Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

ITV4 10pm - Andy Cole - Sports Life Stories!

No doubt it'll all be about his time at Man Utd!

Was interesting when his wife was saying their time up in Newcastle was a nightmare.  Could see what she was getting at but unfortunately it was probably edited so that no positives were put across.  Can imagine it must have been difficult for them leaving the house like, everyone was mad about him.

Away tickets for Liverpool (a match moved to Monday night by Sky) are £52. :lol:

f***ing robbing c***s.

Noticed those prices today as I was buying a ticket for a friend for Everton away for £20! Unreal the difference :lol:

Was interesting when his wife was saying their time up in Newcastle was a nightmare.  Could see what she was getting at but unfortunately it was probably edited so that no positives were put across.  Can imagine it must have been difficult for them leaving the house like, everyone was mad about him.

Yeah mate, plus Newcastle wasn't anywhere near as multi-cultural as it is now so he would have really stood out! I enjoyed it - his record is for some reason very under-rated! 68 in 84 for us alone - unreal!

Yeah mate, plus Newcastle wasn't anywhere near as multi-cultural as it is now so he would have really stood out! I enjoyed it - his record is for some reason very under-rated! 68 in 84 for us alone - unreal!

She said that they'd go to the supermarket for groceries and get out 2 hours later with no groceries, having just signed autographs the whole time.

The documentary itself is really worth a watch, it makes you think that Cole isn't held in quite the same regard as other good/great English strikers of the time because of his withdrawn personality, and I think they've got a point there to be honest.  The guy was a superb goalscorer, second probably only to Shearer in the Premier League in terms of English strikers, but he rarely gets a mention these days.  Some of his link-up play with Yorke on the documentary was a joy to watch.

Guest Howaythetoon

Enjoyed that, and Cole was actually very underrated as a player. He wasn't just a finisher or a fox in the box, he was a very good all-rounder. He was electric for us, absolutely unstoppable and unplayable. A machine. He was my first football hero and when we sold him I was gutted.

Read in the Keegan book that he called Man Utd to ask about Gillespie and that was when Fergie suggested selling Cole as part of the deal. Big move to go for that like, Keegan's confidence was mad. Guess he also knew he would be backed to sign a replacement.

Guest Howaythetoon

Really pisses me off how little Cole acknowledges his time with us and what the likes of Keegan and Beardsley did for him.

He's said in the past that he loved his football up here but didn't feel comfortable with the adulation and was homesick etc. To be fair, he hardly talks about his career full stop. Even the documentary he talked more about his family, past and his attitude etc.

Really pisses me off how little Cole acknowledges his time with us and what the likes of Keegan and Beardsley did for him.

He's said in the past that he loved his football up here but didn't feel comfortable with the adulation and was homesick etc. To be fair, he hardly talks about his career full stop. Even the documentary he talked more about his family, past and his attitude etc.

He's more than happy to talk about his time at Man Utd and how great him and his pal Dwight were together...

I can't believe that Cole only scored one international goal. Even with competition from Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Owen etc, he shouldve had more.

IIRC Keegan gave him a run of starts and he went 9 or 10 games without scoring.

Read in the Keegan book that he called Man Utd to ask about Gillespie and that was when Fergie suggested selling Cole as part of the deal. Big move to go for that like, Keegan's confidence was mad. Guess he also knew he would be backed to sign a replacement.

If you watch that documentary it seemed like it was inevitable and Keegan was simply maximising the amount of money we could get.  The 2 had fallen out.

Cole said later on that Ferguson was the only manager that understood him, understanding him meaning he was quiet and stroppy but fundamentally wanted to score goals.

He's more than happy to talk about his time at Man Utd and how great him and his pal Dwight were together...

I agree with you here Tooj tbh, he hasn't really said much positive about us considering how we launched his career.

If you watch that documentary it seemed like it was inevitable and Keegan was simply maximising the amount of money we could get.  The 2 had fallen out.

Cole said later on that Ferguson was the only manager that understood him, understanding him meaning he was quiet and stroppy but fundamentally wanted to score goals.

Ah interesting, there's nothing in the book about a falling out. I did find it bizarre that Keegan agreed.

Guest firetotheworks

I agree with you here Tooj tbh, he hasn't really said much positive about us considering how we launched his career.

We were still his peak imo. No one was as good for him as Beardsley was, Yorke was nothing compared to Pedro. i seem to remember saying that Cole had Beardsley and Cole as the two best players he had alongside him. Linekar has Beardsley as the best player he played alongside as well.