Will we qualify for the Champions League? Sadly not...

Rich

This rule is just unfair, i can get that winning the Champions League you should probably defend it...

But fuck that, if you don't finish in the champions league in the domestic you shouldn't deserve to be in it, what if they just rested their whole squad until the final, then finished 6th, then go on to win the final with a fresh team?! Id be foaming!

It's all liverpools fault for being winey little cunts we already had the rules set in place, liverpool bitch about it, change the rules and now it could seriously effect us!

If it does indeed happen, we finish 4th, chelsea win the champions league, we shouldn't just say  lets get on with it! fuck that, probably our only chance for a few years and it could set us up for many years

Tbh if we did finish 4th and chelsea won it theyd take uefa to court imo, we'd end up getting our slot imo.  They just have to angle in a nother qualifier

I am certainly not going to be upset if we make it, but I can't help but feel it may be too soon for us to be in the CL yet.

Having to go through the qualifiers could really screw up the summer transfers. I am sure we have plans in place for who we had expected to go for but if we have the chance of CL these plans may be at best, put on ice, leaving with late signings, missing pre season and possibly missing out on the players we have earmarked as someone else snaps them up

Also, if we do make it in, the players, especially any new signings, will be much more likely to leave next summer if we don't repeat the feat and get in every year.

I am over the moon that we have Europe to look forward to next season and I will not be turning my nose up if it is 'only' the Europe League.

I share a lot of these feelings, but at the end of the day I'd still celebrate the CL like a madman. What's the point of football if not to reach as high as you can? Pointless worrying about the bad effects, it's down to the management to mitigate those.

This rule is just unfair, i can get that winning the Champions League you should probably defend it...

But fuck that, if you don't finish in the champions league in the domestic you shouldn't deserve to be in it, what if they just rested their whole squad until the final, then finished 6th, then go on to win the final with a fresh team?! Id be foaming!

It's all liverpools fault for being winey little cunts we already had the rules set in place, liverpool bitch about it, change the rules and now it could seriously effect us!

If it does indeed happen, we finish 4th, chelsea win the champions league, we shouldn't just say  lets get on with it! fuck that, probably our only chance for a few years and it could set us up for many years

The issue with Liverpool was that there was no rule neither for or against concerning "defending champions", so they whined about it until UEFA added it. IMO it should've gone the other way, in the sense that UEFA made a rule saying only qualified teams get to stay in it like FIFA have done with the WC and UEFA actually have done with the EC (IIRC).

WE are also very fortunate that we have to play them now, when they won't give a fuck about the league and maybe they'll even be resting players.

Great post except for this bit; all of their players are suspended for the final :lol:

It's less than 72 hours before the FA Cup final, can see them resting a lot of players against us and going all out to win 2 cups.

WE are also very fortunate that we have to play them now, when they won't give a f*** about the league and maybe they'll even be resting players.

Great post except for this bit; all of their players are suspended for the final :lol:

It's less than 72 hours before the FA Cup final, can see them resting a lot of players against us and going all out to win 2 cups.

dunno like, i think they'd rather guarantee a champs league place than win the fa cup. if they win at the weekend i think we'll face as strong a team as they can put out, however with the champs league final to come will they be worried about injury etc ?

I think I can deal with missing out on the CL should Chelsea win it. What I'll struggle with is other fans and media pundits being pleased about it and gloating, even though some might feign sympathy.

I'm not trying to be holier than thou about this. When Everton finished 4th a few years ago, I was quite jealous and would have been quite happy to see them miss out when Liverpool won the CL. Likewise when Spurs missed out on the last day of the season a while back when half their team developed the runs.

Schadenfreude, they call it.

I think it's mainly because some clubs have historically had enough wealth to sustain themselves (Man Utd) and other ones success has landed in their lap due to a rich benefactor (Chelsea, Man City).

I know it's the only way to win the league, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Surely in sport, of all things, there's a big difference between earning success and buying it?

