Chelsea vs Newcastle United - 22/11/08 - pre-match thread

Dave

I'd go with: -

Given

Beye   Colo  Taylor  N'Zogbia

Jonas  Butt  Duff

Owen

Ameobi Martins

Two wingers in the middle? You need atleast two out-and-out centre-midfielders in there in order for it to work imo. Geremi-Butt-Jonas for me, if we're going 4-3-3.

I wonder if we will ever see that dynamic and brilliant formation again, or whether it was purely Keegan's thing. Hughton had a laughable bash at it at home to Hull. Can't imagine Kinnear will fancy it, seeing as it's so positive. Needless to say though, with this squad of players, it's the most effective they've ever performed. That said, it was probably more down to the manager.

I honestly wouldn't know how to go against Chelsea and i honestly don't think it'll matter. They could practically pick their scoreline before the game and accomplish it, such is the gulf in quality.

If Kinnear is to prove to people that he does have some sort of good managerial ability, then he'll have to do something now. Keegan did something after a fucking horrific run, and it worked, because he's a quality manager and knows how to play football. It's time to see whether or not Kinnear's got it in him. Needless to say, i hold virtually no hope whatsoever.

For me, thinking ambitious, i'd go:

Given

Beye  Coloccini  Taylor  Enrique

Butt

Geremi          Jonas

Owen

Ameobi        Martins

Not a cat in hell's chance of it happening, though. It'll probably be:

Given

Beye  Coloccini  Taylor  N'Zogbia

Jonas      Butt    Guthrie      Duff

Ameobi  Owen

Two wingers in the middle? You need atleast two out-and-out centre-midfielders in there in order for it to work imo. Geremi-Butt-Jonas for me, if we're going 4-3-3.

Like I said in the Barton injury thread, if we're going to lose we might as well go down fighting. At least with Jonas and Duff Chelsea will have to have people run after them. Unless Geremi is picking out Owen in the penalty box from the half way line I can't see him troubling them at all.

Like I said in the Barton injury thread, if we're going to lose we might as well go down fighting. At least with Jonas and Duff Chelsea will have to have people run after them. Unless Geremi is picking out Owen in the penalty box from the half way line I can't see him troubling them at all.

But a midfield of Jonas, Butt and Duff has about as much end product as a peanut.

The midfield last close-season was Geremi, Butt and Barton - hardly a trio that you've got to 'run after' time and again - but that's where the wing-backs came in. And, naturally, that's when they've been at their best in their respective times here (Beye and Enrique). The midfield was simply an engine room with benefits, but it worked because we had athletic and effective wing-backs, and Owen and Martins that roamed around everywhere. You don't need two 'runners' in the midfield to make it all happen.

If this 4-3-3's gonna work again then it needs to be using the same blueprints that Keegan laid out.

Chelsea are annoying good this term. The thing that gets me about them is that there not even playing well as of late. Deco is off form, Kalou is no better than N'Zogbia, and they have so many injuries that the team is picking itself. Last match they were missing (I think) Cech, Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Ballack, Essien, and Drogba, and they are still raping most teams in what is considered the strongest team in the world. The thing I will say is that Oba and N'Zogbia must play. Boswinga can be attacked and beaten, but not by Duff's nonsense. Especially if Carvalho's out, Oba must play because Terry/Alex/Ianovic can be beaten for pace.

Guest black n white

given

beye  taylor  collo  bassong

geremi

jonas                nzogbia

owen

shola                martins

i'll settle for a draw

The thing is Chelse are actaully not that good going forward. Anelka drifts out of games, Malouda is good, but not amazing, while Kalou is very adept at dribbling when he ought to be shooting or passing. They only dominate smaller teams because they control the whole game in midfield and defence. Their like of bite at the front is why they have become a but of a DOsT this season.

The thing is Chelse are actaully not that good going forward. Anelka drifts out of games, Malouda is good, but not amazing, while Kalou is very adept at dribbling when he ought to be shooting or passing. They only dominate smaller teams because they control the whole game in midfield and defence. Their like of bite at the front is why they have become a but of a DOsT this season.

They are very good going forward against makeweights like us.