If we go down, how will you watch us next season?

ChezGiven

Imagine the SMB if we go down. Their server would be overloaded for months.

I'll tell you what though...if we do get relegated, that'll be it for this fucking place. Dead.

I hope the admin hold off on committing any further money on new servers, because we won't need it. You wait and see if I'm wrong.

This place will be quieter than HTL's old board.

:tumbleweed:

Be nice to kick off at 3 on a Saturday on a regular basis.

Aye that's one of the few positives to take from it.

Don't think Scunny got many Saturday at 3pm games last season. Lots of Tuesday and Friday night matches though.

I can live without that for a season or two.

This is the problem, and is something I just don't understand. Why do people presume we'll bounce back after a season or two? You'd have thought the same for countless other 'top flight' clubs who are still languishing in the lower leagues.

Might be slightly tougher for me if we went down actually, fewer London teams in the championship iirc. QPR, Palace, Charlton (if they miraculously escape), can't think of any others. Would be a good excuse to go and visit my sister in Nottingham mind.

Fuck, that's a shit quota of London teams, since when were shitty northern clubs doing so well?

Seriously, relegation isn't going to be the end of anything other than status which given the state of top-flight football, I can live without that for a season or two. It will probably be more fun a division down, visiting all these different grounds, experiencing all these different sets of supporters and I imagine the atmosphere would improve too, although attendances will seriously fall. Quality not quantity though. Relegation doesn't = the end of the world nor the end of NUFC. Could actually be the making of us in a twisted round about way.

Ten years ago, maybe. But now, it will take years and years for a lower-flight club to establish themselves as European/top half contenders. Such is the state of the game.

If we go down that is it for a long, long time. We're more likely to drop a further division than come back up within a couple of years, given the fact we won't be able to get a good manager, the humongous exodus of players, the inability to find replacements.

Amazes me how anyone can look at relegation in any manner of positivity.

I'll tell you what though...if we do get relegated, that'll be it for this f***ing place. Dead.

I hope the admin hold off on committing any further money on new servers, because we won't need it. You wait and see if I'm wrong.

NE5/Mick/Ozzie would probably stay. We'd need new servers just for them.

Might be slightly tougher for me if we went down actually, fewer London teams in the championship iirc. QPR, Palace, Charlton (if they miraculously escape), can't think of any others. Would be a good excuse to go and visit my sister in Nottingham mind.

Fuck, that's a shit quota of London teams, since when were shitty northern clubs doing so well?

I dunno, but there are loads of wank northern clubs in the prem too (wigan, bolton, blackburn). Reading, Millwall (both dep. on promotions) could be around London, and more than likely Watford will be there too, but there's slim pickings at best.

Depends on the manager for me tbh. i cant stand kinnear with his fricking useless subs and insitence on ameobi getting 90 every week so all depends on him. Lost hope a few games after JFK took charge and mike and the rest of the board decided this was the man to back. Depressing really, the fact on the back of a 25% win record he gets offered a new 2.5 year deal, looks like we have some seriously mentally disabled ppl running the club at the moment.

I live in Canada, so f*** knows when I'll get to watch us. :(

Setanta show Championship games, not as manay as prem ones but at leaset some. The Score and sportsnet don't show anything from the lower leagues I believe.

I'll probably hang onto my Setanta sub, I was contemplating giving it up, but the liklihood is we'll be on frequently at least next season. Lets hope we go straight back up though.

They're all in league 1 and 2.

Seriously, relegation isn't going to be the end of anything other than status which given the state of top-flight football, I can live without that for a season or two. It will probably be more fun a division down, visiting all these different grounds, experiencing all these different sets of supporters and I imagine the atmosphere would improve too, although attendances will seriously fall. Quality not quantity though. Relegation doesn't = the end of the world nor the end of NUFC. Could actually be the making of us in a twisted round about way.

know exactly what you mean and have been saying this for 4 years. However, to think we'd be a league below the mackems  :no:

know exactly what you mean and have been saying this for 4 years. However, to think we'd be a league below the mackems  :no:

League below, class above....

