Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Not worried by that comment at all. Reckon it could be as simple as more talks are planned over the next month and we hope to have him signed up by then.

Hopefully that's the case, but the offer's been on the table at least two months now (we found out directly from Pardew on 20th October). What's so special about January?

It's been mentioned before about his agent been tricky to communicate with, could be something to do with him coming over for talks to iron anything out with the contract? I don't know why but I reckon we've actually made him a good offer, could be just a few minor things that need sorting and Colo isn't in any great rush to sort them as he's comfortable they'll be sorted when his agent comes over. Just all speculation obviously but I don't think it's anything to worry about yet.

:thup:

'We've not been told no' is hardly the most confident of summaries from Pardew mind. :lol:

Fortunately it may be one of those situations where by a) his age, b) his current wage) no-one else will want him. Can't see any of the liable Champions Leaguers here wanting him nor the big 2 in Spain which leaves a mostly financial deficient La Liga or a Serie A club, a country where he is not proven.

Alternatively the comment about the transfer window could mean that Colo remains to be convinced of the direction the club is heading in (where have we heard that before?) and wants to wait and see who is bought and sold before committing what will probably be the rest of his career to us.

Liking the sound of this view. It actually puts me at ease now.

Really? :lol:

In the summer everyone on here were saying how there were no excuses and the investment of the Carroll money directly into the first team would prove how committed the club was to pushing for more than just survival. As it happens we're doing really well anyway, but it may be that Coloccini wants to know that the money we still have available will be spent to ensure we push on from this position, like many of us do. I'm unconvinced anything will change this January.

Well your post actually put me at ease in that it was an alternative to Colo leaving/being sold in January.

Just to clarify my actual view:

Of course, the Carroll money has not been fully reinvested in the team and yes that is a possible indication of a lack of ambition. As you've implied, further signs of a lack of ambition (such as sales of key players [which is something which I'm still sure won't happen in January]; no new signings as such) could p*ss off Colo who would then probably decide that his future doesn't lie here.

If the latter part of my last sentence actually happens, I'm hoping Pardew will play a key role in encouraging Colo to stay. Hopefully Pardew will sell his vision of the next 4 years or so and if it's positive enough, it could be enough to persuade Colo to commit his future. As it stands though, I pretty sure we won't sell anyone in January - this could prove to be a massive indicator of "ambition" which could ultimately result in Colo committing.

Not worried by that comment at all. Reckon it could be as simple as more talks are planned over the next month and we hope to have him signed up by then.

Hopefully that's the case, but the offer's been on the table at least two months now (we found out directly from Pardew on 20th October). What's so special about January?

It's been mentioned before about his agent been tricky to communicate with, could be something to do with him coming over for talks to iron anything out with the contract? I don't know why but I reckon we've actually made him a good offer, could be just a few minor things that need sorting and Colo isn't in any great rush to sort them as he's comfortable they'll be sorted when his agent comes over. Just all speculation obviously but I don't think it's anything to worry about yet.

:thup:

'We've not been told no' is hardly the most confident of summaries from Pardew mind. :lol:

Aye, bit of an odd one although I don't really like taking things in the written press on face value as they can often be misleading. Pardew could have had a huge grin on his face when he's said that, hinting he knows that the contract could be sorted in the next month. Similar happened last week; Ryder said Pardew denied Tiote had been to see a witch doctor but having watched the press conference, myself and a few others reckoned it was the complete opposite. :dontknow:

Fortunately it may be one of those situations where by a) his age, b) his current wage) no-one else will want him. Can't see any of the liable Champions Leaguers here wanting him nor the big 2 in Spain which leaves a mostly financial deficient La Liga or a Serie A club, a country where he is not proven.

Whereas I am not sure why some of the reported clubs would need Tiote other than to strengthen their squads, I can see why teams above us might want Colo.  Man Utd have had injury problems with their defenders all season and their defence has often been poor, Chelsea have got defensive problems, Liverpool are supposed to be looking at central defenders and although Arsenal seem to be OK now their defenders are fit again, their best defender has a poor injury record and they struggle when he is out.  Colo's fitness record and organisational skills would surely appeal to all of those clubs and they could certainly afford his wages.  However, I don't think he would necessarily be first choice for any of these clubs.

He was mentioned by Pards to be in deepest, darkest Argentina aye.

:lol:

That was a little odd too but don't really read much into it other than he'll only come over when it's absolutely necessary.

Whereas I am not sure why some of the reported clubs would need Tiote other than to strengthen their squads, I can see why teams above us might want Colo.  Man Utd have had injury problems with their defenders all season and their defence has often been poor, Chelsea have got defensive problems, Liverpool are supposed to be looking at central defenders and although Arsenal seem to be OK now their defenders are fit again, their best defender has a poor injury record and they struggle when he is out.  Colo's fitness record and organisational skills would surely appeal to all of those clubs and they could certainly afford his wages.  However, I don't think he would necessarily be first choice for any of these clubs.

I think his age will rule him out of all but Liverpool maybe being interest and with them spunking money on Coates and still having Carragher in reserve I doubt they'd be interested. I agree he'd be a welcome addition at all though.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...medium=twitter

Toon desperate for Coloccini to stay

By STEVE BRENNER

ALAN PARDEW hopes Fabricio Coloccini will say yes to Newcastle by the end of next month.

The Argentine defender, who has two years left on his current deal, has yet to sign the new five-year contract on offer.

Coloccini, 29, insisted he was ready to wait until the summer to decide.

That left the Toon Army fretting over the prospect of seeing him quit.

But Newcastle top brass are confident he will sign a new deal, especially with there being no interest shown in him so far.

Boss Pards said: "We've not been told no. We hope by the time the transfer window ends that situation will have been resolved."

Toon are out to end a five-match winless streak against West Brom tomorrow night and need mercurial French ace Hatem Ben Arfa to start firing.

The ex-Marseille man failed to come off the bench at the weekend.

But Pardew added: "He's fine, I think he knows he's not at his best yet. I would expect better from him because of what a good player he is.

"He will find his best form before the end of the season but how quickly that is I don't know.

"I'll use him as I see fit, I didn't use him on Saturday because I didn't think the situation was right. It's as simple as that."

He is VITAL to us. Watching him live on saturday just reinforced that for me. We could manage without Tiote but losing Coloccini would seriously derail us imo as he just brings such great leadership from the back with the way he plays and also adds a fantastic calmness too.

Sorry to piss on your chips, but aren't the papers just picking up the "he hasn't said no" and various other comments from AP and just reporting he might sign the new deal?

That's certainly how it appears in the Journal article at least. 

They say "In the most bullish statement of intent from someone inside St James’ Park yet, Pardew says he expects his skipper’s situation to have been “resolved” by the end of January" followed by the statement from Pardew, which is pretty wooly and not at bullish.  Just saying fingers crossed and this time giving timescales, also stating there's been no rejection of a contract.