West Brom vs Newcastle United - 25/03/12 at 4pm (on SkySports)

Beren

Guest SuperShola!

Krul

Simpson    Perch    Colo    Santon

(we need speed against Shane Long)

Cabaye      Guthrie

HBA                      Jonas

Ba          Cisse

Very tough fixture, that I can envisage being determined by fitness and mentality.

With their pace up front (and our lack of it at the back!), we can't really afford to attack them with numbers for sustained periods of time. So we need to attack quickly, then get bodies back behind the ball and our defensive line low. This will involve a lot of running back and forth, and often the temptation we've had in situations where our defensive line is pinned back is to lump it forward instead.

This will result in the ball coming back at our goal, because we will have even less control of possession/the pitch. It might take them a bit longer, but it's surrendering to a slow death playing long ball IMO. Just waiting to get beat essentially.

So, we will have to play counter-attacking football on the deck, resisting the urge to play killer balls too early, but also dropping back quickly when we lose possession.

We'd also need to cut out, or co-ordinate our 'gimmick chasing down'. I appreciate players chasing lost causes, or trying to pressure for mistakes, but the way we tire after we doing it for thirty minutes is not worth it. There's something to be said for picking your battles. Ba, Cisse and HBA are the ones I'm most wary of wasting energy in this way - which is all the more pertinent, because as our attacking players, they may be isolated from time to time and will need the energy reserves the most.

Having read some of your posts it seems you hope that we will come out and attack you so you can counter and break with Cisse and Ba.

Our recent improved home form has been with us pressing further up the pitch in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, denying the opposition time and space, worked a treat v Sunderland (4-0), seems that may play right into your hands.

Earlier games where we lost quite a few, we were playing a more defensive 4-4-2, so to be honest, I'm not sure which way we will go, as the home team, the emphasis is on us to attack, so I suspect you may well get some joy at the Hawthorns, much as I hope you don't!

The day you played the macums I was joking with someone that there would be two sides sitting on the edge of their own box and the ball isolated in the centre circle waiting for the opposition to get it and start a move.

How wrong was that !  You were awesome that day and should have had 10, but I think O'niell was found out as he doesn't really seem to have a plan if they concede first.

Like Krul said, we've got 9 cup finals coming up, looking at the table winning this one would be massive, i don't think it'll be impossible to beat Liverpool at St.James's too, do both and that's one solid foot in Europe.

Far from winning against Liverpool I'll be surprised if we don't get beaten comfortably. Liverpool will absolutely dominate possession and while we can get away with giving the ball to poor teams, the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea will murder us IMO. Our best bet is winning the games against lesser teams like Swansea and Bolton.

aye, i think liverpool will tear us apart barring them completely losing their minds or someone doing something reckless...suarez & gerrard both starting to play

Like Krul said, we've got 9 cup finals coming up, looking at the table winning this one would be massive, i don't think it'll be impossible to beat Liverpool at St.James's too, do both and that's one solid foot in Europe.

Far from winning against Liverpool I'll be surprised if we don't get beaten comfortably. Liverpool will absolutely dominate possession and while we can get away with giving the ball to poor teams, the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea will murder us IMO. Our best bet is winning the games against lesser teams like Swansea and Bolton.

aye, i think liverpool will tear us apart barring them completely losing their minds or someone doing something reckless...suarez & gerrard both starting to play

Liverpool aren't a particularly good side.  Its only our terrible record against them over the years that makes me think we'll lose the game.

can't see pardew going with ba,cisse and ben arfa for this. either ben arfa or cisse will be benched imo.

Taylor's still out isn't he? And Obertan wasn't even in the squad at the weekend. But yeah, I expect Ben Arfa to be dropped tbh.

can't see pardew going with ba,cisse and ben arfa for this. either ben arfa or cisse will be benched imo.

Taylor's still out isn't he? And Obertan wasn't even in the squad at the weekend. But yeah, I expect Ben Arfa to be dropped tbh.

i never even realised obertan wasn't in last weekends squad.

Newcastle fans surely one day deserve to see their club win something? I can remember them winning the old inter cities fairs cup, was it 69? but nothing since then.

