Shearer says talks with Cardiff were "unsucessful" - Sky News

Decky

I think we can all agree just to be thankful he isn't our manager and hopefully never will be.

Maybe if he proves himself, gets Cardiff stabilised and promoted, had a couple of years in the prem keeping them up then maybe. But until then I'm glad he's not here, really e should have been doing this years ago like Lee Clark but he had neither the passion or commitment to becoming a manager, and really I don't see what has changed all of a sudden. If it wasn't handed to him on a plate he wasn't interested, he is very lucky Cardiff want him, even if everyone has left them.

I do hope we help him out with loans should he seek them from us.

Hope he does well.  I'd given up all hope of him doing this tbh.  Far better than him taking over us when we're at another low ebb, let's see what he can offer at another club and good luck to him.  Cardiff are a state atm but they're still a fairly big draw in that league and I think this will only improve matters on that score.

Some of the disrespectful comments towards him on here make me cringe.  It's one of them things that makes you realise that this forum is far from representative of our fanbase, i.e. there's a far bigger proportion of bi-polar, attention-seeking knobheads on this forum than among our support.

I'll be fucked if I judge him after 8 games.  But even if you do.  Say he's a shite manager.  Doesn't justify some of the spite towards him on here.  Get a grip.

I'd have respected him a lot more if he'd rolled his sleeves up and got on with the job at Newcastle but it seems we couldn't afford him once we went down. Wasn't it one of the other Championship chairmen who said Ashley had told them that their whole squad cost less than Shearer salary wise?

Respect him or not, what has he done to warrant being management credential?

What had Kevin Keegan done when he was appointed Newcastle manager the first time around?  Sometimes it's worth the risk.  Appoint someone like Billy Davies and there's every chance they'll continue to tread water as they have done for years on end.

They need someone with a point to prove that will change the club from top to bottom.  They'll also need investment.

Nothing. Be it good or bad.

Exactly. FFS.

How don't people seem to comprehend this?

Who doesn't? It's all speculation. I personally have seen more evidence to suggest that he isn't the man for this job than evidence that suggests he is.

The correct ending to Ron's earlier post about what everyone can agree on / be thankful about is that he's not going to be learning the trade and having to prove himself at nufc.

Nothing. Be it good or bad.

Exactly. FFS.

How don't people seem to comprehend this?

How can't people comprehend that some people have already formed an opinion?

Some don't think Shearer will be good manager. They don't have to have enough evidence of your liking to support it, it's an opinion.

If they start rocky and by Christmas are struggling around the bottom half of the championship I can see him getting the sack and never managing again. However, if he can get through a full season with them, I think he's got a chance. You can see how passionate he is about it, how much he wants to prove himself, I honestly think he's got it in him to be a good manager but he just needs to get through the first season respectfully. I would take no pleasure at all in seeing him struggle and would love for him to succeed.

You can see how passionate he is about it, how much he wants to prove himself

Well that's what he says. His actions have suggested otherwise.

I'd still be pretty surprised if this goes through even though things seem to be at quite an advanced stage. I'd just assumed he didn't really fancy it any more.

If they start rocky and by Christmas are struggling around the bottom half of the championship I can see him getting the sack and never managing again. However, if he can get through a full season with them, I think he's got a chance. You can see how passionate he is about it, how much he wants to prove himself, I honestly think he's got it in him to be a good manager but he just needs to get through the first season respectfully. I would take no pleasure at all in seeing him struggle and would love for him to succeed.

Can you? I obviously need to get to Specsavers.

I think we can all agree just to be thankful he isn't our manager and hopefully never will be.

So hypothetically, say he does really well with Cardiff, promotes them and wins the Champions League in his 2nd PL season then you still wouldn't want him? Let's see how good he is before deciding if we EVER want him as manager.

Why would he do all those coaching badges if he wasn't arsed?

Because he did fancy it at one point and to keep his options as open as possible. My impression was that he was happy with the current situation to last as long as possible.

Hope he takes it. Really interested to see how good a manager he is.

:thup: I think that sums up everyone's thoughts, I'm fascinated to see how he gets on. As I say though, although I'm not exactly following them, isn't Cardiff's squad in danger of being picked apart? He could be taking them on at a very bad time.

Can you? I obviously need to get to Specsavers.

The guy struggles with intonation but from everything he's said about his time as NUFC manager; thinking through tactics and formations every hour of the day, not being able to sleep, how all his mates think he's mad to want to be a manager after such a successful career as a player, you can see or at least I can see, he wants it. Shearer, the player, did everything he could to maximise his game, all parts of his game were strong. You don't get that without a great mentality, it wasn't just talent, it was massive hard work. He'll bring that as a manager and instil it in his players, I honestly believe if he rides out the start he can make it as a manager. We'll see...