Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

There is no doubt he has ability but not sure he is ready for 1st team EPL football, games just pass him by way to much. Looks lost & out of his depth I am not writing him off or anything but he is going to need a lot of time to find his feet.

Well put it this way, I haven't seen him play well for us once out wide. I've seen him play well plenty of times when in the centre.

He's barely been played wide though, although I understand he's barely played at all since joining on the whole.

From this season I can remember the first half against Everton (a) where he was on the right and struggled with Baines/Pienaar and then Man Utd (a) where he played advanced on the left and was very good. After a bit of digging there were also the two earliest Europa games and Maritimo where he scored. The rest of the time has been bits and pieces here and there, including last season (where he impressed out on the right in cameos and managed to get into the team).

Not exactly much to go on. Yesterday we had lost our foothold even before Gouffran's injury, too, it was a tough situation to come into.

I don't think Saturday can be used to prove or disprove Marveaux' ability to play wide, seeing as that's not where he seemed to play at all even though he came in to replace an injured Gouffran. Looked to me like he was operating in an already congested central area, rather than providing a wide option. Whether this was tactical or not I do not know, but he certainly didn't play as far forward and wide as the man he replaced.

I don't think Saturday can be used to prove or disprove Marveaux' ability to play wide, seeing as that's not where he seemed to play at all even though he came in to replace an injured Gouffran. Looked to me like he was operating in an already congested central area, rather than providing a wide option. Whether this was tactical or not I do not know, but he certainly didn't play as far forward and wide as the man he replaced.

I think the problem came because Jonas was on the other side so neither was providing much attacking impetus or width.

If Marveaux was wide left with Ben Arfa or Gouffran on the right then it wouldn't be as big an issue.

Marveaux is one of the most intelligent footballers at the club right now. Great passer, excellent delivery and can go past players as well. The only issue is defensively he's non-existent. Seeing Gouffran's work rate has only highlighted this. Against certain teams where we won't be exposed he could still be a key player, especially coming off the bench. Whether he would be happy sitting on the bench is the issue.

He looks like he's more suited to a orthodox wing-role - as opposed to one of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 - because he can dink past players and has reasonable delivery. Seeing as we rarely play 4-4-2 these days, I think he's better placed in a central position.

Agree with TRon with regards to work-rate; Gouffran's excellent determination up and down the park has highlighted Marveaux's weaknesses in this area. It's a bit of a cliche but Marveaux looks like a bit of a luxury player to me at present. Certainly very talented but I think he's behind a few in the squad; purely down to functionality of the team as a whole. I might just be infected by Pardew's containment policies, but I would have the likes of Anita/Cabaye/Tiote ahead of him in the centre.

Doesn't seem much like a wide man to me.

In this league he 100% isn't. Out wide he'll be invisible far too long and cause problems for the full-back behind him. Through the middle it's a much better use of his strengths in addition to somewhat negating his weaknesses.

Doesn't seem much like a wide man to me.

In this league he 100% isn't. Out wide he'll be invisible far too long and cause problems for the full-back behind him. Through the middle it's a much better use of his strengths in addition to somewhat negating his weaknesses.

i'd rather he done both when he played, we know sissoko can be very fluid, as can ben arfa, to have gouffran or marveaux being third in similar vein would be very hard to mark out the game.