Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

I think going forward there are only we two realistic approaches we could/should take:

1. Stick with Pardew. This essentially subscribes to the view, one which I happen to believe, that all virtually all manager's are a much of a muchness. Pardew will have some good seasons, some bad ones but will improve over time based on him gaining more experience and the squad gradually developing.

2. Get a footballing vision. Do what Swansea, Ajax, Barca etc. do and decide a way you want to play football and find a manager who fits into that philosophy.

I, and a I think everyone else, would rather see 2 but I personally don't see it happening. I think the Llambias/Ashley approach is too business-like to have a real focus on playing a really specific type of football.

Basically unless we're going to subscribe to a specific footballing vision then we might as well keep Pardew. If we sack Pardew without moving to a specific vision then we'll get someone like Jol, who'll leave in 2 or so years when things get a bit difficult again, he'll be replaced by xxx who'll leave in 2 years or so when things get a bit difficult again etc.

I think going forward there are only we two realistic approaches we could/should take:

1. Stick with Pardew. This essentially subscribes to the view, one which I happen to believe, that all virtually all manager's are a much of a muchness. Pardew will have some good seasons, some bad ones but will improve over time based on him gaining more experience and the squad gradually developing.

2. Get a footballing vision. Do what Swansea, Ajax, Barca etc. do and decide a way you want to play football and find a manager who fits into that philosophy.

I, and a I think everyone else, would rather see 2 but I personally don't see it happening. I think the Llambias/Ashley approach is too business-like to have a real focus on playing a really specific type of football.

Basically unless we're going to subscribe to a specific footballing vision then we might as well keep Pardew. If we sack Pardew without moving to a specific vision then we'll get someone like Jol, who'll leave in 2 or so years when things get a bit difficult again, he'll be replaced by xxx who'll leave in 2 years or so when things get a bit difficult again etc.

Aye, if we as fans dictated what direction this club pulled in. Sadly we don't and the current lot on charge will be happy with anything as long as we make money

Wouldn't Martinez more or less be a nan-starter from Wigan because of Ashley/Whelan? Unless he walks I suppose.

He's fiercely loyal to Whelan. Doubt he'll walk on Whelan, especially for Ashley's club.

Genuine question, what makes you think that Benitez is worse than Pardew?

He'd cost a lot more and not necessarily achieve much for it. Yes I agree, tactically he's much better than Pardew, but to me he's one of those cases where you end up paying for the reputation rather than the results. Like I said, his over-defensive line ups meant his finishing league positions were consistently disappointing for Liverpool considering the money they threw at it.

I should qualify though, while I don't want a defensive manager here, he will implement it a lot better than Pardew. He'll do it in a continental style which will suit our players far better, and the formations and team selection will actually look balanced with round pegs in round holes. So while I'd prefer a Poyet personally, I would agree that if wages are taken out of the equation, Rafa is definitely an upgrade so when I said I'd prefer to keep Pardew, that was in fact bollocks.

He'd cost a lot more and not necessarily achieve much for it. Yes I agree, tactically he's much better than Pardew, but to me he's one of those cases where you end up paying for the reputation rather than the results. Like I said, his over-defensive line ups meant his finishing league positions were consistently disappointing for Liverpool considering the money they threw at it.

It was more a question for neesy who thinks Benitez is a poorer manager, which I disagree. I can understand those who consider him a lesser option in view of the set-up here including issues you have mentioned. Putting those aside, he's better tactically, has clear ideas and will make the players work as a team. He also managed to win both domestic and continental competitions with Liverpool, and so nearly got them to their first league title in years.

Agree with you there might be better options like. I prefer an upcoming manager able to impose his ideas on the team and a long-term vision. But when it comes to managerial capabilities, Rafa >>> Pardew definitely.

It was more a question for neesy who thinks Benitez is a poorer manager, which I disagree. I can understand those who consider him a lesser option in view of the set-up here including issues you have mentioned. Putting those aside, he's better tactically, has clear ideas and will make the players work as a team. He also managed to win both domestic and continental competitions with Liverpool, and so nearly got them to their first league title in years.

Agree with you there might be better options like. I prefer an upcoming manager able to impose his ideas on the team and a long-term vision. But when it comes to managerial capabilities, Rafa >>> Pardew definitely.

No doubt. Also we have to take into consideration Mike and Dekka probably don't have access to the football knowledge needed to recruit a well rated up and coming coach so it might be a better option to pay more for an established name. So while Rafa isn't the option I'd go for personally, it might be the safer one under this current regime, assuming they'll actually spend what it takes to recruit him.

at West Ham he certainly tried to play football in the "west ham way" can't say I've seen a lot of Watford this season but can't imagine he'd suddenly turn into a Pulis clone in the meantime

:lol:

cheers, just wondered about zola like as noone seems to have mentioned him

Just came to think of Zola as well, realistic option and by the looks of it Watford has been scoring a shitload. Best part is, he's an extremely likeable guy and I have no doubt he'd help Cisse out a lot to develop more.

Maybe not the best choice around, but certainly one I think we should be looking at.

Guest icemanblue

at West Ham he certainly tried to play football in the "west ham way" can't say I've seen a lot of Watford this season but can't imagine he'd suddenly turn into a Pulis clone in the meantime

Just came to think of Zola as well, realistic option and by the looks of it Watford has been scoring a shitload. Best part is, he's an extremely likeable guy and I have no doubt he'd help Cisse out a lot to develop more.

Maybe not the best choice around, but certainly one I think we should be looking at.

This is an acceptable selection criteria for a new manager? :lol:

Never seen his team play, know very little about how they're actually doing. But, nice guy.

I sometimes wonder how familiar people are with Pardew's record, he wasn't even close to being qualified to come here, it was the most bizarre appointment since... well, Joe Kinnear. I thought it was a bad joke made up by a mackem when he was first linked with us. Before we took him you would have raised and eyebrow at a championship club taking him on. I've always been a critic of Rafa but he's on another planet to Pardew.

Wouldn't take Zola, for starters his preferred formation is 352. He's got some real quality players to help him at Watford, too. The likes of Vydra, Abdi, Chalobah, Forrestieri and obviously Almunia are easily Premiership class from what I've seen.

I'd really like us to go for Vydra as it happens, only 20, won Championship player of the season, plays for the Czech Republic, looks top quality when I've seen him live and my Watford mates rave about him, and they generally know their stuff.

Want Rafa nowhere this club.  Pardew is still a better manager than him.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/983558_o.gif

Rafa would be a great option, on par with Moyes IMO and think we need to make a move for both in the summer, they knock us back fine, least we tried.

I'm unsure on Gary Neville. Whilst I do think he'll eventually become a top manager/coach, he's yet to have any coaching experience at a club. To pluck someone with so little experience straight from the Sky studio would be a huge risk. Couldnt see Ashley doing it. I've got a feeling Neville wouldnt take the job either, think he really wants to learn the trade and not just jump in at the deep end.