Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

if you were the Villa or Swansea manager today and you knew that the game was going to go ahead would you have told your players about Gary dying?

I don't think I could, most of them will be in the dressing in tiers.

The players have their mobiles and will have got the news regardless.

Guest elbee909

XabiAlonso Xabi Alonso

RIP Gary Speed. My first PL game game was against him, he showed me in that game what is british football about.

Was just going to post that myself.

I can only echo the sentiments of everybody else. This news has absolutely knocked me for six today, I'm absolutely gutted and I know my dad, who texted me to inform me, will be too. Speedo was a true professional and supremely talented, and will be sorely missed.

I'm very sure that he'll get an excellent tribute at the Chelsea game next week.

Agreed.

Absolutely tragic. The game has lost a genuine gent, professional, and idol, who I've no doubt was becoming a top top manager. Very very saddened by this news. RIP Gary, thoughts go out to his family.

The Swansea game goes ahead.

Call it off, just call it off.

Doubt the fans making there way to the game would be happy with that like.

I'm pretty sure they would understand. Their players could very well be devastated, do they actually want them to go out and play in that state?, I wouldn't.

If some of the players feel they cannot play then they should be allowed to sit it out, the same as when any other footballer loses there family and friends (which isn't exactly uncommon).

It's horrible news, but you cause too many problems when you call of a football match.

Absolutely devastated. Had to drive home after hearing the news on the radio, no idea how I did given that I was basically staring into space for about half an hour.

The man was an absolute pro and a great player.  But my main memory of him will be at a Junior Magpies signing session when I was just a bairn.  Some of the players would just sign whatever you provided them with, not even look up and pass it on.  Gary actually took the time to strike up conversation, have pictures with bairns, and gave everyone the benefit of a good chunk of his time and attention.  An absolutely lovely bloke.

Gutted :( RIP.

Terrible news. Met him a few times, with his family every time. Really, really nice guy, didn't mind doing photos or autographs or anything like that and was always good to have a chat about the team and what not.

Must have been some awful stuff going on for this to happen, going to be interesting what comes out over the next few days and weeks.

RIP Gary. Great bloke, great footballer.

Guest elbee909

"Pschmeichel1 Peter Schmeichel

Gary Speed, you were always the gentleman and I find it really sad that you are not here anymore. My thoughts are with your family."

Shit man.  Just shit.  I'm usually a bit blasé about this sort of thing - as much as it's possible to be while still being respectful, anyway - but this has really cut through me.