The other games today - 2011/12

Beren

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Highlight of the season, man. We've all been wanting Spanish style GOL GOL GOL GOOOOOL! stuff for years.

If you want some free money, get it on us to go down.

After tonight, I am utterly convinced. There's no point hiding it or trying to tough it out, if there were any justice in football, we would be relegated, we totally, totally deserve it.

I've also never witnessed a club where the fans were so utterly disconnected from every single level of the management of the club - and I say this having supported us through over 30 years of Doug Ellis.

:lol:

I've been waiting patiently for about 20 minutes to see the last poster in this thread being brummie.  Knew it would be gold.

Love reading Brummies posts at the minute, great to see Villa floundering and falling.

Not sure I can see Bolton/Blackburn picking up more than 4pts more though to overtake them.

On the plus side for their fans they've 22 clubs that they can sign their 'Have you ever won a European Cup?' song too. Enjoy.

Puts on tin hat.

Surely, the very best result for us would  be finish third and see Chelsea win the thing.  Missing out on Champions League football would really hurt both Arsenal and Spurs. (Chelsea, on the other hand, can just spend their way back in.)

That said, the risk is too great. Hope Real Madrid or Bayern crush them in the final. (Can't believe I'm going be rooting for Real Madrid over the next couple of weeks.) No way Mourinho loses to Chelsea. So, I'm behind them 100%. First Liverpool, now Real Madrid. Feels icky.

Villa will stay up by the skin of their teeth, they'll get a point out of their remaining games which will probably be enough.

if bolton get 4 points from 4 games villa will go as i can;t see villa getting another point (wigan have yet to play wolves so i think they'll stay up)

I am honestly aghast that there are Newcastle fans who enjoyed watching that and were even close to being in two minds about it. Really completely and utterly puzzled.

What's so difficult to understand that the best scenario for us is for Chelsea to have one extra match in the run, get distracted with the CL final and then lose in the finals (which is likely given how many of their key players will be out)? Support Barcelona all you want but don't insult others as not supporting our team just because they have a different view

on the best scenario for NUFC

There is absolutely no way this is the best possible scenario for NUFC.

Jesus Christ.

And why not? You're talking as if we've got 4th spot sewn up. We have some tough fixtures coming up and there is no way we will win them all. We'll need Chelsea to screw up their league games too and the best way for this to happen is for them to have a congested fixture list with their mind distracted on the CL final.

The best scenario for us is for the above to happen and then of course for them to fuck up the CL finals. Unless you can given reasons otherwise, you're just talking rubbish

You are aware by them reaching the CL final their fixture list is no more congested than it would be by not reaching it in terms of games during the league season? CL final is a week after the final PL game.

Can see where you're coming from though.

Villa will stay up by the skin of their teeth, they'll get a point out of their remaining games which will probably be enough.

if bolton get 4 points from 4 games villa will go as i can;t see villa getting another point (wigan have yet to play wolves so i think they'll stay up)

Think they'll just about survive. Though I think that's more the mentality of "it'd be funny if they went down, so it won't happen."

Guest ObiChrisKenobi
barcastuff ‏ @barcastuff

Retweet

Favorite

· Open

Xavi (169) has made 24 more passes than the whole team of Chelsea (145) during tonight's game #fcblive #ucl

Still lost.  :iamatwat:

We're 4 points ahead of Chelsea with 4th place in our own hands.

Chelsea being in the final has completely taken it out of our own hands. We won't even be able to celebrate finishing 4th if it happened FFS. How can people try to skew this to be positive is completely beyond me.

Ya coz there's no way for Chelsea to beat us at home or Man City whose still going for the title to beat us or for Wigan who is fighting off relegation and who just recently beat Man Utd and Arsenal to beat us or fir Everton to beat us at home. There's just no way for Chelsea to catch up with us. Yeah right, you're living in cuckoo land. And for the record it's not out of our hands, not unless a severely understrengthed Chelsea (they won't have a recognized CB for fuck sake) beat Bayern or Madrid in the final which is a big ask.

Think they'll just about survive. Though I think that's more the mentality of "it'd be funny if they went down, so it won't happen."

