Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Pardew on Absolute Radio phone-in talking about HBA. Says he's still 'finding his way' and next year is going to be 'big' for him. Also says he can play anywhere in the front line.

What he clearly meant was "when we peddle Simpson in the summer and replace him with someone half decent then I'll play HBA"

I'd take that at this point TBH.

I'd argue there would be as it would be a more possessive game and a better counter to their counter-attacking play. Won't happen, if he'll start it'll be on the right and I wouldn't complain, Ba and Cisse starting has goals in it a plenty.

Drop our number 9 striker who's scored 2 in 2 at home??? Christ this HBA thing is fucking ridiculous man. Ahead of R.Taylor or Simpson aye but not Cisse.

I wouldn't call it dropping Cisse, I would see it more as a tactical move to offer some variety rather than two out and out strikers with the view to keeping Cisse back to hit Sunderland with in the second period. Ideally I'm with you, I'd prefer to go 4-3-3 with Ba and HBA either side of Cisse but that's never going to happen as it will be too attacking for Pardew to be comfortable with in a derby.

Would there be any mileage in starting HBA behind Ba and keeping Cisse on the bench as firepower in reserve for the second half?

Yes.

http://www.theginblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/crackhead.jpg

Ben Arfa should be starting on the wing tomorrow, at least we have the satisfaction of knowing he's being kept out by a key player and not a player who has little but free kicks to offer.

And if people are worried about about us playing 2 up top just because they're worried about teams with 3 in midfield, we might as well flog Ba and get a £10m central-midfielder to accompany Tiote & Cabaye. It's rubbish.

The two formations are likely to be a repeat of last season at home, I'm not worried in the slightest, bring it on.

And if people are worried about about us playing 2 up top just because they're worried about teams with 3 in midfield, we might as well flog Ba and get a £10m central-midfielder to accompany Tiote & Cabaye. It's rubbish.

:snod:

Quality not quantity, isn't it? When Tiote and Cabaye are at the top of their game it doesn't matter how many men the opposition have in midfield.

No way on Earth would I drop Cisse. Of it's true that they're going for Gardner at right back, get HBA there to have a go at him, him and Santon would pulverise him. Jonas can look after Simpson.

:snod:

Quality not quantity, isn't it? When Tiote and Cabaye are at the top of their game it doesn't matter how many men the opposition have in midfield.

That's it for me. Reason we lost 5-0 at Spurs was due to having Perch & Guthrie rather than those two. Doubt we'd have won anyway their front two were so good.

Would there be any mileage in starting HBA behind Ba and keeping Cisse on the bench as firepower in reserve for the second half?

Yes.

Drop a striker who has 2 goals in 1 start and 1 sub appearance at home, and risk Ba's effectiveness, all to find abused little Hatem a place in the team. Incredible.

Yes.

Drop a striker who has 2 goals in 1 start and 1 sub appearance at home, and risk Ba's effectiveness, all to find abused little Hatem a place in the team. Incredible.

Unreal isn't it?

Drop our number 9 striker who's scored 2 in 2 at home??? Christ this HBA thing is fucking ridiculous man. Ahead of R.Taylor or Simpson aye but not Cisse.

Who said anything about dropping him? If he's struggling with a groin strain then leave him on the bench, if he's 100% fit then don't.