Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

I wonder what influence Pardew is having/has had on the future of the club. If any. Involvement in the reserves/youth teams, long-term strategies for the training ground, transfers etc. Considering the eight year contracts you'd think it's a significant involvement, which offers another reason why they'd not want to bin him any time soon. I don't think us finishing bottom half makes a great deal of difference. As long as we're in the top flight and taking our share of the ridiculous TV money then I can't imagine Ashley being too bothered.

How is he not bothered? Wasn't he the one who wanted to produce local talent to avoid spending on extortionate transfer fees? I think he's very much bothered, or he wouldn't have gone to the lengths he has upgrading training facilities and the academy.

Huh? I mean bothered about what we actually achieve year on year. As long as we're in the Premier League I imagine it's pretty much job done.

If we could develop more of our own talent (read: spend less money) then all the better.

Yes, and this also has knock on effects. It would generate excitement amongst the local talent who will believe again that they have a chance to succeed at their own club rather than look elsewhere for a chance. It would also build some trust and bridge the gap between the ownership and fan base.

I think he has much more to gain by making sure this blueprint starts to bear fruit sooner than later.

You'd imagine they'd a mandate from the 1st team manager from top to bottom with a vision on how he wants to play football, and how he wants youth players to be developed to fit into that vision. You'd imagine that.

Hmm, that could change things a bit then. If not Pardew, who is leading/directing this element of the club?

I haven't studied his philosophies or tactics or anything but Rafa won the CL, and finished runners up a few years later, with Liverpool. Compared to Pardew's Ronseal Challenge Cup win it would be quite an upgrade.

:lol:

Don't think he'd come here anyway.

He would also want a big salary, a big transfer budget and complete control - none of which he would get here.  He also has a history of falling out with those above him and lets the media know when there are internal issues preventing him from doing his job so definitely not one to toe the party line.

Guest Craig-NUFC

You'd imagine they'd a mandate from the 1st team manager from top to bottom with a vision on how he wants to play football, and how he wants youth players to be developed to fit into that vision. You'd imagine that.

Hmm, that could change things a bit then. If not Pardew, who is leading/directing this element of the club?

Suspect this is the responsibility of Beardsley as Head of Youth Development?

Personally think we need a complete rehaul of staff. Managers bringing in their mates as coaches is a pet peeve of mine, but that's another debate for a different thread.

If we were to go French, and it would be a real gamble, then the best one that is set to be available is Rene Girard. He's foolishly being let go by oafish club boss Louis Nicollin despite leading a team of misfits and youngsters to the Ligue 1 title last season and keeping them in contention for Europe this term. He has reportedly said that might be it for him in terms of management but a chance in the PL could potentially lure him. I don't think he speaks English but would already have a relationship with MYM and could potentially bring the likes of Younes Belhanda or Remy Cabella with him.

It would be a massive gamble as I said, but Blanc would want CL football, no doubt about that, and I think Garcia is pretty committed to the project at Lille.

Benitez? Sure he's better than Pardew but he's not exactly known for playing entertaining football is he?

We will not get entertainment immediately. Our entertainment will be getting the results against teams we "should" be beating, and possibly a couple of surprise results here and there. We need to set a good foundation up and down the club.

When Hughton was in charge, I was under the impression that we'd taken care of our infrastructure/medical/youth tiers, and were well run again. This season and to an extent last season has made me doubt that. Benitez would sort it out.

That's a very good point actually. That's the type of manager I want us to go for. Then again would they be allowed that much control?  :dontknow:

When we appointed McLeish (yes, I know, some consolation prize), Lerner had actually met with Benitez to discuss him taking over.

Lerner cut the meeting short within twenty minutes, as Benitez made it really clear he wasn't going to go anywhere he didn't have a significant amount of money to spend, and that was at odds with the way Lerner wanted to take the club.

I'd imagine that he's going to insist on decent money to spend wherever he goes.

Hasn't Moyes moaned about Europe in the past? Might have been the season they released that DVD only to get knocked out of both competitions at the earliest opportunity.

Purely speculation but I am fairly certain a new manager would have to fit a certain criteria -

* Not currently employed (ie no compensation)

* Willing to work for low wages but with the potential to earn more on performance

* Not mind that they have little input when it comes to transfers (see Mr K Keegan)

* Willing to sign a contract that entitles them to minimum compensation if it doesn't work out

if we were to and i don't think we will unless we go down, i think it would be a Pochettino type, little known to many but with a good reputation within the game. don't aske for a name, hence the "little known".

This "nobody would take this job" crack is entirely tedious. Look of many of the world's biggest name managers have been willing to drink from the poisoned chalice at Chelsea.

We're not Chelsea, but then we're not likely to be after the same managers as them. The idea that decent managers wouldn't want to work with our players is genuinely laughable.

Don't think it's anything to do with that, more an issue with not being willing to pay the same wages other clubs will offer.

Paying big wages doesn't necessarily get you the best manager in any case. Benitez or Deschamps would cost a lot more than Poyet but if I was given a choice based on what I've seen of their respective teams I'd prefer Poyet. I like the look of the Southampton manager for a similar reason despite the fact his English is poor. He is very self-confident.

if we were to and i don't think we will unless we go down, i think it would be a Pochettino type, little known to many but with a good reputation within the game. don't aske for a name, hence the "little known".

Yep.

Leonardo Jardim could be a good choice. Can play defensively but not in a negative "let's hope for a miracle" way. Fired from Olympiacos nobody knows why, rumour has it he made love :whistle: to the chairmans wife. Never a good way to keep the job. Portuguese managers are quality.

From the list above, I would go for the french guy. Impressive season.

;D

Finished 3rd in Portuguese league (Braga) last season.

This year was easily dominating the Greek league, 17 games, 14W, 3D. Also made 9 points in the CL group stage (Arsenal 10, Schalke 12), which is quite good for a Greek team. Was fired anyway. So yea, that's the unofficial, not confirmed, atleast yet, version. Mourinho did something similar in Porto and was threatened by the main fan group, Super Dragões, because he was texting one of their leaders wife.

Reading this thread. Delayed response.

Get that Jesus fella from Benfica. Surey he'd fancy a step up to a real league where you don't have to play against farmers for 90% of your opponents.

Really liked how his team were so aggressive but still passed the ball low in the penalty area. It did cross my mind as well.

According to him, everytime a player leaves the team he tells them "you're not going to a bigger club but yes, you're going to earn more money". Since he is getting 4M€/season, making him the best paid person in the club (including players) I believe it will be difficult for him to leave.

Two ways:

A. He loses everything in the last games and our president doesn't renew his contract (expires this season).

B. He gets offered a salary higher than 4M€ a year.

But yea, he's good. Mourinho, Villas-Boas, Jesus, the top3 portuguese managers.