What has been earnt? Man U should be allowed to dominate ad infinitum because they have dominated in the past, and therefore built up more money than anyone else? They earn more money because their past success have given them more fans, more prestige, allowed them to construct some of the best facilities in the world, and given them a position of power and influence over all aspects of the game. It is a self-perpetuating cycle of dominance. The massive financial upheaval is an attempt to upset the position of such entities.

What a load of tosh.

Clubs winning the lottery and gaining infinite wealth that should be nowhere near football in the first place is not natural progression. It's false and will only serve to extend the monopoly that the Premier League and Champions League have created, in the process screwing over clubs attempting to do things the right way - ie ourselves. Watching them win trophies is certainly not going to be a pleasant change.

I'm sure you're over the moon that the existance of your other club (OM) is going to be rendered pointless over the next decade?

There is no right way, there are only means and ends. At the end of things, we have still achieved our position by using our predatory financial position to remove the best assets from other clubs. We've played our part now and in the past. From my view, either input false equivalency measures (such as those in the American sports) or deal with the consequences of free spending. I don't particularly care where it has come from, frankly.

Just last season, OM purchased two forwards for upwards of 30 million euro, why can I complain if someone comes in with even more money.

Man U are hampered by being heavily in debt to financial institutions, and having to pay for their owner's purchase of the club.

The Fergie factor has been keeping them up there challenging for the title. I don't think their squad is nearly as good as Man City's or Chelsea's, and not much better than Spurs or Arsenal, on paper at least.

WE are also very fortunate that we have to play them now, when they won't give a fuck about the league and maybe they'll even be resting players.

Could be a benefit in itself. Those suspended players have the winds knocked out of their sails, figuring what's the point when they can't fight for their place in the final! [/strawclutching]

Was gutted last night. The thought of finishing potentially 4th and losing out to those lucky cunts would be unbearable.

Finishing 3rd would be a lot less hassle. Let's just do that instead, please.

WE are also very fortunate that we have to play them now, when they won't give a f*** about the league and maybe they'll even be resting players.

dunno like, i think they'd rather guarantee a champs league place than win the fa cup. if they win at the weekend i think we'll face as strong a team as they can put out, however with the champs league final to come will they be worried about injury etc ?

I suppose exactly how many players they rest depends on their next result as you say.  Either way I can't see them putting a full strength side out when they've a one-off chance to win a trophy days later.  Might not rest as many if they're still looking likely for CL qualification but can't see it being properly full strength.  Can Drogba even play effectively twice in 3 days now?  They didn't seem to think so against Arsenal the other day although they were of course resting him for a far more important game.

I don't know if this has been covered, it probably has. But if Chelsea were to win the CL final and Newcastle finished third. Would we go into the qualifying rounds and Chelsea would go to groups? How would that work out?

Was gutted last night. The thought of finishing potentially 4th and losing out to those lucky c***s would be unbearable.

This. If we are in the Champions League spot at the end of the season I am going to put a large amount of money on Chelsea to win the CL just to ease the pain of us not getting the spot (if they do win it).

Was gutted last night. The thought of finishing potentially 4th and losing out to those lucky cunts would be unbearable.

Concurred Someone let Wenger know what the craic is.

It wil be a helluva lot harder for Chelski to win the final with all those players missing than it was last night to park a bus infront of the goal for 45mins. They have to go out and win the final, which will leave gaps in their already non-existent defence. Should be fun.

I don't know if this has been covered, it probably has. But if Chelsea were to win the CL final and Newcastle finished third. Would we go into the qualifying rounds and Chelsea would go to groups? How would that work out?

I would imagine the winner gets priority, so 3rd would play the qualifier.

I would imagine the winner gets priority, so 3rd would play the qualifier.

liverpool went into the qualifiers but that was a mish mash to get them in, was anything actual ruling laid out afterwards ?

It wil be a helluva lot harder for Chelski to win the final with all those players missing than it was last night to park a bus infront of the goal for 45mins. They have to go out and win the final, which will leave gaps in their already non-existent defence. Should be fun.

Yh plus the point that Bayern and Madrid have more than one gameplan and are more direct and take risks in possession.

Instead of passing it sideways and backwards all game long.

I will still be incredibly nervous if we finish 4th, watching the CL final hoping Chelsea lose.