Man City vs Newcastle United - 19/11/11 - 3pm

MW

I'd just put Santon left back and Raylor right midfield. I know he's looked s*** there before but he's playing with a lot of confidence and I think he'd do a good job.

I dunno I really appreciate a settled back line, though I wonder if Pardew is slightly hoping for Simpson to get a knock so he can get Santon on and then he'd probably lock down the position

Decent article from one who is often wide of the mark where we're concerned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2061901/Martin-Samuel-Alan-Pardews-coronation-wait.html

Absolutely spot on.

Yep, it's totally stupid that games against the top 4 are the 'real test', it's games against the rest of the league that decide your final position, nobody beats the top 4 anyway.

I actually usually like Samuel, I know that's not a popular view on here mind. Stopped reading him now he's at The Mail though.

Not a chance Santon will start on the right.

Not so sure.. IF there is no Obertan then Pards has options but he likes the use of Pace and a wideman who will work hard to get back.

Could go..

Simo----Tayls-----Colo----Santon

RTay-----Cab-----Tiote-----Jonas

but why break up that back four.

He may think Guthrie deserves to play

Simo----Tayls-----Colo-----RTay

Guth-----Cab-----Tiote-----Jonas

But Pards likes pace on the wing and Guthrie aint quirk

Marv is an option..

Marv-----Cab-----Tiote-----Jonas

but did not look ready for Prem football last time out

HBA maybe to put the city daemons to bed

HBA-----Cab-----Tiote-----Jonas

But will he work hard to cover Simpson? & Pards see's him in the Pedro role more than anything else

So the Santon option

Sant-----Cab-----Tiote-----Jonas

He is quick & tricky understands the fullback role so will offer cover.. its not a bad idea but will Pards see it that way ? He may just choose to play Jonas wide right and use Marv or HBA on the left

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2061901/Martin-Samuel-Alan-Pardews-coronation-wait.html

Absolutely spot on.

Yep, it's totally stupid that games against the top 4 are the 'real test', it's games against the rest of the league that decide your final position, nobody beats the top 4 anyway.

I actually usually like Samuel, I know that's not a popular view on here mind. Stopped reading him now he's at The Mail though.

The article he wrote over the summer about us was the biggest pile of misinformed bollocks ever. That's why I dislike him.

Absolutely spot on.

The article he wrote over the summer about us was the biggest pile of misinformed bollocks ever. That's why I dislike him.

The man's a fucking moron. It's hardly fucking rocket science that article. Anyone with a slight interest in writing a balanced article on the subject could write that. It's plain, simple, obvious fact.

Absolutely spot on.

Aye, I'd be interested to read it again and compare it to this one.

Did I miss the bit where our injuries all cleared up? I thought Tiote, Marveaux & Obertan were all struggling for this one?

Tiote and Obertan are possibles, Marvaux I assume is out, nowt's been said about him.

I don't think Obertan will make this one and fully expect Pardew to keep faith in his tried and tested 4-4-2 and his tried and tested personnel. Guthrie will come in out wide.

I'd quite like us to gamble with HBA out wide, but it'd be quite a large gamble. Just think our best chance is to keep them on the back foot as best we can (ie. attacking and countering). Think it goes without saying that most of our players will have to play to (near) the top of their game, but Danny Simpson and HBA especially.

Can anyone recommend a bar in Glasgow with the appropriate channels showing the Man City game please?... Away this weekend for the Okkervil River gig...

There's a pub called The Joe King Arms near the station mate.

Sorry, I forgot how combative Barton is in the tackle, not to mention incredibly good at keeping the ball under pressure. And he waves at us, you know.

Don't know what the fuck Wenger and Ferguson were thinking tbh.

Sorry, I forgot how combative Barton is in the tackle, not to mention incredibly good at keeping the ball under pressure. And he waves at us, you know.

Don't know what the f*** Wenger and Ferguson were thinking tbh.

:lol:

Can anyone recommend a bar in Glasgow with the appropriate channels showing the Man City game please?... Away this weekend for the Okkervil River gig...

There's a pub called The Joe King Arms near the station mate.

Too obvious... But nice try!

Since when did you have to be a great tackler to be a decent defensive winger? Barton was pure stamina when he played that role for us; covered a vast amount of ground. He'd tuck in centrally if the other side were getting a lot of possession, and would always be down into our corner if they were threatening a cross. I'm not gonna slag Guthrie off for his performances of late, because they've been good, but he's notorious for drifting out of games in the second half - and we'll be severely punished for that against City. He doesn't have same attributes as Barton in the final third, either.

Would be a terrible idea putting him out on the right.