said.

Beardsley has often been linked with managerial roles but he said that if offered the chance he would prefer to run Newcastle’s youth set-up than the first team.

“If Dennis Wise said tomorrow that I could run the Academy or the first team, I’d run the Academy. Because that’s what I enjoy – the youngsters are hungry, they soak everything up,” he said.

“I enjoy Academy life. When I look at working with youngsters, that is the thing I love.”

Beardsley is not the only former United man on the Academy’s coaching staff. Alan Thompson was also appointed in the summer to coach the club’s youngsters