Europa League or not?

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All the players talk about getting in to Europe and I think it means a lot to them and apparently, the European clubs take the Europa League much more seriously that we do here in England.  If we want the players to stay then we need to make that next step to progress as a club. 

Surely Ashley would want the club to have European football.  It would raise the club's profile again in Europe, the extra games will raise more revenue and perhaps we will then become more attractive to sponsors.

Squad thing i dont see an issue , Pardew has said we would buy 4-5 players if we qualified for europe and obviously i reckon the youth will get more chances and players coming back from long term injury which are like new signings.

Not worried about us doing a Ipswich at all.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/04/08/pardew-europe-could-be-curse-for-united-squad-79310-30716638/

Pardew: Europe could be curse for United squad

Apr 8 2012 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

ALAN Pardew has admitted for the first time that making it into Europe might be a curse as well as a blessing.

United are in pole position to make it back into European competition for the first time since 2007, with a Champions League place within reach if they continue their sensational form.

They moved into fifth on Friday night, a position that would book them a slot in Europe’s secondary knock out competition the Europa League.

Pardew admits that tournament - with its long knock-out stages and potentially treacherous trips to Eastern Europe - would put “extra pressure” on his Newcastle side.

There is merit to his argument, with Newcastle not currently equipped to fight on four fronts. But the flip side is that Europe would give United the chance to bring in extra players, keep current stars and bolster their stature.

It has left the Toon boss conflicted.

“There will be one side of me quite pleased (if we miss out) because it means we can attack the season next year not having the extra pressure of that European league,” Pardew told the Sunday Sun.

“Having said that I would still, on the other part of me, welcome that because it will take the club forward. It would bond some of the players to the club and would be an achievement of sorts.

“We can perhaps add to the squad with the extra finance we get from it.”

Whether United make Europe or not, Pardew is certain about one thing – this season has been a rip-roaring success for the Magpies.

However, he knows that all of the club’s good work could potentially be undone by an Everton victory in the Merseyside Cup derby at Wembley on Saturday.

That would likely mean only one route into Europe through the league this year, for the fifth-placed Premier League finishers.

“There’s no way you could look back on this season as a failure. I think in some ways we’re in the lap of the Gods really because Chelsea have a big determination,” he said.

“Then you’ve got this Liverpool-Everton FA Cup game which will impact on it if Everton get through to the final, which I still think is a rule that needs to be looked at in my opinion.

“I think if you finish higher in the league, that is more deserving than finishing runners up in the Cup. If you win it, fair enough.”

Of course, United’s destiny remains in their own hands. They have a May 4 trip to Stamford Bridge which – if they win – could see them book fifth.

Chelsea remain engaged in the FA Cup and Champions League as well as battling to return to Europe’s premier club competition.

“I think that whole period is crucial for Chelsea more than us,” Pardew added. “I think we can do without that Chelsea game. We could lose that game and still finish above them.

“They’ve got two semi-finals, the Champions League and the FA Cup, and maybe finals. They’re being pulled in a lot of directions.

“I don’t think we will come to that game depending on it for Europe. It will be about our other results – and Chelsea’s.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/04/08/pardew-recruits-required-for-european-campaign-79310-30716617/

Pardew: Recruits required for European campaign

Apr 8 2012 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

ALAN Pardew says Newcastle United will need “four or five” new signings if they clinch European qualification.

As the Sunday Sun revealed last week, the Toon boss says his current plan is to bring in only two new signings this summer.

But if they manage to book their place in the Europa League, that will increase to a maximum of five - with possibly more if Danny Simpson and Danny Guthrie leave in the close season.

Asked about whether European qualification would require a bigger summer recruitment drive, Pardew said: “It will possibly change us a little bit.

“I think we would need a bigger squad, therefore where we might only bring in two or three we might need four or five to bolster the numbers.

“We’ll have to see because obviously we’ve got contracts up here as well, whether we all agree to stay or they go as well. We’ll have to wait and see.”

All of United’s main targets have international pedigree.

The Magpies are eyeing Holland defender Erik Pieters, France right-back Mathieu Debachy and FC Twente’s Douglas – although they are understood to have other centre-back targets than just the towering Brazilian.

The second article is what I like to hear personally. We need a bigger squad that's been obvious for a while.

How small is the squad really? Depends if Harper and Guthrie go but at the moment we have (I definitely think Forster, Smith and Loven will go) -

Harper

Elliott

Krul

Tavernier                                            Ferguson

Raylor              Williamson                  Perch

Simpson            Saylor          Colo      Santon

Abeid                          Sammyeobi

Obertan            Guthrie    Gosling        Marveaux                   

HBA                  Tiote        Cabaye      Jonas

Vuckic 

Shola    Best

Cisse    Ba

Gone with 4-4-2 as it's easier, a lot of those players are quite versatile too.

