Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

My understanding was if you bounced back first time you got nowt, but then you gained the parachute payment for the second season. Could be wrong like...

It’s changed, if you go up after a relegation then you don’t receive parachute payments, nor would your parachute payments start all over again if you go back down within 5 years. So say we go back down in the next 4 seasons (not including this one where we are presumed safe), then our parachute payments would only start from the 2nd season of parachute payments instead of the 1st.

My understanding was if you bounced back first time you got nowt, but then you gained the parachute payment for the second season. Could be wrong like...

It’s changed, if you go up after a relegation then you don’t receive parachute payments, nor would your parachute payments start all over again if you go back down within 5 years. So say we go back down in the next 4 seasons (not including this one where we are presumed safe), then our parachute payments would only start from the 2nd season of parachute payments instead of the 1st.

None of that makes the slightest bit of sense.

If you bounce back first time, I'm sure you get the parachute payment for the season you're in the championship but not for the second or third season as you're back on the gravy train at the point of promotion?

As an aside on this point, I was told yesterday that there is actually a small "parachute payment"-type package to lessen the financial impact on clubs relegated from the championship to league 1. Ergo, our mates from down the road will be in receipt of two lots of parachute payments next season if as expected they go down. Which will probably account for about 80% of their turnover. Which it's hard not to laugh at!

Just saw on twitter that Carragher has just posted some video of Liverpool fans singing some song about always winning in Europe and their great history etc and it got me thinking. 

Isn't it common knowledge that Carragher grew up an Everton fan?  I'm sure that if you play for a club for as long as Carragher does, you end up loving that club, but I find it really odd that players are often quoted as saying how much they enjoy scoring or doing well against the team they grew up supporting.  Maybe when you're a player, football just becomes a job and nothing more and/or you never have an entire childhood where you are passionate about one club so it doesn't matter, but I can't imagine ever enjoying scoring against Newcastle.

Guest firetotheworks

Any fan of one of Milner's ex clubs that boos him is a proper phlegm wad, like. There aren't many players that put in the graft like he does.

Guest neesy111

Any fan of one of Milner's ex clubs that boos him is a proper phlegm wad, like. There aren't many players that put in the graft like he does.

Almost 14 years ago when we signed him.  Bit mental he's still playing at the top level after such a long time.

I found it strange that City fans were booing Milner last night. He's like Mr. Nice Guy.

Some of our lot do as well mind albeit he was far better there! What was Souness’ wonderfully-inspiring quote about him again?!

Guest firetotheworks

You can't win anything with 11 James Milners.

Something along those lines. I'm loath to stick up for Souness, but he did explain afterwards that he meant that you can't rely on quality alone, you need experience. Still a weird way of saying it.

Just saw on twitter that Carragher has just posted some video of Liverpool fans singing some song about always winning in Europe and their great history etc and it got me thinking. 

Isn't it common knowledge that Carragher grew up an Everton fan?  I'm sure that if you play for a club for as long as Carragher does, you end up loving that club, but I find it really odd that players are often quoted as saying how much they enjoy scoring or doing well against the team they grew up supporting.  Maybe when you're a player, football just becomes a job and nothing more and/or you never have an entire childhood where you are passionate about one club so it doesn't matter, but I can't imagine ever enjoying scoring against Newcastle.

Aye.

There's this picture of young Steven Gerrard in an Everton kit too.

toffee_gerrard.0.jpg

Aye.

There's this picture of young Steven Gerrard in an Everton kit too.

toffee_gerrard.0.jpg

Surprised to discover Terry Mac is an Everton fan, too. And related to Carragher.

Chants of "there's only one greedy bastard" by a pocket of ours at Anfield last month. Bizarre.

:lol: wat? That's mental.

I could kind of understand it yesterday; he didn't deserve booing but I think some Man City fans were just trying easy ways to get an intimidating atmosphere going. But why any Newcastle fan would want to boo Milner is beyond me.

Chants of "there's only one greedy bastard" by a pocket of ours at Anfield last month. Bizarre.

:lol: wat? That's mental.

I could kind of understand it yesterday; he didn't deserve booing but I think some Man City fans were just trying easy ways to get an intimidating atmosphere going. But why any Newcastle fan would want to boo Milner is beyond me.

Aye - and as if he left for money.