Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

• 2 months later...

Article in Journal today saying he doesn't want to move his family, wants to become a coach and would like to be a player/coach next season.

Canny. Wouldn't mind that like. I'm all for it, in fact.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/03/31/steve-harper-preparing-for-a-future-in-coaching-61634-30663383/

Steve Harper preparing for a future in coaching

by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

Mar 31 2012

AT 37, Steve Harper is looking to the future.

He has dabbled in refereeing and tried media work. But coaching is where the Easington-born goalkeeper’s future may lay.

Using his 19 years’ experience with and against some of English football’s biggest names appeals. Harper being Harper, he is doing something about it.

“If there was an opportunity to be a player-coach next season, it’s something I’d like to do,” he says. “I just want to get through this next year (the last of his contract). At my age, I don’t want to move my family around the country.

“Brighton (where he went on loan in October and November) was fine because it was an hour on the plane, and 20 minutes from the airport. If the chance to train here and play somewhere else came up, that would suit me.”

Tim Krul’s form and Rob Elliott’s arrival have pushed Harper to the margins, but he has used his spare time well.

“My son is in year four at Newcastle School for Boys,” he explains. “A pal of mine is an ex-Scotland rugby international (Richard Metcalfe) whose son, Max, goes there.

“He was coaching the rugby team before Christmas.

“When they asked me to get involved with coaching the years four and five at football, I was happy to.

“We had a tournament at Bowe School in Durham. It was a seven-a-side and we took half year fours and half years fives. We beat Sunderland 1-0 in the final with a golden goal from my son James.

“We got the headlines I’d waited 20 years for – ‘Newcastle beat Sunderland with a goal from Harper’. Unfortunately, it wasn’t me!

“On Thursday, we had a year four tournament, which is under-nines. We went to Yarm. The only team that had beaten us this year was Durham Choristers. We had them in the first game and beat them 6-0. They won that tournament as well, beating RGS in the final.

“I still coach at Red House Farm on Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings too.

“I owe a lot to the coaches here (at Newcastle), they’ve given me a lot of encouragement. When I was offered this school coaching on Mondays and Thursdays, I went to the manager and he said, ‘Do it – you’ll love every minute of it’.

“I pick their brains, especially Willie Donachie and John Carver.

“I’ve done my level two coaching and I’m now doing my level three, which will finish in August. I’m doing my goalkeepers’ B Licence in June.

“My aim is by the end of next season, when I’ll be 38, I’m hoping to be fully qualified to step into coaching if I want to stay in football.

“I’ve not taken any training sessions here as such, but when something comes up you just can’t help yourself. I’ve been in the game for 20 years. It’s just the nature of the beast.”

Looks like he'll be at NUFC to the end of his contract (which runs until June 2013 according to NUFC.com) then retire from playing.

• 3 months later...

Isn't it about time we promoted Alnwick anyway? Why waste money on a 3rd choice keeper.

Good point, although is he ready? also i'm pretty certain i read somewhere we was going to send him out on loan. Or did i dream that ?  :dontknow:

Sure i saw Harper doing an interview at the end of the season where he was saying he might need to go on loan - if he wasn't getting any games - suggesting he's still under contract for another year...

If he's off - fair enough. Can't say anything more than what's already been said. Would probably have been a very good goalkeeper because he was always a comfortable pair of hands in Given's absence. Deteriorated rapidly after we went down.

Guest BooBoo

We need another keeper. Harpers finished at the top level and from what I've seen, Elliot is nowhere near PL quality.

Thought it was a strange decision to let Soderbergh go when they knew that Harper was nearing retirement and that Forster woud likely leave.

I DEMAND A TESTIMONIAL!

Hope he goes tbh, although that leaves us with another player needed. As mentioned we should be able to find someone on cheaper wages. Not convinced by Elliott in his Carling Cup outing.

Alnwick is 'highly-rated' (when have we heard that before about youngsters who never dirtied their boots for the first team) so I assume he'll move to third choice should Harper leave.

Although, if Harper does leave I'd imagine we'll look to bring another keeper in.

I've always liked Harper. He was, more often than not, a reliable understudy to Given. He always seemed to do a solid job whenever called upon.

Thought he was brilliant for us in the Championship as our number 1 - "safe hands" if you will. But unfortunately, with age, comes a decline in ability and that looks to have come Harper's way. But I do think that he still has the capabilities to be a decent backup for Krul (for one more season, at least).

It'll be a shame if he does leave, always thought he would retire here. If he does move on, then I wish him all the best. The man has my respect.