Alan Pardew

Mike

Yea they take into account wages added but not wages removed via player sales...

Smoke and mirrors indeed

That is exactly what Doug Ellis used to do.

He'd add transfer fee to wages over the full length of the contract, and VAT on top. Dougonomics.

When clubs start engaging in that, it's a sorry state of affairs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10284585/Alan-Pardew-tries-to-quell-Newcastle-United-fans-anger-with-defence-of-lack-of-transfer-activity.html

Alan Pardew has tried to protect the Mike Ashley regime from the fury of disgruntled fans after Newcastle United released a statement in his name in which he defended the club’s lack of transfer activity.

Alan Pardew tries to quell Newcastle fans' anger with defence of lack of transfer activity

Making a statement: Alan Pardew insisted fans should be approaching the season in a “positive, optimistic frame of mind” even though Newcastle were the only top-flight club not to make a permanent signing this summer Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Luke Edwards

10:00PM BST 03 Sep 2013

CommentsComment

In what appears to be a move designed to nullify rising anger on Tyneside, Pardew insisted fans should be approaching the season in a “positive, optimistic frame of mind” even though Newcastle United were the only top-flight club not to make a permanent signing this summer.

Pardew, who had repeatedly said he would be “disappointed” if no signings were made other than Loïc Rémy on loan from Queens Park Rangers, insisted on Tuesday he had a “strong squad” and that they had done their business in January when they signed five players from France.

“We are delighted to have brought Loïc Rémy to the club in this window and we believe he will form an exciting and effective partnership with Papiss Cissé,” said Pardew, in a statement released on the club’s official website.

“Joe has worked hard on numerous targets, particularly an additional offensive player. However, some of the options that were available within our financial means were not as good as the players we already had and there is no point bringing in new players unless they can improve us and take us forward.

“We did the majority of our business in the January window, signing five excellent first-team players. With the strong squad we have we should all approach the season in a positive, optimistic frame of mind.”

Related Articles

Newcastle fans fume at Kinnear

02 Sep 2013

How did your team fare this summer?

03 Sep 2013

Transfer deadline day: as it happened

02 Sep 2013

Premier League: Transfer Talk

26 Aug 2013

Remy bailed over rape allegations

02 Sep 2013

Cabaye's return improves Newcastle's midfield

01 Sep 2013

Sponsored Club Wembley: a stadium experience that’s hard to match

The statement contradicts what Pardew has consistently said over the summer. Newcastle were looking for a centre-back, a left winger and two strikers when Joe Kinnear was appointed director of football in June, but only Rémy arrived.

Newcastle fans are furious about what they perceive as a lack of ambition, and a small squad that flirted dangerously with relegation last season remains vulnerable to injuries and a lack of competition for places.

The attempts to plead poverty and bemoan a lack of “financial means” also do not sit well with supporters who heard repeatedly from former managing director Derek Llambias how well the business was doing.

Since then, Newcastle have announced their biggest shirt sponsorship deal with Wonga and benefited from a new lucrative Premier League television deal, but none of that money appears to have gone back into improving the team.

Although Ashley has been accused of not wanting to spend, Telegraph Sport understands there was money available, but there was often a lack of agreement between Kinnear, Pardew and chief scout Graham Carr about how best to use it. When the trio did agree on targets, Kinnear failed to make the deals happen.

Lyon striker Bafétimbi Gomis, Lille’s Florian Thauvin, Chelsea’s Demba Ba, Norwich City’s Anthony Pilkington, Blackpool’s Thomas Ince and Wigan’s James McCarthy were all targeted, but none signed.

Its as if:

Transfer fees + Agent fees + Wages for entire contract

Must equal

Only the fees received for players sold

Otherwise we're risking financial ruin.

By omission, we're told to forget forget: Wages saved on players sold, merchandising, sponsorship, prize money, gate receipts, TV money and f*** knows what else.

It's not "smoke and mirrors" as r0cafella so generously put it, its horseshit. Good old-fashioned horseshit. And it's being forced down our mouths at every turn, yet some still seem keen to say that it doesn't really taste that bad, and since Uncle Mike is cooking dinner he can cook whatever he wants because he's paying for it, and on that basis they'd like another serving.

There really is no helping some people.

Its as if:

Transfer fees + Agent fees + Wages for entire contract

Must equal

Only the fees received for players sold

Otherwise we're risking financial ruin.

By omission, we're told to forget forget: Wages saved on players sold, merchandising, sponsorship, prize money, gate receipts, TV money and f*** knows what else.

It's not "smoke and mirrors" as r0cafella so generously put it, its horseshit. Good old-fashioned horseshit. And it's being forced down our mouths at every turn, yet some still seem keen to say that it doesn't really taste that bad, and since Uncle Mike is cooking dinner he can cook whatever he wants because he's paying for it, and on that basis they'd like another serving.

There really is no helping some people.

