Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That's a totally different tangent, I've already said I have no problem bemoaning his ability level.

Good. Agreed but don't quite see how you can be happy to see someone with such a limited ability, who has consistently returned some of the worst efforts on a football pitch in a Toon shirt, live like a king, indirectly having taken money from supporters who work a thousand times harder and get a lot less financial reward.

Clearly this is extremely deep-rooted. :lol:

Fair enough, but I still maintain that you can't criticise him for wanting to stay and play for his hometown club.

Spot on. It is deep rooted. If he scored the winner for us in a Champions League final :) I'd still not forgive him for performances such as QPR away this season. An absolutely disgraceful effort. Can't criticise him for wanting to play for his hometown club but can for not giving the maximum of effort when he does.

Give over man.

That's a totally different tangent, I've already said I have no problem bemoaning his ability level.

Good. Agreed but don't quite see how you can be happy to see someone with such a limited ability, who has consistently returned some of the worst efforts on a football pitch in a Toon shirt, live like a king, indirectly having taken money from supporters who work a thousand times harder and get a lot less financial reward.

Clearly this is extremely deep-rooted. :lol:

Fair enough, but I still maintain that you can't criticise him for wanting to stay and play for his hometown club.

Spot on. It is deep rooted. If he scored the winner for us in a Champions League final :) I'd still not forgive him for performances such as QPR away this season. An absolutely disgraceful effort. Can't criticise him for wanting to play for his hometown club but can for not giving the maximum of effort when he does.

You're clueless.

Like Guthers but he isn't strong enough to hold a first team place down imo. Not for where we need to be. Solid backup but he needs to be getting a first team slot at his age. Will be a great player for the low half teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to see him go. Been a good servant to the club and barring a couple of heavily overplayed ricks he's been excellent when called upon IMO, particularly this season. Scored some nice goals in his time and played a major part in our promotion season; have a look back at how many goals he provided for Carroll when we turned it on in the second half of the season. He's got good technique and it stood out at that level.

It's heartening to see a player want regular first team football and while Cabaye and Tiote are here he'll always be at least third in the queue so you can't argue with his reasoning. I wish him well.

Sad to see him go. Been a good servant to the club and barring a couple of heavily overplayed ricks he's been excellent when called upon IMO, particularly this season. Scored some nice goals in his time and played a major part in our promotion season; have a look back at how many goals he provided for Carroll when we turned it on in the second half of the season. He's got good technique and it stood out at that level.

It's heartening to see a player want regular first team football and while Cabaye and Tiote are here he'll always be at least third in the queue so you can't argue with his reasoning. I wish him well.

This. Would quite like to see him move abroad, tbh.

:thup:

I like him and have no ill-feeling to him at all, infact i wish he stayed but if he wants to go elsewhere to get consistent game time then more power to him.

Wish him luck where ever he decides to go.

Madness bringing Shola into this at all. Stupid statement considering what Shola brings to the club in professionalism, pride, love for his hometown club and Mackem destruction.

Will be sad to see Gufrie go, fancy him when hes had a decent run of games there are times he plays some sublime football. But he's young and wants to further his career elsewhere, that is fine with me. Will wish best of luck to him whenever and wherever he plays unless it is against us.

Always like Guthrie, that season in the Championship he was absolute class for us, scored some cracking goals and was always good when called upon, hope he finds a decent club and keeps playing the way he has been, a move abroad would be great for him as his style seems more suited for Italy than here imo.

Would rather he stayed, but if this is some sort of sign that he'll be replaced by better, or that we think upcoming younger players are just as adequate... then I'm content.

This. Would quite like to see him move abroad, tbh.

Both of these, it'd be good to see technically proficient English players get picked up by top half teams in the other 'big leagues' - think Guthrie would do well in a less physically-demanding league.

Guest firetotheworks

Along with Routledge coming in, he was absolutely key to the second half of the promotion season. A very neat and tidy player, has a good eye for a pass and has a cracking right foot. He moved to another level this season along with a lot of the squad. Having said that, off the ball he still has a lot to learn if he's to be decent at this level. Not a patch on Cabaye, but I admire him for leaving us to get a first team place, even if I do think that it's an incredibly naive move.

Always seemed to take ten minutes in a game to get up to speed hence why he was always so poor off the bench. Saying that some very good performances this season and can leave the club with his head held high. Won't forget that bloody awful challenge he made on Craig Fagan mind, had a nasty streak in him too.

Guest firetotheworks

Always seemed to take ten minutes in a game to get up to speed hence why he was always so poor off the bench. Saying that some very good performances this season and can leave the club with his head held high. Won't forget that bloody awful challenge he made on Craig Fagan mind, had a nasty streak in him too.

I'll be honest, I loved that at the time. I completely understood his frustration, and he gave it out to an absolute c*** of a player. It was still daft on a professional level mind.

Hope he'll have a good career after all. :clap:

He's done well almost whenever he's played for us (probably bar the West Brom game) and he's been one of the very few players (probably alongside Butt, Barton and Given) who did well under Kinnear just after Keegan had left in 2008.

He had some real shockers in our shirt but on the whole he did more right than he did wrong.  It is a shame he can't stay but it's understandable that he wants first team football and you have to give the lad credit for giving up a nice number at a decent club on a good wedge to go and find it.  Compare his behaviour with the likes of Owen and some of the other wasters who hang on to football cllubs like leeches and he comes out very well.

Echoing what everyone has said above. Decent servant, can leave with head held fairly high.

I can't recall a player that has swayed my opinion to such extreme levels mind. When he first signed, I thought he looked like he had real potential and could be in the Gerrard mould with his progressive passing and style of play, only to then feel like he was so shit it made me angry :lol: He then put in some excellent shifts last season and arguably outshone Cabaye in the games they were on the field together. He was also instrumental in our second half season performances in the Championship.

I'm sure if he  had a regular run in a team he would do well, if only for his fitness' sake. He generally looks like he massively struggles if he's anything other than fully fit.

In before people are calling him a club legend :lol:

He is a very good player when he is at the top of his game.

Have scored some wonderful goals.

But he was too inconsistent, and at times had shocking performances.

If he can go to a club where he can get a full season, and gain some form, he can be a very good player. I like the raw material :lol:

All the best lad, good luck in the future.