Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

It's not baseless like.  It might be being exaggerated somewhat but the facts are he's not of the caliber to be our starter and the current regime has decided to look to the future in terms of backups. 

It's tragic and all that he spent the better part of his keeper years as backup to Seamus, and thank you Steve for your loyal service, but he hasn't "earned" the right to anything playing wise based on that.  Play your best players not the ones you feel you "owe" because of tenure. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/9624055.stm

I didn't want to sit and do nothing for the last couple of years of my career.

I've heard it could be up until January, the longer the better. It's better than doing nothing.

There'd been a few clubs sniffing. Gus [Poyet, Brighton manager] was first-class on the phone.

He was watching a match while talking to me, but he still managed to sell the club to me.

I didn't hesitate, there's a fantastic set up here. The club's just come up, is going places and I thought why not? It's an exciting opportunity.

If I could speak to a young Steve Harper 10 years ago, I would have told him to go on loan then.

Everybody knows I haven't played enough football until the last two-and-a-half years.

I hadn't played a competitive game for about six months so it was nice to blow the cobwebs out.

It was disappointing to lose against West Ham with the possession we had.

Now I'm here, it's time to get stuck in. We want Brighton to consolidate and finish as high as we can. People tell me it's a lovely city. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

I've heard it could be up until January, the longer the better. It's better than doing nothing.

There'd been a few clubs sniffing. Gus [Poyet, Brighton manager] was first-class on the phone.

He was watching a match while talking to me, but he still managed to sell the club to me.

I didn't hesitate, there's a fantastic set up here. The club's just come up, is going places and I thought why not? It's an exciting opportunity.

If I could speak to a young Steve Harper 10 years ago, I would have told him to go on loan then.

Everybody knows I haven't played enough football until the last two-and-a-half years.

I hadn't played a competitive game for about six months so it was nice to blow the cobwebs out.

Now I'm here, it's time to get stuck in. We want Brighton to consolidate and finish as high as we can. People tell me it's a lovely city. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Sounds like he wants a permanent move in January to me. Can't really blame him tbh. To have a great goakeeper in Krul in front of you is one thing, to have a Elliot in front of you as well in a completely different story.

:undecided:

Still want Harper to finish his career here tbh.

Why?

I really like the guy and I respect him a lot. I'd prefer it if he finished his career as a Newcastle United player especially after being at the club for such a long time and being one of our longest serving players. I also still see him as a decent enough number 2 for us. Blind loyalty from my part if you want.

But I suppose that from his point of view, he doesn't have long left in his career, so ending it on a high (ie. being number 1 at another club) is the best thing for him to do.

• 2 weeks later...

:undecided:

Still want Harper to finish his career here tbh.

wtf for? he's happily sat on his arse and picked up a decent wage for donkeys years for doing nowt and being nothing more than mediocre when played.

Sentimental reasons really:

Why?

I really like the guy and I respect him a lot. I'd prefer it if he finished his career as a Newcastle United player especially after being at the club for such a long time and being one of our longest serving players. I also still see him as a decent enough number 2 for us. Blind loyalty from my part if you want.

But I suppose that from his point of view, he doesn't have long left in his career, so ending it on a high (ie. being number 1 at another club) is the best thing for him to do.

Why?

I fail to see why anyone would get sentinmental about someone so over confident and under talented who was quite happy to sit on his fat arse for varnigh 20 years and pick up a good wedge for fuck all.

Why?

I fail to see why anyone would get sentinmental about someone so over confident and under talented who was quite happy to sit on his fat arse for varnigh 20 years and pick up a good wedge for f*** all.

He did try and leave but Sir Bobby didn't want him to and from my understanding, Harper was offered a wage higher than the average back up keeper would make. When Shay did get injured, Harper didn't do a bad of job as his understudy. But I especially took a liking to him when we were in the Championship, he was safe hands for me back then.

He has been here for ages too and that adds to my sentiment for some reason. Each to their own why they like/not like Harper I suppose.

Why?

I fail to see why anyone would get sentinmental about someone so over confident and under talented who was quite happy to sit on his fat arse for varnigh 20 years and pick up a good wedge for f*** all.

He did try and leave but Sir Bobby didn't want him to and from my understanding, Harper was offered a wage higher than the average back up keeper would make. When Shay did get injured, Harper didn't do a bad of job as his understudy. But I especially took a liking to him when we were in the Championship, he was safe hands for me back then.

He has been here for ages too and that adds to my sentiment for some reason. Each to their own why they like/not like Harper I suppose.

:thup:

Never understood the dislike for Harper, him staying put meant we didn't have to go out trying to sign a back up keeper and we always had a solid keeper on the bench ready to step up when required. We will be lucky to have that now.

When you see some of the back up keepers at some clubs, even the big clubs (Taibi, Hilario anyone?) then you appreciate how lucky we have been, imo.

Why?

:thup:

Never understood the dislike for Harper, him staying put meant we didn't have to go out trying to sign a back up keeper and we always had a solid keeper on the bench ready to step up when required. We will be lucky to have that now.

When you see some of the back up keepers at some clubs, even the big clubs (Taibi, Hilario anyone?) then you appreciate how lucky we have been, imo.

I've had a skinful, but even when sober have not got a good word to say about him. hated the over confident arms out wide stance watching a shot just go over or just go wide and occasionly (kenny Miller for Derby anyone) go in after a desperate last second dive. If he had had anything about him he would have either gone on loan or gone permanently a long time ago.

Fair enough you don't like the confidence thing, each to their own but the not leaving thing is something I will never understand. As said, him staying and being unambitious saved us a lot of hassle and going through dodgy keepers trying to find suitable back up :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...