Guest Howaythetoon

Ten years ago, maybe. But now, it will take years and years for a lower-flight club to establish themselves as European/top half contenders. Such is the state of the game.

If we go down that is it for a long, long time. We're more likely to drop a further division than come back up within a couple of years, given the fact we won't be able to get a good manager, the humongous exodus of players, the inability to find replacements.

Amazes me how anyone can look at relegation in any manner of positivity.

So if we go down, that's it? Bull. A good manager (at that level would suffice) will have us back up again. I mean Thick Mick (not wor Mick ;)) at Wolves has them top and he's proved himself to be a crap manager at PL level.

As for positivity... relegation will be a massive massive disappointment without a doubt - huge. But that first game of the season will see a return of optimism and hope for the coming campaign, one that can be exciting all the same as 92-93 was - argued by many as better than any season we've had since in the top-flight.

Back to managers... we could still attract a good manager even outside of the PL. I reckon Bruce under the right conditions would drop down a level to manage us. I reckon Martinez would swap Swansea for SJP. I reckon Ketsbaia would swap European football for us, I reckon if Mick McCarthy can take a team up to the PL, then anyone can and given the vast number of DIFFERENT managers who actually have, well... sort of enforces my point.

The Championship is a tough old division but then isn't any league tough?

We'd storm that league under a decent manager and some decent players (of that level even).

Most players in that division would walk over broken glass to play for Newcastle. Most managers in that division would too.

If we start next season as a Championship club I for one will be there and as excited, hopeful and as supportive as I've ever been. Liverpool or Anfield are just names. The actual football is where its at and as far as I'm concerned we can't do much worse on that front then what we've been served with for the past few years now.

Play decent football, win games, look to be going places and have players that wear the shirt with pride and it doesn't matter what division we're in, whose names are on the back of those shirts or who happens to be our manager or how many full houses we get, the feelings for the team and club will remain strong and in many ways more stronger. That's all I really care about, a team that plays decent football, wins its fair share of matches and looks to have a future.

Don't be fooled by Sky, that badge on the arms of shirts and names like Liverpool and grounds like Anfield. The PL is just a league and the spectacle a game all the same.

Its what happens on the pitch that counts and is all that matters. A win is a win, a loss is a loss. A crap performance is a crap performance while a great one is a great one.... doesn't really matter who the opposition is.

I'll tell you what though...if we do get relegated, that'll be it for this f***ing place. Dead.

Maybe so, but I know that for people like myself outside of England that wouldn't be able to find the game often through other means, we'd be depending on this forum even more for updates on games and what's going on. I mean, hell, what else will we do with our time at work? Do actual work?

Guest Howaythetoon

The forum wouldn't be dead... it would probably be more busy than ever as more and more rival fans would join the forum and people will still want to talk about NUFC on the web no matter which league we are in.

The forum wouldn't be dead... it would probably be more busy than ever as more and more rival fans would join the forum and people will still want to talk about NUFC on the web no matter which league we are in.

Would become a much more important resource for alot of fans.

Most long standing premiership clubs that get relegated struggle to come back up quickly - look at Coventry, Southampton, Leicester.  It is those clubs like Birmingham, West Brom and the Mackems - the yoyo clubs that tend to come back up at the first attempt.

I can't imagine how the club will deal with relegation.  Obviously, they are going to be in a mess financially and a lot of players will leave so we will have to buy a whole new team.  Even if some players want to stay, will the club be able to afford to pay their wages?  Some of the kids will step up but as they have not really played senior football before, we will not know if they are good enough.  All the other Championship clubs will see us as the team to beat and so will up their game.

If we kept the team intact, I am sure that we would win loads of games and come straight back up but that won't happen and I have no faith that the people running the club will cope with it in a sensible fashion.

I am seriously worried about relegation but I blame Ashley and his mates for the poor decision-making throughout this season and would blame them entirely and so I guess that they would get their come-uppance.

I think there are positives as a fan because the largesse of the Premiership makes me sick at times and it will be good to visit some different places etc but I am concerned about the overall effect on the club and how long it will take for it to recover.

Guest Howaythetoon

Would become a much more important resource for alot of fans.

It would indeed.