Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Lawro on R5 saying Ashely is much maligned, has put his hand in his pocket and that the constant turnover of managers has been the problem.

They were joking about us changing manager all the time on TalkSport too, asking for odds on Rafa being here at the end of the season.

We've only sacked one manager in the last six years.

Being City I don´t understand why Ashley would like to impose his football philosophy on NUFC..

I mean our own Sheikh makes a visit about every 2nd year and mainly just walks around and have a look, his guys at the club sort out everything while hired football people manage the teams, He himself just enjoys having his clubs and is of course very popular among the fans.. Something I´m sure Ashley would enjoy as well instead of the constant troubleshooting you see at NUFC

Being City I don´t understand why Ashley would like to impose his football philosophy on NUFC..

I mean our own Sheikh makes a visit about every 2nd year and mainly just walks around and have a look, his guys at the club sort out everything while hired football people manage the teams, He himself just enjoys having his clubs and is of course very popular among the fans.. Something I´m sure Ashley would enjoy as well instead of the constant troubleshooting you see at NUFC

He seemed to start off like that but very quickly started appointing complete fuckwits that know nothing about football to make the big decisions. All went downhill from there.

Ashley's "football philosophy" is to advertise his tatty company to the widest audience possible whilst spending as little money as possible. That's the beginning and the end of it.

Ashley's "football philosophy" is to advertise his tatty company to the widest audience possible whilst spending as little money as possible. That's the beginning and the end of it.

Well, that´s the coastermonger philosophy in a nutshell..  But it seems to me that what differentiates Ashley from say the Al-Nahyan family at City or the King Power guys at Leicester is that he wants everything on the cheap.

But relegations are not cheap.

Perhaps he might find it cheaper to actually nourish the club in the long run

Well, that´s the coastermonger philosophy in a nutshell..  But it seems to me that what differentiates Ashley from say the Al-Nahyan family at City or the King Power guys at Leicester is that he wants everything on the cheap.

You wouldn't believe how much cost cutting he does. I'm not talking about getting Obertan off the wage bill, I mean cutting certain departments down to skeleton staff on minimum wage and refusing to put out so much as a plate of biscuits for the press on a matchday.

He's always thought along the lines of "I've built up a completely dominant company and destroyed my competition by paying staff peanuts and running everything on a shoestring so why won't it work for a football club?"

You wouldn't believe how much cost cutting he does. I'm not talking about getting Obertan off the wage bill, I mean cutting certain departments down to skeleton staff on minimum wage and refusing to put out so much as a plate of biscuits for the press on a matchday.

He's always thought along the lines of "I've built up a completely dominant company and destroyed my competition by paying staff peanuts and running everything on a shoestring so why won't it work for a football club?"

So how does Rafa fit in there.. Is the leopard changing his spots?

I don't believe so. If McClaren had two more wins on the board, he'd still be sitting pretty as safe as houses.

Ashley knows where the money is and will do what it takes to get back there. He did nothing to rock the boat in 2009-10 either after it quickly became evident that we were going to piss it. It's after promotion that would be my concern. Rafa walking now would have been a disaster for him, with a massive drop in attendances and a mass exodus of players. I honestly don't think he'd give the slightest shit about losing Benitez after promotion, in fact I think he'll want someone else in who will help him sell assets and diminish expectations. We'll see I suppose. I don't trust him and I never will.

Surely Ashley knows that top clubs are valued at billions while a midtable club can be bought for a couple of hundred millions.. He is a bit of a gambler as well

We´ll see in due time of course.

I don't believe so. If McClaren had two more wins on the board, he'd still be sitting pretty as safe as houses.

Ashley knows where the money is and will do what it takes to get back there. He did nothing to rock the boat in 2009-10 either after it quickly became evident that we were going to p*ss it. It's after promotion that would be my concern. Rafa walking now would have been a disaster for him, with a massive drop in attendances and a mass exodus of players. I honestly don't think he'd give the slightest s*** about losing Benitez after promotion, in fact I think he'll want someone else in who will help him sell assets and diminish expectations. We'll see I suppose. I don't trust him and I never will.

Road to redemption. Good move this one.

:lol: dat juxtaposition.

Surely Ashley knows that top clubs are valued at billions while a midtable club can be bought for a couple of hundred millions.. He is a bit of a gambler as well

He hasn't bothered feeding the potential of the football club because Sports Direct has profited sufficiently by it's Premier League association. That's where the earner is for him.

He hasn't bothered feeding the potential of the football club because Sports Direct has profited sufficiently by it's Premier League association. That's where the earner is for him.

Thing is.. He´s slowly reducing his shareholding in Sports Direct, today he´s also taking flutters on the stock market, finance london property deals etc

Thing is.. He´s slowly reducing his shareholding in Sports Direct, today he´s also taking flutters on the stock market, finance london property deals etc

He's always traded on the stock market, he often buys 5% of a company and sells it within weeks when the value has gone up, he did it with Adidas around the time he bought us.

I'm not aware of him reducing his shareholding in that company recently?

I don't trust Ashley one bit, and have no doubt he's a massive c***. He won't do anything for the club's sake. My naive hope after all this is that he will come to believe that our fortunes and his coincide - that a successful Newcastle under a man like Benitez is good for his pocket and business.

Got no doubt that Ashley sees Benitez as the best way to protect his investment, no more. Delighted he's agreed to stay but it'll take more than this for Ashley to come close to convincing me he's got the clubs best interests at heart.

You just know there's a cuntish move in him somewhere again. Maybes we'll be flying, top at xmas and Townsend on fire. Somebody comes in with a £15m bid and its Bye Bye Andros, Bye Bye Rafa

It's no different now. He's doing the same thing, the only difference is he's realised that lack of expertise in the football department has cost him in the long run.  If he'd employed competent people in the first place it would never have come to this.

He's always traded on the stock market, he often buys 5% of a company and sells it within weeks when the value has gone up, he did it with Adidas around the time he bought us.

I'm not aware of him reducing his shareholding in that company recently?

Oh, nowadays he buys London real estate it seems.. But I meant that his Sports Direct shareholdings are shrinking each year.. since 2013 he have sold shares for £417m in total.

Ashley knows where the money is and will do what it takes to get back there. He did nothing to rock the boat in 2009-10 either after it quickly became evident that we were going to p*ss it. It's after promotion that would be my concern. Rafa walking now would have been a disaster for him, with a massive drop in attendances and a mass exodus of players. I honestly don't think he'd give the slightest s*** about losing Benitez after promotion, in fact I think he'll want someone else in who will help him sell assets and diminish expectations. We'll see I suppose. I don't trust him and I never will.

The only flaw I see in your philosophy is that if Rafa's contract is as watertight as is made out, he can stay until he receives a pay out which will cost a minimum of £5 million a year. Whatever is left. So a forced leave would be pointless to a large extent.

I still refuse to believe that there can be anyone on the planet that thinks the better and more financially profitable one is to hire a puppet for a job. Maybe this way and the impending financial boost that an extra 10 - 25,000 fans per home game than what there could well have been under the old guard has lit the old light bulb in Ashley's nappa.    I know we doubt it but sometimes when toast drops on the floor, it does land butter side up.