West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The club will see Carroll as a no brainer (financially) to be honest.

He either comes and picks up where he left off, scores a shed load of goals and becomes a £20m + rated striker within a season. Or he doesn't, but he is always going to have the attributes which make him an attractive buy for the likes of West Ham/Stoke etc., easy £10m +.

The new TV deal next year will lead to inevitable inflation in transfer fees for average players, so given his relatively young age, a failed Andy Carroll at NUFC will still sell for £10m + in two years time.

I think wuith Ashley it's not so much cost as value.  He'll refuse to pay £6.5m for a £7m player, but he will pay £9m for what he thinks is a £12m player.  I think that's what's caught his interest with Carroll, £35m a year ago and with the way it's panned out (and the fact he'd like to come back to us over other teams offering more money) means he sniffs what he'd consider a bargain.

The club will see Carroll as a no brainer (financially) to be honest.

He either comes and picks up where he left off, scores a shed load of goals and becomes a £20m + rated striker within a season. Or he doesn't, but he is always going to have the attributes which make him an attractive buy for the likes of West Ham/Stoke etc., easy £10m +.

The new TV deal next year will lead to inevitable inflation in transfer fees for average players, so given his relatively young age, a failed Andy Carroll at NUFC will still sell for £10m + in two years time.

Less complex and more patient environment for him if he comes back as well, I think he'll prosper again but not the the hysterical extent he did before we sold him. Still, an excellent option to have and a player that will want to prove many people wrong.

Not a bad signing if we get him for close to £10m. But saving up money and not signing a right back because of this is pure idiocy (if the case).

If we can get Carroll for a good fee and on decent wages, then we would have a quality back-up/rotation striker on our books. I don't think he'd "dare" to kick-up too much fuss if he isn't our 1st choice striker, simply because he'd probably have a more humble attitude towards the club this time. :lol:

I doubt we could sell him for £10m if he adds failure at NUFC to failure at Liverpool. By then his six months of quality will be a distant memory.

Also a player could break his leg or have to retire at any time - it's not like he's a concrete asset that you know you'll be able cash in when you like.

It's hard to take the Carroll bid seriously. Firstly because I'm not sure Ashley would spend that much on a 3rd choice striker (look at how much we're prepared to spend on a first choice right back). Every major signing under Ashley has been a first team replacement, we simply don't spend that kind of money on bench players.

Secondly, I don't think the player will be desperate to leave their bench only to wind up on our bench. He is not going to submit a transfer request for the second time in 2 years. An injury to Borini or Suarez and he'll get a run of games at Anfield - his situation will be no different here except he'll be earning much less money.

And lastly, Liverpool will no doubt see us as a rival; they will not want to strengthen us. A bit of wounded pride comes into it, it would hurt for the same directors to sanction a 20M pound loss back to the club they bought him from.

I'll be very surprised if he ends up here, but in football anything is possible. We do need a striker, but I think the club would more likely go for a cheap, young striker with potential, someone with a fraction of the fee and wages. This would be more of a Freddy Shepherd signing than a Mike Ashley signing.

Why would it be at the expense of Debuchy? For all we know we have separate amounts of money set aside for players, and if we can get them within that structure we will. If the club don't think they can stretch for Debuchy (and let's be honest, no one knows what Lille's demands actually are), then I don't mind them moving onto other targets like Carroll. Remember, it's not the end of the world if we try again in January. We've still got a very good squad.

And, I think if you were put in charge or our transfer dealings, of course you would want to save as much money as possible. If they know they are likely to be able to get Debuchy for the price offered if they wait a few months, then why wouldn't they?

We don't know tbf, we are all making assumptions. ( mind you i'm more guilty of that than anyone :lol: )

I think wuith Ashley it's not so much cost as value.

Important distinction -- and value in terms of how well the player will retain it. I remember Llambias saying something about the bottom line being, will we get our money back?

Are you sure on that? I can't remember that and tbh it seems a little absurd as future profit is just about as guaranteed as future success, or future fitness.

If a player can add value to the club financially or otherwise, without us paying over the odds, I can't imagine we'd simply automatically say no.

I think wuith Ashley it's not so much cost as value.

Important distinction -- and value in terms of how well the player will retain it. I remember Llambias saying something about the bottom line being, will we get our money back?

Are you sure on that? I can't remember that and tbh it seems a little absurd as future profit is just about as guaranteed as future success, or future fitness.

If a player can add value to the club financially or otherwise, without us paying over the odds, I can't imagine we'd simply automatically say no.

That's what I remember him saying. Don't have a link.

I think this might happen in the next few days.

£12m is probably close to his value. Do Liverpool think that if they hang onto him for 4 months / 1 year and keep him on the bench someone will come in with a £20m bid? And would Carroll accept it if they did?

Surely they need to start recouping some of the money they've been lashing out. Taken in isolation, 12m is a decent price for a player the manager clearly doesn't want.  If he hadn't come into their possession for such a ridiculous fee there is no doubt it would have been accepted.

Its extremely embarrassing for them but they should just take their medicine really. They appear to have no money, they need a striker, and can get a fair price of £12m for a player they don't want.

From the front six against Spurs, who gets dropped for Carroll?

Not dropped, rotated ;)

This.

In the case of the Spurs game we probably would have left Cisse out as the pre match talk of him not being fully fit looked to be accurate.

I'm sure Ba could have done with a lot more breaks than he got last season as well.

Shola can barely manage more than 3 consecutive games.

Guest bimpy474

From the front six against Spurs, who gets dropped for Carroll?

Not dropped, rotated ;)

This.

In the case of the Spurs game we probably would have left Cisse out as the pre match talk of him not being fully fit looked to be accurate.

I'm sure Ba could have done with a lot more breaks than he got last season as well.

Shola can barely manage more than 3 consecutive games.

When Ba had a dip in form last season he could have done with a break like you said, thats where a third decent striker comes in.

Still be amazed if its Carroll though.