Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

Guest BooBoo

I honestly dont think he was that great in the Championship.

For years we peddled the myth that we had the best pair of keepers in the league. In Given we had one great keeper and then we had Haper who on every level simply wasn't as good.

For years we peddled the myth that we had the best pair of keepers in the league. In Given we had one great keeper and then we had Haper who on every level simply wasn't as good.

Don't buy that fully tbh.. there was certainly a period where Harper was as good and was unlucky to find himself injured or out of the team when Given returned.

Given was certainly classier over his career but then again we saw so much more of him than Harper. I agree with the last few years though Harper has been a different player which is a shame.

Totally disagree.

We have been spoiled for YEARS. Most clubs in the Premiership would have been lucky to have Harper... I am not just talking about Arsenal either.

Personally I thought in his prime harper could give Given a run for his money, but by the time Given left, Harper was on his way down and we never saw the best of him. Think he could've started for a UEFA cup level team tho, not top 4.

Personally I thought in his prime harper could give Given a run for his money, but by the time Given left, Harper was on his way down and we never saw the best of him. Think he could've started for a UEFA cup level team tho, not top 4.

Was a spell at the beginning of the 01-02 season (Chelsea & Troyes clangers) where it looked like Harper might get the nod. Bobby stuck with Given and was brilliant from then on.

Guest nufc1892

Sure i saw Harper doing an interview at the end of the season where he was saying he might need to go on loan - if he wasn't getting any games - suggesting he's still under contract for another year...

If he's off - fair enough. Can't say anything more than what's already been said. Would probably have been a very good goalkeeper because he was always a comfortable pair of hands in Given's absence. Deteriorated rapidly after we went down.

saw that too, so his contract ends in 2013

• 3 weeks later...
Guest neesy111

In all seriousness, Harper and Elliot are both liabilities. We should seriously be considering bringing in a decent understudy for Krul.

Agreed.

Guest neesy111

If a tree falls down in the forest and no one is around, do the other trees take the piss and call it a 'Harper'?

:mackems:

Guest Realist

Likely still in the process of creaking his way to ground to block Sturridge's goal from last February.