Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Feel sorry for him and Anita. Although both will start in Europe they look to have been firmly placed on the bench in the premiership if everyone is fit. Nice to have a squad with some depth! Sad they have both looked good especially marveaux in recent games, dont see him starting now.

Feel sorry for him and Anita. Although both will start in Europe they look to have been firmly placed on the bench in the premiership if everyone is fit. Nice to have a squad with some depth! Sad they have both looked good especially marveaux in recent games, dont see him starting now.

Having initially been quite annoyed by Anita's absence over the last couple of games, it really wouldn't surprise me if Pardew was just giving him a break. There's still a lot of important games to play (and literally thousands of miles to travel); I'm sure he'll be a regular fixture in the starting line-up. He ought to be anyway, he's deserved to keep his place.

It isn't as cut-and-dried when it comes to Marveaux. Because if Pardew sees him as a CM, I fail to see how he's ever going to oust Cabaye or Sissoko. I want to see him given another shot on the wing tbh.

It must be difficult for them knowing that good form and impactful appearances in the first team do not guarantee inclusion in the team. 

Jonas should have been nowhere near the first team based on his form but he's been an ever-present. If I was Marveaux i'd be pretty pissed off right now.

Marveaux missed the Villa game, which we won and consequently couldn't get into a - with hindsight - rightly unchanged team for Chelsea.  With a bit of perspective, he should have nothing to grumble about.

True but Marveaux has been good pretty much all season whereas Jonas has been shite.

On that basis Marveaux should have been in the starting line up way before Villa.

I'd still like to see him on the left of the 4-2-3-1 with Ben Arfa other side. I know Marveaux seems very much like a drift centrally kid of player, but his left foot could offer excellent width in the right situation.

With our current full-back set-up, that would give us both the natural crossing option (Marveaux and Debuchy) and the option to cut inside (Santon and Ben Arfa) on both flanks.

I'll be so disappointed if Hatem comes in for Gouffran as opposed to Jonas; it wouldn't make any sense at all. Gouffran retains possession better and, as far as I can see, has excellent workrate and a similar eye for defensive duties as Jonas. Probably not to the same extent (he's clearly an attacker), but he rushed back plenty times at the weekend, he collected the ball from deep and kept it. Having Jonas instead of him would be needlessly cautious.

We really needed Marveaux in the side prior to a couple of weeks ago as we had no creativity in the side, now we have Cabaye back and Sissoko he really isn't needed and we're probably better off with a couple of more physical and energetic players in there ahead of him. For me though Anita could have done Perch's job and then some, so I hope it is just a case of him getting a rest although I'm not sure, Pardew just doesn't strike me as that kind of manager.

Sissoko, Anita & Cabaye should really be our central 3 against the lesser sides at home, but again Pardew just doesn't seem to be the type of manager who will go with that, Tiote will always get the nod.

I'd still like to see him on the left of the 4-2-3-1 with Ben Arfa other side. I know Marveaux seems very much like a drift centrally kid of player, but his left foot could offer excellent width in the right situation.

With our current full-back set-up, that would give us both the natural crossing option (Marveaux and Debuchy) and the option to cut inside (Santon and Ben Arfa) on both flanks.

Agreed. Rather sexy and unorthodox balance we'd have going on there. On paper it's got the potential to be unpredictable and fluid. I like Gouffran based on what I've seen - and would have no qualms having him and Hatem either side of Papiss - but having two righties down the left has hindered us at times in the past.

I thought Marveaux was anonymous after he came on to replace Gouffran. For me Marveaux only seems to have an impact when he's playing behind the striker. In hindsight maybe Obertan would have been a better sub for Gouffran. Obertan can often play like a headless chicken but his pace is similar to Gouffran and Gouffran's pace was causing Tottenham problems.

I'd play Marveaux on Thursday behind the striker.

IMO he's not really a wide man. Gouff's outright pace and directness. likes to get ahead of play where as Marv likes to dictate play more with his feet on the ball, passing or skipping past one or two.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but bringing Obertan on for Gouff and Marv for Perch, pushing Mous deeper would've been better. Can't complain though, Marv is leagues ahead of Obertan football intelligence wise.

Marveaux has a lot of fans on here but we don't seem to have won many games when Marveaux plays from the start. I guess a lot of that is to do with him getting games when the likes of Ben Arfa and Cabaye have been out so he hasn't been playing in our strongest team. People like him but does he make a big enough impact in games for us? I'm still not sure whether the Premier League suits him. He hasn't played a lot of games but you'd like to see him stamp his authority on a game. For example, if he plays on Thursday I'd like to see him have a big influence on the game.

Marveaux has a lot of fans on here but we don't seem to have won many games when Marveaux plays from the start. I guess a lot of that is to do with him getting games when the likes of Ben Arfa and Cabaye have been out so he hasn't been playing in our strongest team. People like him but does he make a big enough impact in games for us? I'm still not sure whether the Premier League suits him. He hasn't played a lot of games but you'd like to see him stamp his authority on a game. For example, if he plays on Thursday I'd like to see him have a big influence on the game.

Eh? I think the fact he was still playing well whilst we were losing says how good a player he is rather than anything else.

For me it seemed pretty clear Marv is better behind the striker like someone suggested. If anything both Jonas and Marv made a case for why Jonas is starting on the wing. I don't know but he seems lost when he doesn't have the ball and seems more like a playmaker. Would start him centrally against Metalist with Cabaye and Tiote behind him to see how he does.

He looked very good in a poor team for us, he was one of the few willing to carry the ball forward from midfield to attack, and could pass the ball. I'm very happy to have him for squad depth and imo should be seen as an option for the no 10 role. On the wings he can drift out of the game and doesn't do the defensive work. Looked a decent can opener in midfield though.