Craig Bellamy

James

Still maintain that Robert and him together were the best buys I've seen at this club.  Completely transformed a team without much pace to the best counter team in the league almost overnight.

Was amazing to see.

What was more amazing was that neither had been Robson's first choice targets for each position... (Jeffers/Ronaldinho)

Jeffers/zenden ...... or was it giggs?

late to the party here, but Bellamy's one-on-one finishing was awful like.  Could have had about 4 against sunderland.  (The 1-0 Nobby penalty at the SoS)

Glad somebody was seeing what I was seeing...

late to the party here, but Bellamy's one-on-one finishing was awful like.  Could have had about 4 against sunderland.  (The 1-0 Nobby penalty at the SoS)

Is anyone saying he was a great finisher a la Shearer?

Is anyone saying he was a great finisher a la Shearer?

Nope - but when I stated that his finishing was abysmal and never really improved and that his ability to score a one on one with the keeper was a joke, I was told that this was nonsense.

Fair to say Bellamy's strengths lay in assists rather than finishing. Bellamy really should have been more respectful to Shearer who obviously was in a different league to him as far as forwards go. Though I guess Shearer being a supposed Souness favourite and  confidante caused that pathetic text.

The main reason Coventry City were relegated prior to us buying Bellamy incidentally, was Gordon Strachan using Bellamy as a centre forward for most of the season, by which time it was apparent that Bellamy couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, such were the amount of one on ones and excellent chances that he squandered.

Loved him when he was here, his pace and energy were terrific and he used to burst past players with ease. Shame that he had to leave us so early on in his career. Fucking Souness.

Fantastic player who helped transform our team.

Absolute cunt of a person.

:thup:

He was a bit Owen-esque when it came to Wales as well.

Top player though and him and Shearer was the perfect match up in its prime.

Fantastic player who helped transform our team.

Absolute cunt of a person.

:thup:

He was a bit Owen-esque when it came to Wales as well.

Top player though and him and Shearer was the perfect match up in its prime.

He was defo the sort of guy that could get under your skin/wind you up. His soccer school in Africa at least shows that there was a decent bloke somewhere in the mix though.

The image of Bellamy trying to fight Shearer. :lol:

You'd be knocked into the middle of next week Craig and the only wannabe hard man is you.

Not sure how club captain Shearer not chinning 5ft 7 Lomano Lua Lua somehow portrays him in a bad light either.

Loved Bellamy as a player here but he's a right arsehole.  Suppose he needs to talk about true greats like Al to improve those book sales.

Or he thinks doing charity work makes up for him being a bullying little cunt. I read the Riise story earlier and he comes across really badly.

Aye but he was shitfaced and its fine to attack people with golf clubs if you're shitfaced boyo, everyone does it.

Seems to have mellowed out a bit these past few years but still doesn't dismiss how much of a twat he was/still is - his one character defect. Still a pretty great striker mind, I would say his peak years were when he was at City. Joining us was just the beginning...selling him was a bad idea in hindsight. Thanks Graeme.

tbf his finishing did improve after leaving us, though he spent more time out wide (ironic considering the fallouts when he was with us).

Thought his finishing did improve quite a bit during his time at Newcastle. In his first season especially the way he created utter panic in defences with those never ending runs was amazing but his finishing was so often terrible.

He just gradually got better until he was easily the best player at the club the season he left :(

I was bitter about him when he left but now think very fondly of him. Great to watch and associate him with great memories. Him and Shearer man. Still feel he's ours more than anyone else's having never spent more than 2 consecutive seasons anywhere since.

He turned down Birmingham to go to Celtic then he went to Blackburn after he left us. Make of that what you will.

Are you trying to say he wasn't a great player when he left us? Preposterous if so.

Why can't that sort of system work anymore? What's wrong with two tricky wingers with good delivery, a good aerial threat who can hold the ball up, and someone who can feed off him and cause havoc with his pace? It's only 10 years ago, it's the same sport, why can't it work now? The 4-4-2 from the Keegan & Robson days was far more entertaining than any 4-3-3/4-5-1/4-2-3-1 or whatever bollocks.

Why can't that sort of system work anymore? What's wrong with two tricky wingers with good delivery, a good aerial threat who can hold the ball up, and someone who can feed off him and cause havoc with his pace? It's only 10 years ago, it's the same sport, why can't it work now? The 4-4-2 from the Keegan & Robson days was far more entertaining than any 4-3-3/4-5-1/4-2-3-1 or whatever bollocks.

We played our best football under Pardew with a 442 and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Things worked well with 433 in an attacking sense but this was eventually found out defensively. That does still work well in some games though.

4231 and 451 have never worked well at this club and never will unless we have the right personnel, which we don't.  Playing such systems just indicates us as a bottom half club.