Happened to us :lol:

As good a poster you are Brummie, the "Who's Your Messiah Now" banner will not make me shed any tears for Villa going down. I hope we're the last team they play and we can unfurl our own banner, "You never even had a Messiah LOLZ" or something along those eloquent lines.

But yeah, good club, good fan (brummie).

If you want some free money, get it on us to go down.

After tonight, I am utterly convinced. There's no point hiding it or trying to tough it out, if there were any justice in football, we would be relegated, we totally, totally deserve it.

I've also never witnessed a club where the fans were so utterly disconnected from every single level of the management of the club - and I say this having supported us through over 30 years of Doug Ellis.

:lol:

I've been waiting patiently for about 20 minutes to see the last poster in this thread being brummie.  Knew it would be gold.

The loudest chanting I've heard all season was tonight, it was five minutes from the end, "Fuck McLeish M'Lord, fuck McLeish" and "Fuck off McLeish, the Villa is ours".

Although not as funnily poignant as Saturday against Sunderland as they alternated "Martin, you're a twat" with "Alex, you're a twat".

Surely you must be more fucked off with the board though?  Hiring an ex blue with a history of turgid football.  Can't blame Mcleish for taking the contract he was offered and you knew what football he'd be serving up.

As good a poster you are Brummie, the "Who's Your Messiah Now" banner will not make me shed any tears for Villa going down. I hope we're the last team they play and we can unfurl our own banner, "You never even had a Messiah LOLZ" or something along those eloquent lines.

we would do exactly the same as they did that day.

we would do exactly the same as they did that day.

Can't remember any massive gloating etc when we sent Palace down last day of 94/5. Was a while back like so can't massively remember.

83% to 17% possession. Crazy game.

it's a tactic that it is starting to get sussed, barce are getting sussed as are other teams who dominate possession without getting men in front of the ball. there is a sea change coming.

The Catalan press aren't too pleased with tonight's events and weren't gracious in defeat. We all know Barcelona's qualities but tonight but they couldn't find a way past Chelsea when they really needed to.

Sport.es said:

Unjust, cruel, horrible... Any adjective is not enough to describe the incredible Barca elimination at the hands of Chelsea. Few times a team had all the qualities to move to a Champions League final and also Guardiola. And rarely a rival, with so little, won the prize.

Meow.

That isn't all, there's some more insults for Chelsea:

It is difficult to explain how the club could throw away a tie in which it was infinitely better than its rival. The Chelsea at Camp Nou was like that of the first leg at Stamford Bridge. A team stingy, cowardly, vulgar. Unworthy of a competition as big as this. Their ultra-conservative tactic led them to defend tooth and nail with all players in the area of Cech. It's amazing how, with so little, they were able to score three goals in 180 minutes.

Possession is an obsolete, useless, and generally incorrect statistic. If you ever studied the way it is computed, you would realise that it has no place in a football discussion such as the one we are currently engaged in. The only way to really judge what occurred in a football match is to have watched the football match, and this is unfortunate.

Guest Sophie S

And why not? You're talking as if we've got 4th spot sewn up. We have some tough fixtures coming up and there is no way we will win them all. We'll need Chelsea to screw up their league games too and the best way for this to happen is for them to have a congested fixture list with their mind distracted on the CL final.

The best scenario for us is for the above to happen and then of course for them to f*** up the CL finals. Unless you can given reasons otherwise, you're just talking rubbish

The only positive thing I can find is the chance of Chelsea resting some players next Wednesday against us, for fear of injury. But somehow, I can't really see them doing that 17 days before the CL final. (Which will take place a week after the last premier league match!) As they are not going to give up on the leaguecompletely now. So hardly any advantage for us.

But on the negative side, CL qualification is now out of our hands. (Can't believe how anyone could say it's still in our hands). Because even if we win all remaining games, we depend on either Chelsea or Arsenal to bottle it.

I not only fail to understand those supporting Chelski tonight, but also those saying how "fantastic" they played. They played like crap, had a man sent off, played the Sam Allardyce / Greek 04 style of footie that made Otto Rehhagel a household name that kids muttered under their breaths on schoolyard pitches when the fat kids parked their big backsides across goal.

Barca were unimaginative in their penetration, but please, for the love of football, don't promote the drivel served up by teams like Chelsea which further underline that even if they go on to win this cup, they will not be deserved winners.