We obviously need at least a centre back and a full back but with those 2 that is a 29 man squad. Not all top class, a few are still very raw but it's not a bad squad.

We have struggled a little this season due to a really high number of injuries, players like Colo and Tiote who are normally everpresents picking up an unusual amount of injuries for them.

We're not a 'big club' and we're not swimming in trophies, so it's madness to turn our noses up at any competition.

That's the Europa League, the Carling Cup, the lot. Really irks me when people go "pfft, it's a shit competition. Would rather not waste our time."

Well we're not Manchester United, we don't have 150 trophies in the cabinet. Stop being snobby and take every competition that is available to us.

I for one cannot wait for us to win a trophy and end this ridiculous drought, and if/when we do I'd be celebrating a Europa League/Carling Cup trophy win just like a Premier League/Champions League one.

It would be brilliant fun, reduced league form or not. I suppose the worry at board level is that could stop us challenging for champions league next season, but what happens if we sacrifice the europa league and still fail to make champions league? Lets go have fun, try and bolster the squad enough and not lose the fun fretting over league positions overly.

Of course yes. Rather qualify for the Champions League, though. But think we might even could give it a right good go for the Europa League.

You don't say.

There's a great chance of us getting no wins in a difficult Champions League group, while there's a good chance of going very far in the Euro League.

So, it's not automatically that everyone would one us to qualify for CL.

I don't get this whole "Europe could be a curse" lark, it's just negative thinking. It's what every team should be aspiring to. If you're not aiming for success then you may as well not exist. It's not like we haven't been there before either, like the Champions League days under Sir Bobby, which actually had more games back then than it does now and we finished 3rd that same season. It seems to me like another ready-made excuse from the higher-ups not to invest in the summer should we qualify.

I don't get this whole "Europe could be a curse" lark, it's just negative thinking. It's what every team should be aspiring to. If you're not aiming for success then you may as well not exist.

Aye, and we definitely wouldn't want to win the league either - just imagine the extra pressure it would create trying to defend our title the next season.

Definitely yes to the Europa League.

For one thing, European competition makes us a more attractive club to players. You can only go so far when it comes to persuading players to come here (such as the talk of the fans and the stadium, comments from current/former players etc.) but the lure of the Europe is that little bit extra which will help to convince a player to sign for you ahead of others.

I definitely like the "glamour" involved too. We had such great adventures in the UEFA Cup/Champions League so would love to see the European nights back at St. James' Park.

Definitely yes. But I can understand concerns about the squad -- it might well be that we'd end up in a group with some Latvian part-timers, an insane Turkish club, and some no-hopers in the arse end of beyond, all to the ultimate detriment of our season. On the other hand, qualification could mean some nice trips to some decent not-too-distant cities (a German tie, please!), and the impetus through necessity to develop some of our younger players alongside the first XI.

It would also seem a shame to end this remarkable season without something to show for the achievement.

Total no brainer but, without additional investment, its bound to impact our league performance.

:thup: and it would be incredibly naive to think otherwise.

Europe is where you want to be playing. Sure, the Europa League (please bring back the UEFA Cup) isn't a patch on the Champions League but it's how you develop as a club. Bigger stature, better players are more likely to come, increased performance, increased funds, and so on. To compete successfully and maintain good league form, yes, of course you need a strong squad. But it equally doesn't mean you have to rest most of your first-team for every European game. There's a middle ground to be had here.

Indeed. There's something that I think the people suggesting European competition would be bad for us aren't considering, one of the reasons players like Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Ba and Cisse come and play for nufc is because it's a familiar name around europe......due to playing in European competitions.

Europa league final is in Amsterdam next year  :frantic:

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/4/stoneddogs-th.jpg

But aye, Europe is mint. Doubt we were complaining about it in '69.

Some of the teams who have got to the final in recent times, man. Boro ffs. We'd have a real chance if we gave it a good go.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-can-exploit-Chelsea-fixture-pile-up-to-pip-them-to-European-place-says-Alan-Pardew-article887538.html

But Pardew insisted he would have mixed feelings if Newcastle’s fine season did not result in a Europa Cup slot.

He said: “There will be one side of me quite pleased if we don’t qualify for Europe, because it will mean we can attack next season without having the extra pressure of Europa League.

“Having said that, the other side of me would welcome it because it would take the club forward, bond some of the players to the club, and it would be an achievement of sorts. We could also perhaps add to the squad with the extra finance we’d get.”

To do what exactly? Try and finish in the top 6 to reach European football?

:clap:

Unless we're planning on challenging for the Champions League places or the title next season, that statement makes no sense whatsoever. :lol:

What is the minimum number of extra games we'd have btw? Both from getting 5th and getting in via another placing (ie with qualifying as well)?

min. 2 play off games if we come 5th and got knocked out.

Cup place goes straight into the groups (min. 6 games) but I imagine they'd swap that and the 5th if it got the place got transferred to league.