We are all passionate about our club but the numbers that turn out up there are mind blowing. I wish them all the best but not against us in fact I hope they get thrashed, after all I can't be too humble can I?

Disagree mate, they dont DESERVE anything anymore than any other clubs fans. Also the fact that apart from Newcastlke United, theres nothing else to do up there with closest rivals located miles away, nothing like thye competition between clubs for fans that there is in the midlands

Having browsed their forums the last few times we've played them, I can safely say they're the most fickle and disrespectful set of fans I've seen. The amount of bile they speak about their own players is staggering, it's not just the usual slagging off like you might see here when a player's not performing well, it's real foul-mouthed hatred. none of it particularly rational either. I think Demba Ba is the only member of their first team that I haven't seen it directed towards. They turned on Pardew extremely quickly to when they didn't win a few games around th time they played us, despite them being about 5th in the table. Not the nicest group.

Newcastle fans surely one day deserve to see their club win something? I can remember them winning the old inter cities fairs cup, was it 69? but nothing since then.

We are all passionate about our club but the numbers that turn out up there are mind blowing. I wish them all the best but not against us in fact I hope they get thrashed, after all I can't be too humble can I?

Disagree mate, they dont DESERVE anything anymore than any other clubs fans. Also the fact that apart from Newcastlke United, theres nothing else to do up there with closest rivals located miles away, nothing like thye competition between clubs for fans that there is in the midlands

Having browsed their forums the last few times we've played them, I can safely say they're the most fickle and disrespectful set of fans I've seen. The amount of bile they speak about their own players is staggering, it's not just the usual slagging off like you might see here when a player's not performing well, it's real foul-mouthed hatred. none of it particularly rational either. I think Demba Ba is the only member of their first team that I haven't seen it directed towards. They turned on Pardew extremely quickly to when they didn't win a few games around th time they played us, despite them being about 5th in the table. Not the nicest group.

Context? Baggies fans?

It makes for poor reading, the third quote about us being fickle. I think there are a lot of very rational people on here at least and people who know and understand football really well but I think most of us do single out players and attack them a bit much.

In terms of deserving anything, we don't deserve success more than any other club but if we got it, it would be incredible for the city and I think we'd celebrate it more than a lot of other clubs.

Context? Baggies fans?

Aye, taken from a West Brom forum.

I never found out the reason for this. Was there one or was he just 'left out'?

i'd guess his 'performance' v arsenal

apart from the ball to ben arfa before his goal he was atrocious

Having read some of your posts it seems you hope that we will come out and attack you so you can counter and break with Cisse and Ba.

Our recent improved home form has been with us pressing further up the pitch in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, denying the opposition time and space, worked a treat v Sunderland (4-0), seems that may play right into your hands.

Earlier games where we lost quite a few, we were playing a more defensive 4-4-2, so to be honest, I'm not sure which way we will go, as the home team, the emphasis is on us to attack, so I suspect you may well get some joy at the Hawthorns, much as I hope you don't!

The day you played the macums I was joking with someone that there would be two sides sitting on the edge of their own box and the ball isolated in the centre circle waiting for the opposition to get it and start a move.

How wrong was that !  You were awesome that day and should have had 10, but I think O'niell was found out as he doesn't really seem to have a plan if they concede first.

this was another thing Brummie mentioned and was completely correct imo

I never found out the reason for this. Was there one or was he just 'left out'?

i'd guess his 'performance' v arsenal

apart from the ball to ben arfa before his goal he was atrocious

He must have had a niggle. I am no Obertan fan, but would rather have him as an option on the bench than Donaldson.

fair point

just i hadn't seen anything about any fitness concerns, which you'd normally hear about....and he was apparently dog shit/uninterested for the reserves during the week (apart from his goal)

figured it could be an attempt to give him a kick up the arse

Yea I went to that Reserve game. He started off brightly enough, but didn't seem particularly keen to impress. That is particularly odd given that he was clearly being given a trial in that off the striker position before the Arsenal game, although he did end up starting there at the Emirates so Pardew must have seen enough in him. It may be just his style, but he comes across as so lazy, which is what frustrates me most about him. Did he really put in such half arsed performances for taggart?!