Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

We would only get a current unemployed manager IMO

Obviously a lot of these are unrealistic or we really wouldn't want (last 6)

Rafa Benitez

Co Adriaanese

Luis Enrique

Felix Magath

Huub Stevens

Lothur Matthaus

Laurent Blanc

Gerard Houlier

Avram Grant

Roberto Di Matteo

Bernd Schuster

Christophe Daum

Javier Irureta

Mark Hughes

Owen Coyle

Alan Curbishley

Martin O'Neill

Alex McLeish

Owen Coyle

Owen Coyle. So good you listed him twice. :lol:

Not a good manager, but I've got a soft spot for Coyle. Probably the sweatpants and pullover combo.

I refuse to believe that there isn't a manager out there who could do better than Pardew and be willing to work for Ashley. Whether or not Llambias has got the nous to sniff him out and appoint him is another matter entirely though.

Buying out the contract of a good manager would be the best money we could spend this summer, better than signing any player and it would have a much bigger, positive impact on the team, squad and club as a whole. Pardew's a dead duck imo. 

We should get Luis Enrique just to confuse the pundits who are wondering why we have employed our old left back as our manager.

Or Steve Kean.

God help us. :lol:

Tbf they have completely fallen apart without him, maybe he's not as bad as claimed  :undecided:

I'd honestly think about giving an ex-player a chance. Someone like Ketsbaia with Solano as assistant or something like that.  We might need to get back to the roots of this club. We might need someone who knows what this club means like Keegan or SBR knew.

This "nobody would take this job" crack is entirely tedious. Look of many of the world's biggest name managers have been willing to drink from the poisoned chalice at Chelsea.

We're not Chelsea, but then we're not likely to be after the same managers as them. The idea that decent managers wouldn't want to work with our players is genuinely laughable.

Guest Craig-NUFC

This "nobody would take this job" crack is entirely tedious. Look of many of the world's biggest name managers have been willing to drink from the poisoned chalice at Chelsea.

We're not Chelsea, but then we're not likely to be after the same managers as them. The idea that decent managers wouldn't want to work with our players is genuinely laughable.

Don't think it's anything to do with that, more an issue with not being willing to pay the same wages other clubs will offer.

I think "nobody would take this job" is trotted out when people are struggling to stick up for Pardew so they pull that one out of the hat.

Problem is I have trouble believing that we'd pay them the going rate. Moyes for example is on £3m per year. Also there's the fact that good managers tend to already be in a job; that's more money I don't think we'd pay. We'd need to find someone on a free that's willing to take on our setup and wage offer and basically arselick them constantly. Pardew has always fitted this mould.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Look at the people Ashley has employed previously as manager, and coaching staff that have been hired over the years. His experience with paying off Allardyce and his staff has seriously influenced how he approaches recruiting non-playing staff.

Don't think it's anything to do with that, more an issue with not being willing to pay the same wages other clubs will offer.

Really though? Most managers get paid the same as your average squad player don't they? Can't imagine Michael Laudrup's raking it in at Swansea.

Exactly. Managers are aware of Newcastle's poisoned chalice, but their ego will drive them to the job because they want to be 'the one' that finally succeeds. Imagine how great that'd look.

Managers with their head screwed on know that it's not a poisoned chalice though. Look at the way the likes of Wenger, Ferguson and Mourinho have went on about us in the past. The potential here is massive and as we have shown with Keegan, SBR and even how much we took to Hughton. If managers are getting us going into the right direction then they will get our support.

Look at the support Pardew received last season and I find it incredulous that he doesn't seem to be under any pressure whatsoever from the media.

Look at the people Ashley has employed previously as manager, and coaching staff that have been hired over the years. His experience with paying off Allardyce and his staff has seriously influenced how he approaches recruiting non-playing staff.

OCK for manager. :D

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

OCK for manager. :D

I'll hire Rich as Analysis Guy. We made a blood pact at Wrestlemania.  :lol:

Exactly. Managers are aware of Newcastle's poisoned chalice, but their ego will drive them to the job because they want to be 'the one' that finally succeeds. Imagine how great that'd look.

True. Which is why the character of the person who will take us forward is extremely important. Benitez imo has a reasonable combination of character to go along with his vast footballing knowledge and experience. Not ideal, but certainly a step in the right direction.

Still, I'd much rather someone slightly younger, with a distinct philosophy on how the game is best played. I don't want a manager who is too rigid in his ideals though (a la Rodgers). Just someone passionate who is forever willing to learn and improve, and who transmits that to his players.

I don;t know why, but Poyet just might fit the above description?

Benitez? Sure he's better than Pardew but he's not exactly known for playing entertaining football is he?

We will not get entertainment immediately. Our entertainment will be getting the results against teams we "should" be beating, and possibly a couple of surprise results here and there. We need to set a good foundation up and down the club.

When Hughton was in charge, I was under the impression that we'd taken care of our infrastructure/medical/youth tiers, and were well run again. This season and to an extent last season has made me doubt that. Benitez would sort it out.