Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

:rant: :rant:

Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson said: “I have always got on well with Mike Ashley. He has done a lot of good things for Newcastle and people forget that. He has not got everything right but he has got a lot of things right. People forget where Newcastle might be without him.

“He has brought in Steve McClaren and he did a lot of good work while he was at our club. People forget that as well as the Carling Cup success and the UEFA Cup final that we also played in a lot of semi-finals and qualified for Europe through the league. Steve is great for Newcastle and I wish him well.”

& just where would you think Newcastle might be without him then Steve?

I didn't have him down for being that ignorant to be honest.

I do, most people just listen to the sounds bites "he cleared the debt blah blah" but in reality when you start looking at things the debt is now worse.  Gibson isn't going to check out AO.com or google search Swiss ramble.  He'll just repeat what he has heard from Sky Sports news and other halfwit pundits who never research things.

TBF there is a difference between the debt now and debt then.  The debt now is a interest-free loan from the owner.  Could easily be turned into equity, but that is not in the owners interest.  With the loans he has a way to take money out of the club without paying taxes (the other way is paying the owner dividends or salary).

I'm not an accountant so I might be wroong :)

Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson said: “I have always got on well with Mike Ashley. He has done a lot of good things for Newcastle and people forget that. He has not got everything right but he has got a lot of things right. People forget where Newcastle might be without him.

“He has brought in Steve McClaren and he did a lot of good work while he was at our club. People forget that as well as the Carling Cup success and the UEFA Cup final that we also played in a lot of semi-finals and qualified for Europe through the league. Steve is great for Newcastle and I wish him well.”

I do, most people just listen to the sounds bites "he cleared the debt blah blah" but in reality when you start looking at things the debt is now worse.  Gibson isn't going to check out AO.com or google search Swiss ramble.  He'll just repeat what he has heard from Sky Sports news and other halfwit pundits who never research things.

TBF there is a difference between the debt now and debt then.  The debt now is a interest-free loan from the owner.  Could easily be turned into equity, but that is not in the owners interest.  With the loans he has a way to take money out of the club without paying taxes (the other way is paying the owner dividends or salary).

I'm not an accountant so I might be wroong :)

I think you're right. Also if it remains as a loan, if/when he sells, he has less liability for capital gains tax when he sells up. The loan portion is just a repayment of a loan. This ought to be a good thing from our point of view, means rather than converting to equity and sticking out for the long haul, he could have an eye on selling up in the future and sodding off.

I might wrong too, like.

How exactly does it benefit Newcastle United that the loan (that he more or less doubled incidentally) provides Ashley a way of getting money out of the club without paying taxes or that he has less liability for capital gains in the event that he sells up?

Zero difference to the club itself. Good thing for those who want rid of him if he goes more easily because a potential buyer has to pay less due to the fact he has less tax to pay on any gains. I think it's obvious he's mostly concerned about the money. Fairly simple, reasonable logic I'd have thought.

If Mike Ashley ever leaves it will be for however much he can get for it (based on buyer and seller evaluation and how the negotiation process plays out). I would imagine the fact that there is no corporate tax due on the loan part is only a minor part of it, and certainly not a reason for Ashley to somehow lower his asking price. He will want whatever he values his shareholding in the club at plus his loan repaid. The latter does not impact the valuation of the former.

Forget where we might be? Because we all have the ability to view alternate universes.We just forget sometimes.

Forget where we might be? Because we all have the ability to view alternate universes.We just forget sometimes.

Everyone also seems to forget Ashley relegated us with mornic decision making which cost the club and him a fortune.

Guest Roger Kint

Another good article in the Sun today(feel dirty saying that twice now) by David Coverdale slating him and the club for the SMC carry on. Second time this bloke has had a right go at the way we run things in the last few months. Not so sure about his claim we will spend £60m like unless that includes £30m of sales but the main crux of the story is good to see in the national press. Its paywalled online but dunno if anyone can get a copy posted on here?

Another good article in the Sun today(feel dirty saying that twice now) by David Coverdale slating him and the club for the SMC carry on. Second time this bloke has had a right go at the way we run things in the last few months. Not so sure about his claim we will spend £60m like unless that includes £30m of sales but the main crux of the story is good to see in the national press. Its paywalled online but dunno if anyone can get a copy posted on here?

It's good to see, but don't be fooled as to the motivation behind any anti-Ashley articles this week- majority of the media spitting their dummies out at not getting access to the club while sky and the mirror do. Hilarious to watch them all crying about it, even if I do on a base level agree with what they're all saying :lol:

Also you've got to remember that as well as a competition between busnesses, the PL is a bit like a cartel*, with all 20 club owners (or representatives thereof) get together once a month to discuss issues that may be mutually profitable/advantageous to them and to vote on actions and issues affecting the running of league, proposals put forward by member clubs etc. I'd imagine you'd never ever find a current (or potential, in Gibson's case) club owner publicly criticising another for the way they run their club and going out of their way to ruffle feathers unnecessarily.

*there's probably a better word than this, but it's early and I can't be bothered to think of one.

TBF there is a difference between the debt now and debt then.

The other main difference being that the debt then was inherited from a board that, despite it's faults, had ambition to succeed and progress on the pitch. The majority of the debt now has been caused by Ashley himself, making cack-handed decisions that have ruined the club both in terms of reduced income and the cost incurred by that relegation. When they talk about the money he has loaned (they describe it as "put into") the club, his apologists seem very keen not to mention that the majority of the money he had to put in to rectify the damage caused by his own mistakes. If anything, he's got a fucking cheek asking for it back in any case.

Rant over now, I promise  :)

Guest Roger Kint

Glad a scathing article is paywalled so the world or non subscribers can't see it

Well apart from the 3 million or so people who buy the paper

Guest antz1uk

the most depressing thing about that article is the Daily Mail is the 2nd largest read toilet roll in the land

the most depressing thing about that article is the Daily Mail is the 2nd largest read toilet roll in the land

I was thinking this. No wonder the tories won.