Floated set penis to Williamson/Taylor at back post

Dave

Corners are much less threatening than people think in general, but ours are still poo.

Apparently Man City scored 15 goals (16% of total league goals) from corners last season while Man U have scored 13 from corners so far this season. That's a huge number to be considered 'less threatening' than perceived.

Corners are much less threatening than people think in general, but ours are still poo.

Apparently Man City scored 15 goals (16% of total league goals) from corners last season while Man U have scored 13 from corners so far this season. That's a huge number to be considered 'less threatening' than perceived.

How do they compare to other sides?

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9156/cornergoals.jpg

Numbers til October this season, with an average of 13.74% which is pretty significant if I must say. I'll try to find more up-to-date data.

1 or 2 goals from corners if you managed to score ten league goals is significant iyam. Using the average conversion and our current goal tally, it would have meant we would have scored an additional 4 corner goals this season so far.

1 or 2 goals from corners if you managed to score ten league goals is significant iyam. Using the average conversion and our current goal tally, it would have meant we would have scored an additional 4 corner goals this season so far.

Well arguably, but how many corners did it take?

Obviously it's significant in terms of goal total, but it doesn't mean corners are a good way to score goals.

Well arguably, but how many corners did it take?

Obviously it's significant in terms of goal total, but it doesn't mean corners are a good way to score goals.

Same way as you will argue the % of goals from open play scored from chances created (conversion rate). In fact, if we were to consider the effectiveness of corner goals, we will have to compare %conversion from corners against that from open play to have our verdict.

Ultimately, those teams are creating enough chances/corners and converting them to account for a good % of their goals. The fact is even with a fair number of corners this season, we have massively disappointed.

On the subject of corners, it is interesting to note the number of goals conceded from corners as well. (Data for last season, til April)

Team Goals scored from corners Goals conceded from corners Aggregate goals from corners

Man City 12 2 +10

West Brom 6 1 +5

Man Utd 7 3 +4

Norwich 7 3 +4

Chelsea 4 0 +4

Everton 5 2 +3

Sunderland 4 1 +3

Wolves 6 5 +1

Tottenham 5 4 +1

Blackburn 8 8 0

Stoke 4 5 -1

Arsenal 3 4 -1

Liverpool 5 7 -2

Fulham 3 5 -2

Newcastle 1 3 -2

QPR 3 6 -3

Swansea 3 6 -3

Wigan 3 6 -3

Bolton 3 10 -7

Aston Villa 0 11 -11

How many have we conceded so far this season? The two from Man U, Reading(?), Ba's derby o.g. springs to mind atm. Defensively we are wank from corners too.  :(

With Mbiwa and Sissoko (fingers crossed) and no more Williamson, I'm confident we will score from a set piece before the end of the season.

Then we will be able to seal this thread in a lead box and bury it at the bottom of the ocean as it harbours a lot of bad energy.

To be fair it wasn't really Williamson not being able to head it and more the fact that the delivery has been shite. Is it that hard not to keep chipping it to the end of box where we lose every header and instead put it in the six yard box?

Guest icemanblue

With Mbiwa and Sissoko (fingers crossed) and no more Williamson, I'm confident we will score from a set piece before the end of the season.

Then we will be able to seal this thread in a lead box and bury it at the bottom of the ocean as it harbours a lot of bad energy.

We scored from a set piece last week, like.

I can just see it now, as Cabaye starts to take a corner, Williamson jumps off the bench and starts running towards the box, Cabaye takes it a he gets to the edge of the box, Williamson gets a firm head on it, and the ball goes out of the stadium.

Someone sent in a book proposal on sporting statistics to the publisher where I work  - in it was a stat that only 2.5% of corners (put directly into the box) taken in the premier league resulted in goals and that staistically teams would be much better off taking the corner short and keeping possession.

Someone sent in a book proposal on sporting statistics to the publisher where I work  - in it was a stat that only 2.5% of corners (put directly into the box) taken in the premier league resulted in goals and that staistically teams would be much better off taking the corner short and keeping possession.

How does that compare to other attacks though?

I can just see it now, as Cabaye starts to take a corner, Williamson jumps off the bench and starts running towards the box, Cabaye takes it a he gets to the edge of the box, Williamson gets a firm head on it, and the ball goes out of the stadium.

:lol: I was getting so excited before the end of this

It's a lot too ask anyone to score direct with a header from a floater, just whip it in man.

This is a massive part of the problem for us. Not only free kicks and corners but delivery from open play. On one side Santon cannot put crosses in with his weaker foot, and up until recently Danny Simpson had a 9 iron for a foot. I've been saying for long enough whip the fucker in with pace on.