Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd love to keep Guthrie. Had a great season. Great technique.

f***ing fickle.  :lol:

I admitted a long time ago that I had forgiven him. I was very wrong. No doubt though, he went hiding in some very important games.

I'd love to keep Guthrie. Had a great season. Great technique.

f***ing fickle.  :lol:

I admitted a long time ago that I had forgiven him. I was very wrong. No doubt though, he went hiding in some very important games.

Oh okay.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting quotes from Guthrie. Does that mean he's willing to sign a new contract?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/7682562/Guthrie-Toon-must-keep-up

Guthrie - Toon must keep up

There's a good vibe, says Newcastle midfielder

Danny Guthrie feels Newcastle must look to build on their success if they are to remain a top-six side next season.

Alan Pardew's men have been one of the surprises of the season - still entertaining dreams of securing Champions League football after 33 games of the Premier League season.

But with the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham all likely to be making significant transfer moves in the summer, Guthrie knows that the next challenge is to keep up with their rivals.

The 25-year-old told the Newcastle Chronicle: "We will have to build in the summer.

"Every team gets stronger in the summer, so we will have to keep up.

"If we get a top-six finish then the next season is always important as you don't want to fall below the standards you have set."

Guthrie's own contract expires in the summer but the midfielder is due for talks over a new deal shortly.

And he feels the dressing room atmosphere at Newcastle has been one of the features of the club's success - despite several players not being able to speak English.

Guthrie added: "There's a good vibe around the changing room and a good spirit, as has been shown on the pitch.

"A couple of lads have come in who haven't spoken English, but they've been made to feel very welcome."

Honestly think it would be in his best interests to stay unless we're signing multiple midfielders. We'll be in Europe and the cups (for a couple of weeks anyway) and he will get plenty of chances.

I like him and think he can do a better job now than he used to, but the Premier League teams he could be a guaranteed starter for aren't ones he should be moving to.

Guest Roger Kint

All depends on his ambition, a new contract is effectively giving up any long term plans to play consistently. The next contract he signs will probably be the most important of his career as at 25 does he want to be a back up going into his prime or a regular elsewhere? I wonder if he will look back as Harper should be thinking what might have been  :undecided:

I've said before, him and Cabaye are almost a carbon copy of one another in the way they play. Guthrie is perfect for the continental game because he likes time on the ball.

IMO he will get many games in Europe next year, especially considering Tiote's discipline/injury record, there's also a chance we may sell Tiote this summer too. If he has any sense he will stay and sign a new deal. There is nothing stopping him asking for a move next summer, should he feel he wants more games, i'm sure Pardew would be sympathetic in that sense.

I like Guthrie and hope he decides to stay, i'd far rather we offered him a five year deal than Simpson (not that it's relevant).

I've said before, him and Cabaye are almost a carbon copy of one another in the way they play. Guthrie is perfect for the continental game because he likes time on the ball.

IMO he will get many games in Europe next year, especially considering Tiote's discipline/injury record, there's also a chance we may sell Tiote this summer too. If he has any sense he will stay and sign a new deal. There is nothing stopping him asking for a move next summer, should he feel he wants more games, i'm sure Pardew would be sympathetic in that sense.

I like Guthrie and hope he decides to stay, i'd far rather we offered him a five year deal than Simpson (not that it's relevant).

Good post, even if he is backup he'll get a lot of games. Wouldn't be against him being a starter if we don't buy anyone. IMO we are able to keep possession much better when Guthrie is playing, especially in 3 man midfield.

Good post, even if he is backup he'll get a lot of games. Wouldn't be against him being a starter if we don't buy anyone. IMO we are able to keep possession much better when Guthrie is playing, especially in 3 man midfield.

I agree with this. Also, his injury record isn't that great and so I don't believe he is cut out to play 30+ games a season. In effect, even if he moved somewhere to be a "starter" he wouldn't play the number of games that warrants through injury.