Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

Wish him all the best wherever he ends at. He could've done better for the goal though if he still had his reflexes and managed to get a hand or two up but I won't complain. Hope that his experience can help him get a decent job for next season

Tbf to the bloke he's probably forgotten you can score from set pieces.

Guest icemanblue

That 37th minute ovation was unexpected and something very special. Proper lump in my throat. He looked overwhelmed by it.

Thanks, Steve. Good luck in whatever comes next.

That 37th minute ovation was unexpected and something very special. Proper lump in my throat. He looked overwhelmed by it.

:thup:

Really didn't think it would catch on but everyone in the stadium was applauding him, was absolutely brilliant. Thoroughly deserved as well.

:thup:

Really didn't think it would catch on but everyone in the stadium was applauding him, was absolutely brilliant. Thoroughly deserved as well.

Always best when something happens spontaneously like that.

From the Mirror:

Last word to Harper: “I was wobbling a bit in the 37th minute. It got to me. Then Podolski smashed the ball in my family allowance and snapped me out of it!

“I also saw my dad, hard as nails ex-miner in the tunnel before the game with my kids and he wobbling a bit, and that set me off a bit too!

“I will miss the intensity of this club. It IS the city. It is a heavy shirt to wear, an amazing club to play for.. if you can handle it.”

From the Mirror:

Last word to Harper: “I was wobbling a bit in the 37th minute. It got to me. Then Podolski smashed the ball in my family allowance and snapped me out of it!

“I also saw my dad, hard as nails ex-miner in the tunnel before the game with my kids and he wobbling a bit, and that set me off a bit too!

“I will miss the intensity of this club. It IS the city. It is a heavy shirt to wear, an amazing club to play for.. if you can handle it.”

Love that quote, very true, Owen, Duff, Parker springs to mind.

Thanks for the loyal service.

I feel sorry for him though, in my opinion he's wasted his career on our bench, sure he was liable to a clanger and liked to keep the ball for half an hour at time. However if he was a 1st choice goalkeeper elsewhere (and he could have been) then I feel he could have been given a few England call up's especially considering some of the shit England have had in goal over the last few years.

It would be nice to see him a get a season or so somewhere where he is first choice though.

I still maintain if he'd left at the time he was very unlucky to be second to Given, he'd have a few England caps to his name.

Without a doubt, no way would other have been picked ahead of him.

Great guy.

Money wasn't important to him., could have easily become a first team keeper somewhere else (and maybe earn a England cap) but didn't want to leave.

Good luck to the guy, hope he sticks around.

Just sat in the pub, proper lump in my throat. Jumped up and screamed like fuck at that save just after the applause. All Arsenal cunts in the vicinity looked at me like a mentalist and it just made it all the sweeter. Just wish we could've kept a clean sheet for him.