Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

I went to Rangers v Livingston last weekend and realised what football is all about. I know people don't like Rangers but the atmosphere in Louden Tavern before and after the game was something we don't see near SJP anymore. About 200 Rangers fans singing both recent songs and songs about their history.

As the players walked out the tunnel, I found myself underneath a huge banner with a picture of Lee Wallace and the word CAPTAIN. The atmosphere within the ground was superb - it reminded me of the early to mid 2000s at SJP where everyone was behind the team.

What summed it up for me was the bloke standing next to me who must have been mid 80s. He asked me about Newcastle and then pointed to the Sports Direct signs within the ground and said "that's what's wrong with our clubs". I couldn't disagree, we talked about Ashley for 10 minutes and not a good word was said. I had to tell him that I was in awe of the Gers fans who forced him out.

In a total difference to the old man sitting next to me, there was a boy of around 10 year old 2 rows in front. He stood on his seat throughout the whole game and sang every song. When the song died out half way through he carried it on till the end. I actually thought to myself, "this is what football is all about" - an old passionate bloke who still cares and a young kid who has it all to come.

Are we the only club who don't have stalls around the ground selling knock off merchandise? In all my time following NUFC away from home I've always seen these stalls and it was the same last week. The scarf sellers, the badge sellers and there was even an old woman selling bags of sweets that you'd only see at a community centre fund raiser around here.

I'll be back in February for Rangers v St Mirren but for now, this was what football is all about for me. Thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Absolutely loved my trip to watch Rangers v St Mirren at the weekend. Another brilliant trip to see a wonderful football club. I got back yesterday and, such was my enjoyment at going to see live football again without hating the club in front of me, I've booked up to go again next weekend for Dundee cup tie, and the week after for the Friday night game vs Morton. 3 weekends in a row going to see the most successful club in football history  :smitten:

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/world-football/europe/18958-olympiacos-in-suspicious-europa-league-win-as-rtl-ask-the-marinakis-question#.VtS8kclS6nY.twitter

February 29 - The Northern Irish referee Arnold Hunter has been drawn in to the match-fixing scandal surrounding Olympiacos over his performance in Anderlecht's 2-1 Europa League win over the Greek champions last Thursday night.

Hunter gave a penalty to Olympiacos for handball in the 27th minute, giving them their only goal of the game, even though the Anderlecht centre-half Kara Mbodj had very clearly controlled the ball with his knee and his head.

News highlights of the match on the French-language Belgian channel RTL, broadcast on Friday, were introduced with a criticism from the presenter. "The Mauves were apparently the victims of several refereeing mistakes," he said. The clip was introduced on the RTL website with the headline "They scandalised you: here are the enormous refereeing mistakes during the Anderlecht-Olympiacos match (video)".

In the clip the sports reporter added: "The Mauves' nightmare was called 'Arnold Hunter'. From the kick-off the Irish referee took several decisions that were contested by the players. The heaviest consequence [was when he gave] a penalty for a handball by Mbodj. Except in slow motion you can see the player control the ball with his head."

The highlights also made clear two separate incidents that involved potential red-card offences by Olympiacos players for which Hunter only issued yellow cards. The first of these was after only five minutes, when the last defender upended Frank Acheampong when he was clean through on goal.

The second incident involved a very heavy challenge on Filip Djuricic, again by the last Olympiacos defender with the Anderlecht player charging in on goal.

During the match commentary, lead commentator Marc Delire was succinct about the impression the refereeing errors left him with. "After so many mistakes, one after another, I think we can put Mr Hunter's integrity in doubt," said the commentator. Anderlecht went on to win the match in extra time to qualify for the round of 16. Olympiacos went on to secure their sixth consecutive Greek Super League title at the weekend.

Hunter is Northern Ireland's first-category FIFA referee and Insideworldfootball contacted the Irish Football Association's communications director, Neil Brittain, on Monday with a request for a statement on the Belgian allegations. He did not respond.

"Let's not forget either that we are in Mr Evangelos Marinakis's den," added Delire. 
"The Olympiacos president is all the same on bail and is accused of corruption and of having bought four Greek championships. In short, there is no smoke without fire."

A criminal investigation in Athens has accused Marinakis of being the ringleader in an alleged match-fixing ring that locals say has held Greek football in its grip for years

You can find certain moving picture evidence of the suspicious ref on Matt Scott's twitter feed

Those are mental ref decisions, if not bent that's abysmally incompetant. But I bet it's bent.