Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

There's nee middle ground with some of you guys. Yes he's one of our very best players. But he has room for improvement in his game. Knowing when to release the ball is one of them. It's that simple.

I want him to be a top, top player.

OK Jamie.

Let him do what he wants, you pay to watch players like him, and not to see them be restricted in anyway. Just brilliant imo.

This is a small time mentality imo.

A couple years ago Bale was a great player but he needed to adapt his game to become a real world class player. I hope the coaches at the club are pushing him to reach the best of his abilities rather than just being glad he's here.

Why settle for Robert when I know HBA could be as good as Pires?

Let him do what he wants, you pay to watch players like him, and not to see them be restricted in anyway. Just brilliant imo.

That attitude is just as wrong as the other way.  There's a middle ground where he can keep his creativity and spontaneity but still improve on his decision making.

A couple years ago Bale was a great player but he needed to adapt his game to become a real world class player. I hope the coaches at the club are pushing him to reach the best of his abilities rather than just being glad he's here.

Last thing Hatem Ben Arfa needs (if at all) is the likes of Alan Pardew, Carver et al telling him how to nurture his talent. I know thats their job but he's one of the few players who come through with innate skill and confidence. Just enjoy it.

Don't think anyone says they don't want him to improve and get even better.

I personally was taking offence to the suggestion that if his name was tiote we would all be begging for him to be dropped because he sometimes loses the ball which is just a load of bollocks.

Guest neesy111

That attitude is just as wrong as the other way.  There's a middle ground where he can keep his creativity and spontaneity but still improve on his decision making.

:thup:

Guest bimpy474

As always people read it as him+10. Use your imagination as some have with their posts. Give him a free role within a structure, freedom to play to get on the ball. I might say me putting "let him do what he wants" does make it look like i'm saying, ah fuck it, let him loose. But you know what i mean, not chasing back, not covering. Just pure attacking intent.

Not going to argue against improved decision making but equally he makes decisions that wouldn't enter the head of your average player or coach, and I've had my fill of them. It is a tricky balance though; no one likes ball greediness although I wouldn't necessarily describe him as such.

Guest bimpy474

Not going to argue against improved decision making but equally he makes decisions that wouldn't enter the head of your average player or coach, and I've had my fill of them. It is a tricky balance though; no one likes ball greediness although I wouldn't necessarily describe him as such.

Funnily enough, greedy was a term someone used to me about him. He the least greedy player i've seen in one way, yes he dribbles a lot but it's nearly always to create something for someone else. Not the usual greedy type, he's very unselfish if you know what i mean.

He looked at his best, in terms of a good balance in his game, when he returned to help us finish 5th. I have no doubt that with a cohesive team around him he will improve his decision-making. Not that I think he vastly needs to improve it, players that take risks lose the ball, see Messi.

Bale who adapted his game to become world class because he was given all the freedom to do what he wanted instead of being an orthadox left winger?  I think you're proving Bimpys point there...

Bale who adapted his game to become world class because he was given all the freedom to do what he wanted instead of being an orthadox left winger?  I think you're proving Bimpys point there...

I'm not talking about defensively. They did a lot more than just let him do whatever he wanted... even physically he's improved greatly year-on-year.

I think he's best out wide, play him through the middle and suddenly his space is restricted and his impact is lessened.

He could improve, any player in the world has room to improve, but put him in a better team and he'd look a lot better.

IMO, differences in style and physique permitted, the majority of Bale's performances last season were pretty much similar to Hatem's yesterday against Fulham, i.e. 89 minutes of trying things with mixed success, including his fair share of wild shots (when teammates in good positions were available) and wayward passing, but still consistently having that one or two minutes where the ball would end up in the back of the net and make all the difference. And because Spurs were built around him, and encouraged him to continue playing up to his reputation by constantly trying those 25-30 yard shots, it wasn't a big deal that he wasn't actually that great a player for e.g. 80-89 minutes of a match. He was delivering them match winning goals, and that's all that mattered.

So if Hatem has 25 out of 38 games like yesterday, would anyone care about those moments of greed or sloppiness? I doubt it. The headlines and match winning goals would be extrapolated back to performances, at it commonly is, and as it was for Bale last season. So from that point of view and in respect to critiquing his game, it'd make just as much sense to criticize Ben Arfa for not getting enough shots on target (and therefore hitting the back of the net more frequently) rather than wanting him to play a safer, more sensible game more often.

If he improves then he'll be one of the best players on Earth. He's pretty damn good now, easily one of the best players in the league on his day. Let's just appreciate him for what it is because if he improves and has consistent end-product then we won't be able to keep him for long.