Florian Thauvin

Yaron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we are losing Cabella then I can't see the point. Why weaken one side and strengthen the other?

Cabella like some players just needed a year to settle in, what happens if Thauvin needs a year to settle in?

If we are losing Cabella then I can't see the point. Why weaken one side and strengthen the other?

Cabella like some players just needed a year to settle in, what happens if Thauvin needs a year to settle in?

No proof to this at all, he may just not be suited to this league at all

No proof to this at all, he may just not be suited to this league at all

Have can there be no proof of needing a year to settle in? If we don't give him the 2nd year to see if the first was the settling in period? :lol:

Reading through the comments of the french posters on reddit and the general consensus seems to be we are overpaying quite a bit for him and he has a much higher reputation than his performances deserve. Put in a lot of stinkers last season and even at his best is a worse player than Cabella.

Have to say it does seem strange how obsessed we are with this guy, have we not scouted any other wingers?

I'm struggling to be too upset by this. I don't think we've seen anywhere near the best from Cabella, bar a half here or there -- and while Zidedine Zidane would have struggled under the management of Pardew/Carver, I still have my doubts as to whether Cabella's truly cut out for this league. Might be his mentality, might be the lack of pace, lack of physicality, I don't know. He's certainly a talented player but something appears to be missing and we don't appear to have the patience to wait for it to emerge -- if it ever would.

So if his loan is a makeweight in this deal, I'm fine with it. If the option to buy is 8-10m, just my guess, but seems reasonable, then the total cost of the deal would make far more sense. If they're paying Cabella's wages, and I'm sure they are, that helps to explain it, too.

Regarding Thauvin, his strengths are ones we need to be buying. His weaknesses are ones we've had trouble with in the past. Certainly a risk. But if he can play as a pacy, classy winger with actual end product, that would be huge for us. Other than Aarons, who is tremendously exciting but largely unproven, we don't have that. From what we've seen of McClaren's setup, we need it desperately. More importantly, Mitrovic needs it -- and the club needs to be bringing the best out of 13m strikers. It makes sense.

It obviously doesn't eliminate our need for a defender, particularly a fullback, but we do have a separate need for a player like Thauvin, so as long as this doesn't come at the FB's expense, it's a net positive.

I'd be pretty surprised if Thauvin made a successful Premier League player. Been awful at Marseille, having caused a massive stink-up to be transferred there in the first place. We'd better hope that he unleashes a massive stock of professionalism and dedication that he's kept very well hidden up to now.

Really, I'd rather see such an amount spent on a couple of new defenders.

Would've been interesting to see how Cabella would've done with a bit of time but the fact Sammy Ameobi scored more goals last season probably tells its own story. It would appear we have several better options than him for the CAM role and he's certainly not a PL winger. Good move for everyone you'd think.

Cabella is never going to make it in the Premier League.

It's a deal I'll be happy with.

I disagree, he has (like many others) been criminally miss managed under Pardew and Carver. I think he could be a good player in this league in the right set up. Having said that if he wants to leave, I would rather he did.

Such a bizarre transfer.

And I'm not convinced Cabella can't perform at a high level in this league. He went from hardly playing under Pardew to playing under John f***ing Carver. The talent is clearly there and I'd like to see McClaren give him a real chance as a #10, but that seems unlikely.

Exactly.

I don't see how we can complain about having the worst coaches ever and yet still write off someone who only got a year under those same coaches. Makes no sense.

If the club were intent on showing ambition, they'd sign Thauvin and keep Cabella. Unless Cabella himself wants to leave, this stinks of balancing the books again.

Wonder if the injury to Sissoko had a hand in pushing this through so quickly after the weekend.

Such a bizarre transfer.

And I'm not convinced Cabella can't perform at a high level in this league. He went from hardly playing under Pardew to playing under John f***ing Carver. The talent is clearly there and I'd like to see McClaren give him a real chance as a #10, but that seems unlikely.

Exactly.

I don't see how we can complain about having the worst coaches ever and yet still write off someone who only got a year under those same coaches. Makes no sense.

Maybe Cabella wants out? And as has been said many, many times, we've got better options at #10. We need a winger, surely you can see that?

Gary Jacob ‏@garyjacob

Newcastle agree £12m deal for Thauvin but winger needs to decide.

You would think we would check that he actually wants to come here first like :lol:

We will have, man, this will be speculative bollocks. We've been chasing him for ages like most of our signings.

Reading through the comments of the french posters on reddit and the general consensus seems to be we are overpaying quite a bit for him and he has a much higher reputation than his performances deserve. Put in a lot of stinkers last season and even at his best is a worse player than Cabella.

Have to say it does seem strange how obsessed we are with this guy, have we not scouted any other wingers?

:thup: