Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Mojo used to be a bit of a supporter of Tiote, too. It should be painfully obvious to everyone now how incapable he is of playing effective PL football.

Unless there's evidence to the contrary I've always said if he was suitably coached to do nothing but sit, tackle and break up play there's no reason why he couldn't be a decent PL player, decent no more. I stand by this in football terms however his injury record added to how bad he's actually been means I'd rather send him down the river.

As much as he was liability last season if we can get him to again realise he's not a footballer and get him to sit in front of the back 4 and play like he did in his first season it would mean we wouldn't have to consider playing 2 out of Colback, Anita or Abeid and that would make selection so much more flexible.

FourFourTwo magazine season preview believes he is our Key Player this season

If he's fit, committed and concentrates souly on protecting the back 4 allowing the rest on the midfield to support the attack then yes, there probably isn't anyone more key for us. He's the only one we've got who can do it, if he doesn't we ship in a relegation numbers or goals and always have done when he's not playing or playing well.

I'm guessing they didn't mean that though, so get your point on 442  :lol:

Is he actually alive? I would love to see him replace Colback and find a bit of his old form.

Imagine he comes good, Aarons and Ayoze shine, colo finds some of the old magic and Mbemba and Nitrovic playing fist season wonderstuff... Oh, we can dream!

Will surely take up one of the spots currently used by Anita/Colback. Interested to see which though. He clearly likes Colback in giving him the armband but he is also apparently a big fan of Anita.

In which case I don't see where Tiote fits in, especially with Wijnaldum to slot in somewhere as well. At the moment we don't even know where Tiote's fitness levels are, or whether he's prepared to take this season seriously. There was talk of him leaving not so long ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely grew into the game - loved the bit near the end where he took the piss, flicking it over the heads of 2 players then barging another couple out of the way, bit more like the Tiote of old.

I wonder if McClaren even rates him. He seemed to be quite surprised when he had such a successful first season here.

Not sure but he's got a decent amount of game time for a guy with no pre season

I wonder if McClaren even rates him. He seemed to be quite surprised when he had such a successful first season here.

If he's not sold I still think he'll have a part to play this season assuming McClaren rates him. He's much better than Colback, and there are some games where he might be better suited than Anita if we need a more physically imposing defensive midfielder.

If he's not sold I still think he'll have a part to play this season assuming McClaren rates him. He's much better than Colback, and there are some games where he might be better suited than Anita if we need a more physically imposing defensive midfielder.

I agree, I could see him working very well with Anita"if" McClaren can coach him back into the player he was under Hughton. When he was patrolling in front of the back four, winning the ball then just giving it to another player to distribute he was very good and it really made a difference for the defence. Pardew as with other players basically uncoached him so he went away from what he did very well picking up awful habits and Hollywood passes/shots.

He may just be too far gone but he's one I'm intrigued to see if McClaren can get back to something of a decent player.

Is Tiote really "much better" than Colback? The player I have seen over the past few seasons is not "much better" than any other senior player in the squad. I like what Tiote represents in terms of a physical midfield presence, so I am hoping he can recover his past form, but he's looked a poor player more often than not in the recent time frame.