Agree Chris they will wheel out the mike saved us from run quote soon enough

I don't think that Newcastle fans are furious at what's happening. The minority, but majority on here, are resigned to the situation and have been for a long time now, and the majority that go to the matches every week, are living in some kind of heroin addled state of confusion where the piss taking smells of champagne.

I don't think that Newcastle fans are furious at what's happening. The minority, but majority on here, are resigned to the situation and have been for a long time now, and the majority that go to the matches every week, are living in some kind of heroin addled state of confusion where the p*ss taking smells of champagne.

I've actively stopped supporting Newcastle United until we become a football club again. Up Los Liones!

The January signings thing is a complete joke.

They ignore the fact we only brought Anita the previous summer. They also ignore Demba Ba fee we received and removed wages + other players who left that summer. They ignore the fact Debuchy should have been a summer signing. They pretend like we don't know the transfer fees for Gouffran and Sissoko were minimal. They add together transfer fee +agent fees+signing on fees+wages for all players.

Imagine if all other clubs added in wages to transfer fees for every deal they do. Ridiculous.

I see no harm in adding them on, they are costs when all said and done.

But you've got to fucking take them back off again when you sell half a dozen too. And you have to actually acknowledge that we're raking in countless millions through TV money, prize money and gate receipts so balancing costs of players in Vs players out isn't necessary to turn a profit.

It's the "Have my cake and eat it" mentality. They think we're idiots. Though given that nearly 50,000 rock up every fortnight in replica shirts and barely say a peep in protest, they've probably got a point.

We aren't in major trouble like people make out. We've had a good start to the season and our players are starting to come together and get fit.

i admire your optimism Brett, but we've really not had a good start to the season in actual fact...it's been bang average at best but yes, has some signs that the football has improved a little

obviously i'm one of the ultra-negative crowd but after the window fiasco this season is literally a couple of pardew brainfarts away from slipping into disaster a la 2008 again...i think villa will do us, hull looks winnable i guess but you have to fear both the everton and cardiff (!) games...we're just not that good at the moment

reckon we'll be lucky to see 10 points from 21 in our "easy" start to the season and then head into a shit run of tricky games

i'd say things are on a knife-edge just now, how he approaches villa will tell us a lot

That's the beauty of January signings......they apply to both the summer before and the summer to come.  They can be applied to either's spending tally without any firm definition. They were either to make up for last summer or brought forward from this summer or both or neither.

Apply as needed for the current discussion at hand.

Pards isn't going to come out and say. "Hey guys! We're f***ed! "  :lol:

this, pure pr tripe to be ignored

It wouldn't have to be ignored if he kept his mouth shut, he deserves all of the stick he gets and any stick he gets is self inflicted.

Pards isn't going to come out and say. "Hey guys! We're fucked! "  :lol:

No he isn't, but he should have said fuck all and if pressed, deferred all transfer related questions to "Joe" (as he mostly did all summer)

That would hve been his best "out" in this situation IMO.

If Pardew doesn't get top 8 he has to go at the end of the season, this squad should be aiming to achieve that. If we are 11th-10th in January give him some money and get us to push us up there. If it doesn't work just part ways and get in a new manager who can get the best out of our current crop of players.

Sure I'm upset that we didn't spend any money in the transfer window but at the same time I can look at our squad and say well there was probably only two positions that needed players in immediately but we have players who also need to be given a chance in those positions before we go on and bring in replacements.

Gouffran and Cisse will work as a partnership if Pardew is good enough to explain to the players how to make it work. If he can't well then its only more of a reason to replace him.

There is a lot of sense not overpaying this window, once again there will be value in January, we have to buy players for value we can't go out and compete with anyone in this league and that includes southampton/norwich/swansea the reason being we wont offer silly money to beat another team, we want players to actually come here. I know its difficult for players to want to come to this club when the club fails to show true ambition. But the only way you will get success in this environment is continual astuteness in the market or be bank rolled by a sheikh.

Getting one of those monster players on loan that everyone was preaching moses/sinclair/lukaku was an absolute waste of money, it was a 3 million upfront, no buyout option and you had to pay their full CL wages. There is absolute no sense in Newcastle touching any of those players.

Of all the clubs that got value in the transfer window the Remy transfer (if it includes a reasonable buyout option and we aren't paying his full wages) the Eriksen (out of contract) were the only true bargain transfers of the window. The new PL money just over inflated the entirety of the market. If the Gomis transfer stories are to be believed I can see why NUFC were hesitant in splashing the cash.

If our January business + Remy had been our summer business everyone would be saying how magical we were considering what everyone else over paid for during this last window. We have to make our dollars go further then every other club because we want to compete at a higher level then mid table mediocrity. I'm sure if Eriksen wanted to come here we would of stumped up the cash to pay for this move.

At least in January we can either look forward to seeing a new manager come in or a new player or two. I hope to see a new player as it would mean we are pushing upwards and onward however if its a new manager it better be the best person available not the cheapest. That's the point in which I would truly lose my shit with this club not at a transfer window in which almost every player sale has been inflated.