How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

Hagi man, drove me nuts. He was mostly w*** and walked around the pitch for us, that's when he wasn't just making friends in the club's infirmary. Yet you knew he was capable of such magic that you still were on your toes every time he managed to get the ball.

Anyway, all in all I don't rate him. He had that World Cup, but he played for two big European clubs and failed at both. One of those geniuses that just can't do it unless they are king of the mice.

That said, I still remember that goal he scored from kickoff against Celta.

Nice phrase, stolen it.

Well, that was a bit of a lead balloon! So:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md2r6yZOx41rys7xmo1_500.jpg

Probably one of my favourite ever players. Absolute joy to watch. Really believe he would have gone down as one of the greats had that Turkey incident not happened :laugh: Thought he had pretty much everything to his game, performed at a consistently high level for club and country. A goalscorer, a creator, could control a midfield. Just great all round really :laugh:

That overhead kick man. Ridiculous.

Wasn't just the goal it was what it meant..... last minute over head kick to complete a hatrick and a CL place  :clap:

Anyway he was one of my favourite players growing up i use to love watching him and Kluivert was just a joy to watch.

His free kicks were immense ( reoccurring theme with these past players  :laugh: ) and as mentioned in full flow he was so exciting.

My lasting memory of him was 2002 WC and that team and that front 3 and my personally belief that he was the best player at that tournament.

Ronaldo had just come back from injury and didn't seem as explosive as he once was, but it didn't matter because this guy was behind him creating chances and coming up with unbelievable magic.

Was my favourite non-nufc player until Ronaldinho came along but will always be remembered fondly by me.

I used to have a Barca shirt with his name on the back. What an immense player. Fucking loved him man. Didn't give a shit about the Turkey incident, I thought it was funny years ago :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Rivaldo? Nowhere near as highly as everyone else did. It was plain to see that he was a very good football, I just never thought that he was in the very top bracket.

Used to rate him highly, but after WC2002 vs South Korea i've hated him since. And he was rubbish vs us at olympiacos.

BRilliant for a few years, but a total dickhead. Nowhere near others mentioned in this thread

That hat trick v Valencia on the last day of a season is still probably the best I've seen.

This but also this:

Rivaldo? Nowhere near as highly as everyone else did. It was plain to see that he was a very good football, I just never thought that he was in the very top bracket.

One of my favorite players of all time, absolutely incredible when at his best and has one of the best left-foots i've ever seen, fact is he's won almost all there is to win in football, at one point he was close to signing for us but Milan snapped him at the last minute and then effectively ended his career which is a real shame, still think he's the main reason Brazil won the WC in 2002.