Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

ridiculously early to be judging him. first game for a new team against a team that keep the ball very well, also playing alongside shola fucking ameobi. i think with the right man next to him and a midfielder further forward he could do a good job for us

Guess it's possible Pardew might still be trying to work out what kind of forward Ba is and how to get the best out of him. Though presumably he must have some idea!

Chatting with my son this morning and neither of us could really pin down what his best role might be - on his own, in a twosome, or wide. Just haven't seen enough of him.

I wish I could say that it's ludicrous that Pardew wouldn't know what type of forward Ba is but that went through my mind as well.

Guess it's possible Pardew might still be trying to work out what kind of forward Ba is and how to get the best out of him. Though presumably he must have some idea!

Chatting with my son this morning and neither of us could really pin down what his best role might be - on his own, in a twosome, or wide. Just haven't seen enough of him.

I wish I could say that it's ludicrous that Pardew wouldn't know what type of forward Ba is but that went through my mind as well.

it's a given that his attributes as a footballer weren't top of the list of reasons we brought him in

ridiculously early to be judging him. first game for a new team against a team that keep the ball very well, also playing alongside shola fucking ameobi. i think with the right man next to him and a midfielder further forward he could do a good job for us

Absolutely convinced he'll get 10 goals in the league at a bare minimum.

Still can't believe some of these comments :lol:

People are just commenting on what he was like yesterday and in pre-season. I think he'll do the business for us, but when I've seen him in pre-season and yesterday, he has been underwhelming, to say the very least.

Got every faith in Ba to hit 12-15 this season but he's going to need more support and service than he got on Saturday. Thankfully we won't be playing Arsenal every week and he'll get fitter and better as the season goes on.

Got every faith in Ba to hit 12-15 this season but he's going to need more support and service than he got on Saturday. Thankfully we won't be playing Arsenal every week and he'll get fitter and better as the season goes on.

:thup:

He might have played poorly yesterday regardless... but i don't know what we're expecting by sticking him up top with a striker like Shola anyway. Even with both players at their best - that's never a combination that's gonna work in this league, especially not against a team like Arsenal who barely give you a sniff of possession. And before this turns into a "Shola's shit" parade... i'd say the same for pretty much all of the other strikers on our books, Best (who i rate) included.

I want see Jonas and Obertan either side of him next week.

Same here. I don't have many doubts on Ba's qualities, I even saw glimpses of them yesterday, I just want to see Pardew utilise him better. He's been played alongside Shola quite a bit even in pre-season games and I just don't see that working.

Needs the ball on the deck to be effective. Simple as.

He's a good header of the ball ironically but he's not that bully type, he's quite creative in his build up play but again the ball needs to be at his feet. Will be great, we just need to play to his and Cabaye's strengths.

I'm yet to be convinced of him. Thought he was very poor yesterday, worse than Shola even. That said, ive not seem him enough to comment much further. He was pretty poor at Leeds.

Beyond that all ive really seen of him were his goals at West Ham where most of them came from goalmouth scrambles. Hopefully he starts to show a little more.

Don't think we can rely on him to get us enough goals, if we start the season with him as our main striker we are seriously fuked.

Fingers crossed we bring someone in soon, until then he and a lot of others need fitness and time to gel, think he'll get better, just needs a partner to link up with.

ridiculously early to be judging him. first game for a new team against a team that keep the ball very well, also playing alongside shola f***ing ameobi. i think with the right man next to him and a midfielder further forward he could do a good job for us

Absolutely convinced he'll get 10 goals in the league at a bare minimum.

If he plays the majority of our games and doesn't miss too many because of the ACN, then I would say he'll get 10-15 goals.

I'm yet to be convinced of him. Thought he was very poor yesterday, worse than Shola even. That said, ive not seem him enough to comment much further. He was pretty poor at Leeds.

Beyond that all ive really seen of him were his goals at West Ham where most of them came from goalmouth scrambles. Hopefully he starts to show a little more.

I agree completely, Shola worked his socks off in the first half whereas Ba just seemed to jog ebverywhere, even the challenges for 50/50 balls. I was really unimpressed by him, which is probably what Pards thought aswell subbing him after 45 mins....

On the flip side he didn't get any service from the midfield, was this due to his slow movement or our crappy midfielders???

I agree completely, Shola worked his socks off in the first half whereas Ba just seemed to jog ebverywhere, even the challenges for 50/50 balls. I was really unimpressed by him, which is probably what Pards thought aswell subbing him after 45 mins....

On the flip side he didn't get any service from the midfield, was this due to his slow movement or our crappy midfielders???

I'm sorry, what?

I'm sorry, what?

:lol:

I'm sorry, what?

I know... I can't get my head around that at all. I thought Shola was awful in the first half. Didn't chase anything and the ball just bounced off him.

At least Ba was making runs and closing down.

I'd say Ba was just as poor tbh. Looked miles off the pace.

Still don't know why people are rating him so highly after 3.5 months of Premiership football, his purple patch was no more impressive than Leon Best's. Top strikers cost top dollar, which we have got which BFA won't pay. His goal record prior to West Ham was patchy at best (no pun intended)

I'm sorry, what?

I know... I can't get my head around that at all. I thought Shola was awful in the first half. Didn't chase anything and the ball just bounced off him.

At least Ba was making runs and closing down.

I'd say Ba was just as poor tbh. Looked miles off the pace.

Agreed, but so did the rest. What lacked for us on Saturday was a link between the strikers and midfielders. The gap was way to big.

Still don't know why people are rating him so highly after 3.5 months of Premiership football, his purple patch was no more impressive than Leon Best's. Top strikers cost top dollar, which we have got which BFA won't pay. His goal record prior to West Ham was patchy at best (no pun intended)

Aye, had a rather shoddy one in three record didn't he?

:rolleyes:

Aye, had a rather shoddy one in three record didn't he?

:rolleyes:

His proper shit 15 goal a season record is a worry like