Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I hope a drunken Nile Ranger runs him over repeatedly in his Range Rover.

:lol:

Ranger drives a C63 now, I think. Shame really. A Range Rover would have done a nice amount of damage.

He added: "I will make this point, and I know Newcastle fans will probably batter me for this, but I think you’ve got to be careful what you wish for with a new owner.

"I don’t think Ashley has done brilliantly but at the same time he could sell up and Newcastle could turn into a Portsmouth or a Leeds.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/9838699/former-newcastle-star-warns-fans-to-be-careful-what-you-wish-for

:anguish:

Stupid Mackem cunt.

I don't care that he was part of the Keegan era, I hate this fucker now.

"Be careful what you wish for" is becoming my least favourite phrase.

I don't think it really washes in our situation at all. We're talking about one of the biggest football clubs in Europe being held down to the level of a Fulham or Hull. Surely any sensible person would expect much more than that.

TBF I was worried about this for a while in the early days, but the proof is now there that Ashley is not interested at all in the football side.

"Be careful what you wish for" is becoming my least favourite phrase.

I don't think it really washes in our situation at all. We're talking about one of the biggest football clubs in Europe being held down to the level of a Fulham or Hull. Surely any sensible person would expect much more than that.

Apparently not.

He added: "I will make this point, and I know Newcastle fans will probably batter me for this, but I think you’ve got to be careful what you wish for with a new owner.

"I don’t think Ashley has done brilliantly but at the same time he could sell up and Newcastle could turn into a Portsmouth or a Leeds.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/9838699/former-newcastle-star-warns-fans-to-be-careful-what-you-wish-for

Doesn't mention Carver once.

He's got a point. We all wanted rid of Pardew, but didn't expect to end up with Carver. The way Ashley works, he'd probably sell to one of his mates, just transfer the ownership of the club in return for a private loan.

Guest ElCid

Doesn't mention Carver once.

Typical mackem cunt and hugely overrated in his time here - talks utter shit on talk sport and talking utter shit here also - WANKER!!!

Dang those comments from fans of other clubs who obviously know our situation way better than we do.

Guest reefatoon

The doctors must have drilled through his brain when he had his jug lugs pinned back.

Guest firetotheworks

How can 'be careful what you wish for' be used with Ashley man? :lol:

Those lasses that Fritzel held captive should have been careful what they wished for like, their dad could have been Fred West.

Love an inappropriate analogy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/john-carver-the-fall-guy-for-mike-ashleys-grotesque-misrule-of-newcastle-10237900.html

John Carver the fall guy for Mike Ashley’s grotesque misrule of Newcastle

COMMENT: Newcastle’s demise typifies football’s shift from community to accountancy

KEVIN GARSIDE  Author Biography  Friday 08 May 2015

And so another dispiriting week in the history of Newcastle United descends into grotesque parody, with a claim by the man on an eight-match losing streak that he is the best coach in the Premier League. Oh how we laughed.

Up in the counting house it suited the owner, Mike Ashley, to have another’s head fielding tomatoes in the stocks. John Carver, a thoroughly decent man promoted way beyond his sphere of expertise, draws the sting of a restless crowd, at least until 5pm today.

The fever may have passed by then. Carver may have done what Louis van Gaal at Manchester United could not with 80 per cent possession and 26 attempts on goal, divined a way past the defensive wall that is West Bromwich Albion on the road. Alternatively, the appalling disintegration of a great footballing institution may have barrelled further towards its grim conclusion. It will truly have come to something if by May’s end fixtures against West Bromwich, Queen’s Park Rangers and West Ham United have proved beyond the wit of Newcastle to save themselves.

But this is what happens when you rip the heart from a place predicated on the passion of its supporters and run it instead as an abstraction on a balance sheet. That Ashley’s numbers game is failing in the Premier League while showing a profit on the ledger is galling for fans condemned to watch the club they love not only fail but putrefy.

Newcastle are as much an idea as a club, meeting all the sociological paradigms that attach to a sporting institution at the heart of a great city. In the years of post-industrial decline the Toon have come to mean even more to supporters starved of purpose and significance elsewhere in their lives. This is not the glib restating of a tired old idea trivialising the people of Newcastle. It is the expression of a truth not easily measured but easily felt.

In the same way that the slogan pinned to the seats of the Nou Camp, “Més que un club”, seeks to express the relationship between Barcelona and the region, so it applies to Newcastle: more than a club. St James’ Park is so much a repository of hope and desire because the club are such a huge part of the city’s identity.

Newcastle are not the only victims of football’s ruinous shift from community project to commercial proposition, just the most obvious. Ashley is a prospector, nothing more, nothing less. He can’t be blamed for playing the market game at St James’ Park. He is not doing anything different from the Glazers at Manchester United, those moneyballers at Anfield, the Fenway Sports Group, which clothes its rapacious association with Liverpool in the language of philanthropy, Ellis Short at Sunderland, Randy Lerner at Aston Villa, and so on.

Lerner it seems is about to cash in his chips with another group of venture capitalists led by Paul Smith, a bean counter with a sporting background at Chelsea and management group IMG. Smith is said to be an expert in sports rights. That new Premier League television deal is doubtless part of the equation that brought him to the table. The prospect of tapping further into Villa’s commercial potential as a “global brand” has persuaded Smith and his consortium to gamble at a price estimated at £150m. Though Lerner bought in for £62m, an overall investment of £300m in his eight years in charge represents a significant loss. Don’t worry, he was a big winner on sport’s trading floor with the Cleveland Browns, banking £620m for the sale of the American football franchise three years ago.

Some estimates have Ashley £23m to the good over the same period since acquiring Newcastle from Sir John and Douglas Hall. That old family ownership model under the aegis of a local businessman appears sweetly benign when set against the calculating machinations of a speculator who cares nothing for the club’s traditions and sends his team out under the banner of a money-lending organisation that feeds on the privations of the poorest.

Ashley was, prima facie, onside for a while, one of the lads drinking a pint in the stands in his Newcastle shirt. That falsehood lies ruthlessly exposed today, his rudderless team as poorly led on the pitch as it is in the boardroom. Apparently, Carver received the full backing of Ashley via a communiqué passed on by the managing director. “I haven’t had a conversation with Mike,” said Carver. “But he sent a message through Lee [Charnley] to say he was 100 per cent behind me.”

Perhaps Ashley was too busy trying to hire the short-term services of Derby County employee Steve McClaren to speak to Carver direct. What might the selling point have been had a long-term offer been dangled before McClaren when first principles no longer relate to football but to business?

The logical extension of a club following the money is that players stuck by contract to Newcastle in the Premier League might be free agents in the event of relegation. If the players want out of the Ashley regime, the most efficient way to secure the deal is to engineer relegation. In this desperate scenario it is easy to see how Carver might allege that one of his players would orchestrate his own dismissal at Leicester last weekend.

The Sunday Times estimated Ashley’s fortune at almost £4bn a year ago. With that in the bank, he must be past caring. Assuming he ever did.