NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest sicko2ndbest

Man City, Man United, Arsenal and Spurs could do with another quality centre back.

Man City I agree, but they will go top draw eg vidic etc

Arsenal need him the most imho

I want Douglas.

Out of who we've been linked to, same.

Don't think it's possible for reasons Unbelievable! has mentioned though.

Maybe that's the reason were having to wait till the summer as a few reporters have suggested?

Where would he go though. The top five or six have top class centre halves! Maybe Arsenal

Jones rio vidic

Terry Cahill luiz

Vermalen Mertesacker

Kompany Lescott Toure

Gallas King Kaboul

Hell he would have to be a hell of a player to get in front of Colo and Tayls

I haven't seen loads of Vertonghen, but looking at the clubs' defences you've posted there, it's not hard to put forward some arguments why they'd need strengthening.

Man Utd - Vidic is very good, Ferdinand is (has been) going downhill fast, Jones lacks experience (is he a natural CB?)

Chelsea - Luiz has been unreliable on a spectacular basis, Cahill IMO is overrated, Terry I still think is a very good defender.

Arsenal - does this really need to be discussed?

Man City - Kompany has been the best defender in the league this year, Lescott is decent enough but you can easily improve on him, Toure's days there are numbered I'd imagine.

Tottenham - King has a part-time job in being dead, Kaboul and Gallas are decent but again, easily can be improved upon.

^ This is basically what I think too. Vertonghen would improve all those defences like.

The Belgium international, thought to be on the radar of Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham and Newcastle, is out of contract in Amsterdam next summer.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lso4m18nGL1qf5o6g.gif

Spurs are apparently putting a lot of faith in Caulker when he comes back from Swansea too.

Last I heard, he's getting pretty rave reviews so far this season.

Looks a good player - won everything in the air against us and has also shown he is comfortable when the ball is on the deck.

I want Douglas.

A much better option. Cheaper too..

Do you think he'd be a better compliment to Coloccini than Vertonghen? Am I right in thinking Douglas plays as the right sided CB?

Yep. Vertonghen is much too similar to Colo, He's a better player on the ball than Douglas, who is a more clinical defender and would compliment Colo better. If Colo does not renew his contract and we have to sell up Vertonghen would be the better option, but if he stays (fingers crossed), I'd much rather we go for Douglas.

Edit: you are correct: Vertonghen is left footed and plays in Colo's position, Douglas is right footed and plays the Taylor/Williamson position.

Man City, Man United, Arsenal and Spurs could do with another quality centre back.

Man City I agree, but they will go top draw eg vidic etc

Arsenal need him the most imho

They've ran out of money.

Yep seems apparent they're desperately trying to fit there finances into the new Euro regulations.  Hence no major spending until they sell Tevez.

I'd merely want Douglas as he's a fucking beast and from my limited viewings would be the attacking defender while Colo sweeps as current. Two ball playing centre backs IMO doesn't work.

Iron fist + velvet glove.  :)

A right hard-nosed cunt who attacks the ball and is a beast alongside a CB who reads the game and is comfortable on the ball and can bring it out is ideal.

I'd merely want Douglas as he's a fucking beast and from my limited viewings would be the attacking defender while Colo sweeps as current. Two ball playing centre backs IMO doesn't work.

Iron fist + velvet glove.  :)

A right hard-nosed cunt who attacks the ball and is a beast alongside a CB who reads the game and is comfortable on the ball and can bring it out is ideal.

Impeccably put, I can't think of a good centre back combination ever that didn't have this. It's totally natural.

TBH if we signed Douglas or Vertonghen i would be freaking delighted, but i think as already been mentioned id prefer Douglas just because of the style of defender he is and how he would compliment Colo.......

Vertonghen is more of a Colo clone and probably a Colo replacement instead someone to go alongside him......

Dont see Colo and Vertonghen working particularly well myself meanwhile Douglas and Colo would work well immensely.

Having said this if we signed one of Vertonghen, Mbwia or Douglas id be freaking delighted.

I said here last week that according to the Dutch correspondents on the radio he's aiming a lot higher than us... So I wouldn't get your hopes on it...

If he leaves Ajax it will probably be for a club in the Champions League, he's fucking fantastic. How Belgium haven't qualified for the Euros with him and Kompany at the back is beyond me.

Possibly too similar to Coloccini but the negatives outweigh the positives. He's the type of player that could make a goal line clearance at one end, then blast in a Shearer like free-kick at the other, he's that fucking good.

Douglas or Mbiwa, basically. HAS to be one of those and if it is, I'm fine with waiting until the summer (although a cheap backup would still be needed now).

Luckily for us, i believe thats the exact plan the club has in mind, might be reading too much into it but thats what it seems like.....

Squad CB now and First Team CB in the summer.