Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

I remember when a midfield of just Tiote and Nolan was good enough for the premier league, that season he was immense, but he's just way too inconsistent. He does have a nasty habit of disappearing imo, he would often be immense in a big game and then be awful in loads of more run of the mill games. I do believe he can get his form back with good coaching but I'm not sure he'll ever get rid of that stupid streak that can cost us. Definitely on form would add muscle to our midfield in important games, but alongside Anita I fear that is way too negative. Anita is the opposite, not much muscle but clever and I tend to prefer that. Last night's pen give away may signify he's rusty or he's still not paying enough attention.

I'm happy for him to be in the squad, but I question whether he has the discipline to turn up 80 mins in to shore things up, it may work, but he may give away a pen.

Disappearing wouldn't be one of the things that I would accuse Tiote of. Loads of times when we're shit he tries to make things happen, even though there's others around him that should be doing so and it often leads to him giving the ball away, but he certainty doesn't hide.

He's lost like 5 steps of pace (not that he was fast) but he covered the pitch far better before and was far more agile. That first season he'd fucking battle and just barrel some people over and displayed pretty great range of passing.

I wonder if McClaren even rates him. He seemed to be quite surprised when he had such a successful first season here.

Not sure but he's got a decent amount of game time for a guy with no pre season

If he's not sold I still think he'll have a part to play this season assuming McClaren rates him. He's much better than Colback, and there are some games where he might be better suited than Anita if we need a more physically imposing defensive midfielder.

Is Tiote really "much better" than Colback? The player I have seen over the past few seasons is not "much better" than any other senior player in the squad. I like what Tiote represents in terms of a physical midfield presence, so I am hoping he can recover his past form, but he's looked a poor player more often than not in the recent time frame.

It depends on whether it is the Tiote who was pretty great when he first arrived here, or the one who we've seen more recently who tries to do too much with the ball and looks half arsed about it. I do like him better than Colback because he is always looking for the ball whereas Colback likes to jog along just behind the play and hope no one passes to him. I'm hoping that McClaren will rejuvenate Tiote and give him a defined role in the team.

:lol:

As if there are people thick enough to still think Tiote's a Premier League footballer.

You never know. McClaren was thick enough to give Coloccini a new contract, maybe he'll be equally dense when it comes to Tiote.

As if there are people who don't instantly agree with Ronaldo. What fools.

Instantly? We're talking about a player who's been an utter liability for years and has no discernible PL-level footballing attributes. I really do hope this is just an act and you're not quite this stupid in reality.

Tiote has had his time, thought we should have shipped him this summer and kept Abeid. Colback and Tiote is still pretty close call though. Neither should be starting, I know that for sure. Anita is comfortably better than both.

Why do people always have to be thick or stupid man? [emoji38]

Unfortunately there aren't too many other words for people who continue to defy basic common sense. Even you've figured out Tiote's useless and you were his no.1 fan a couple of years back.

Unfortunately there aren't too many other words for people who continue to defy basic common sense. Even you've figured out Tiote's useless and you were his no.1 fan a couple of years back.

Off with the hyperbole again. Fairly confident I said little more than with good coaching he could be an effective PL player again. Still not even sure that's not the case, though evidence at the moment suggests not.

Off with the hyperbole again. Fairly confident I said little more than with good coaching he could be an effective PL player again. Still not even sure that's not the case, though evidence at the moment suggests not.

I think his time has come and gone tbh especially as a starting CM. With good coaching though he might be an effective player to bring on when we need to just shut her down, as with the game at OT. If he starts games again he'll just start to believe his own hype again and be back to his old-new self.

Mind you, I'd have the old Tiote in place of Colback alongside Anita every day of the week.

I agree that tiotes performances have being mostly poor over last couple of seasons but considering the alternatives there's no denying that's there's not much between them. I think for the likes of the game today I would certainly prefer him than colback