Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

is there a way we can shoehorn in some playoffs? maybe divide each team into two 5-a-sides and have the four teams play each other in a first goal wins format? the first two games could even run simultaneously on the same pitch for added fan excitement and sponsorship opportunity. If the two winning sides are from the same team the final doesn't have to be played.

Haha, dickhead.

John Swift was left out of Brentford's matchday squad for Saturday’s Championship game against Blackburn Rovers over a controversial post on social media.

The on-loan Chelsea midfielder, who was named in the England U21 squad this week, received a backlash from Bees supporters on Friday night after commenting on an Instagram post by UFC fighter Conor McGregor.

McGregor's post read: "Some days they love you. Some days they hate you. Both days I got paid."

And Swift replied on the eve of Brentford's 1-0 defeat at home to Blackburn by stating: "What a guy."

That appears to have been interpreted as a criticism of Brentford supporters but he insisted that was not the case in a subsequent post.

He wrote: "The last post wasn't a dig at the Brentford fans at all, I apologise."

However, the 20-year-old was still told he was dropped from the squad at the team hotel on the morning of the game.

Brentford boss Dean Smith said: "John wasn't in the team anyway but he posted something on social media that I was made aware of.

"I spoke to him this morning and I just didn't think it was right to put him on the bench today.

"He explained it when he took it down and apologised. I don't think there was any malice in it, but it was naive from a young lad.

"Sometimes I don't think they realise how many people it goes out to once they press the enter key, such is social media.

"He'll go on international duty now with England U21s, which we're pleased about, but we'll speak to him." 

Seems a bit harsh

I'm not so sure. I think it's time we adopted the Spanish model of B teams competing against first teams in the lower leagues and this is obviously a step in that direction. Allows the bigger clubs a bit of an advantage, unfortunately, but it's certainly the best thing for the international setup and probably the domestic aspect of our game in the long run.

I'm not so sure. I think it's time we adopted the Spanish model of B teams competing against first teams in the lower leagues and this is obviously a step in that direction. Allows the bigger clubs a bit of an advantage, unfortunately, but it's certainly the best thing for the international setup and probably the domestic aspect of our game in the long run.

How?

If it allows the big clubs an advantage then hat means they are a step up above the other clubs. If that's so then how does it help develope the u21's?

Just let the smaller clubs have their competitions and leagues to themselves and come out with a proper plan of how to develope the academies.

I can understand the argument that it's a strategy that could help improve the national team, but how would it benefit the domestic league? It would serve only to benefit the top sides.

I can understand the argument that it's a strategy that could help improve the national team, but how would it benefit the domestic league? It would serve only to benefit the top sides.

Let's be honest though, the majority of the country only really care about the top league now anyway. It's sad but the reality is not all different to the other top European leagues tbh.

Let's be honest though, the majority of the country only really care about the top league now anyway. It's sad but the reality is not all different to the other top European leagues tbh.

Frightening how wrong this is like. Staggeringly so.

What does "the majority of the country" even mean?

Is that even remotely true? Most have at least an interest in the Premier League, sure, but everyone has their own team, many of whoms is in the Football League/lower.

The idea that its the B-teams that are behind the success of the Spanish national side and not the vastly greater number of coaches and superior youth development is beyond ridiculous.

It's a contributing factor to Spain's success, and it obviously includes youth development. Young players learn far too little from reserve/U-21 fixtures. They need to be playing against men sooner, learning to play at that pace and intensity.

Is that even remotely true? Most have at least an interest in the Premier League, sure, but everyone has their own team, many of whoms is in the Football League/lower.

Half the Premier League is made up of historically small clubs like Bournemouth, Leicester, Palace, Stoke, Norwich, Swansea and Watford now anyway. Recently graced by Hull, Reading and Wigan ffs. Even moreso next year when Villa, us and/or the mackems have gone.

Many of English football's real powerhouse clubs with gigantic followings are outside the top flight and have been for some time. "The majority of the country" - aye I bet hundreds of thousands of Leeds United fans are fascinated by events at Bournemouth. Sounds like someone who has absolutely no interest in the lower leagues and just assumes everyone else is the same.

Barcelona loan out their decent youngsters because the B team doesn't cut it. Germany and Holland introduced it to the disaster of their lower league system for no observable or measurable gain whatsoever.

Spain introduced the B teams in the early 70s and were the laughing stock of European football until 2008, so it should make us a dead cert for the 2060 World Cup.