Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

• 1 month later...

Quite happy for us to sell this useless clogger tbh.

It's a shame because I do believe he is a pretty good DM, if he's not tasked with doing anything but hold. After Cabaye left he looked hopeless in midfield.

I don't think we're in any position to be losing players, but if we manage to flog him on for a decent price (God knows what that would be at this point), I'd be okay letting him walk.

It's a shame because I do believe he is a pretty good DM, if he's not tasked with doing anything but hold. After Cabaye left he looked hopeless in midfield.

I don't think we're in any position to be losing players, but if we manage to flog him on for a decent price (God knows what that would be at this point), I'd be okay letting him walk.

I think he believed his own hype after his first season here. Failed to really build on his initial success and was found out. He was regularly giving away posession in dangerous areas 3 or 4 times a match, but still guaranteed a start when fit under Pardew.

Hmmm ... McClaren actually seems to have a clue.

What?  Tiote was earmarked for disposal by the high council a long time ago.  Its got fack all to do with McClaren.  The main thing is, we are shifting pleyers before we are buying and will potentially miss out on targets because of this reason.

Change in policy my arse.

Agree.

He's in the tier above Cisse for me in terms of the 'who I'd like us to peddle' league. Both are unreliable and ideally we'd replace both of them, but this guy's absolutely finished. Brilliant first season and occasionally average - mostly terrible - since. It would depress me hugely if we're going into the season with him as first choice.

I don't see what's so difficult about looking where you pass the ball.

If it wasn't this club, I'd say flog and replace. Sadly that's not a real option with us.

Oh, Pardew definitely misjudged and ultimately spoiled Tiote, like he did and almost-did with so many. But the main mistake he made with Tiote was thinking he was good enough to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. Pardew was a good manager and I wished we'd been careful what we wished for, but he got it wrong with Cheick.