Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

It's not as if the next Gascoigne is stuck on a bench somewhere because Johnny Foreigner is taking his place.

We were awful before the influx of foreign players

Really disagree with these 2 bits, bro, but I can't be bothered to elaborate  :embarrassed:

I don't think it's anything to do with the influx of foreigners at all, there is simply a dearth of English talent. We employ the smallest number of coaches compared to your Spain's and your Germany's, and the lack of English players is symptomatic of coaching in this country.

If an English player was good enough, he'd be starting. If he's better than his foreign counterpart he will be bought. Wilshire has done okay, Carroll?  It's not as if the next Gascoigne is stuck on a bench somewhere because Johnny Foreigner is taking his place. If anything I'm glad out players are playing alongside the best foreign talent.

The problem lies in infrastructure and outdated coaching methods, not recruitment

How's he meant to be "good enough" at 17 man, and better than Player X who's 26 and been playing in Ligue 1 regularly for 8 years and is available for £3m? Howay.

That's completely hypothetical. 1) and academy player would be cheaper and negate the need to but a replacement. 2) good enough is old enough it's really that simple. We were awful before the influx of foreign players, we are exactly the same now. It's the coaching not the foreigners.

Gerard was in the Liverpool team when he was 18? Also it's entirely unfair to compare a 26 year old player with a 17 year old kid regardless of nationality.

So f*** that Stephen Gerrard was in the Liverpool team when he was 18? How is one example proof of anything? You mention Carroll - the only reason that bloke is anywhere today is because we went down and he had the opportunity to develop by playing first team football. If we'd stayed up, he certainly wouldn't have got a look in - he barely even got one in the first half of the Championship season because he looked a bit s**** until a few months in and we brought in Marlon Harewood to play instead. If we'd stayed up, we'd have bought someone else and he would have drifted down the leagues, and maybe worked his way back up like Danny Graham did when he couldn't get a kick at Middlesbrough.

I'm not really sure what to say if you think football doesn't help footballers develop. The game is littered with players who've played 300 games before they're any good at all. Didier Drogba was rattling around in Ligue 2 until he was about 24 - by your logic, he should have been the same Drogba at 16 as he would go on to be at 25 when Marseille bought him.

Literally not once said that, your cherry picking what you want to hear to support your own argument. I used one example to prove the point that "good enough is old enough".  You've completely and utterly missed the point and pretty much everything you've set out in your response, I didn't say. I never once said playing football doesn't help you, I never once suggested that a player would be the same at 16 as he was at 25, though he was a slightly late developer.

I contended that it is wholly incorrect to suggest that our importing of foreign talent if f*** all to with the lack of English talent. We are s***, we were s*** before, it means nothing. People must think there is the English Zidane sitting on a bench somewhere but he can't get a game because a 2m player from Porto is ahead of him.

You're using examples like Zidane to create a ridiculous hyperbole. Of course there are young English players at every club who can't get a game because it's easier, cheaper and less risky to buy a foreign ready-made replacement.

I pointed to it in the England thread, but what's stopping English players going to France, Spain, Portugal, etc. and getting football over there?

Mentality.

Football coach shortage paints bleak picture for England's future

• Only 2,769 English coaches hold Uefa's B, A and Pro badges

• Spain has 23,995, Italy 29,420 and Germany 34,790

This, right here is the problem.

Of course it is, when you have people like Southgate and Pearce coaching your kids its obviously a problem.

But i wouldn't say its the only problem, English football is rotten to the core and there really isn't one big problem you can pin point there is many.

Even if the FA have suddenly realised what the issues are and fix them asap it will take a very long time to see any results.

10 years minimum i'd say.

It's not as if the next Gascoigne is stuck on a bench somewhere because Johnny Foreigner is taking his place.

We were awful before the influx of foreign players

Really disagree with these 2 bits, bro, but I can't be bothered to elaborate  :embarrassed:

When have England had a winning national team? 66 aside? We have always been around the same level. Please feel free to point this side out tough :thup:

Cheers for disagreeing and not giving and reasons why not :thup:

Just because we haven't won anything doesn't mean our players were "awful" :lol: There's so much more to winning a World Cup than just talent.

I could name 20 players off the top of my head who were genuinely, undeniably brilliant and were around before "the foreign influx".

I don't think it's anything to do with the influx of foreigners at all, there is simply a dearth of English talent. We employ the smallest number of coaches compared to your Spain's and your Germany's, and the lack of English players is symptomatic of coaching in this country.

If an English player was good enough, he'd be starting. If he's better than his foreign counterpart he will be bought. Wilshire has done okay, Carroll?  It's not as if the next Gascoigne is stuck on a bench somewhere because Johnny Foreigner is taking his place. If anything I'm glad out players are playing alongside the best foreign talent.

The problem lies in infrastructure and outdated coaching methods, not recruitment

How's he meant to be "good enough" at 17 man, and better than Player X who's 26 and been playing in Ligue 1 regularly for 8 years and is available for £3m? Howay.

That's completely hypothetical. 1) and academy player would be cheaper and negate the need to but a replacement. 2) good enough is old enough it's really that simple. We were awful before the influx of foreign players, we are exactly the same now. It's the coaching not the foreigners.

Gerard was in the Liverpool team when he was 18? Also it's entirely unfair to compare a 26 year old player with a 17 year old kid regardless of nationality.

So f*** that Stephen Gerrard was in the Liverpool team when he was 18? How is one example proof of anything? You mention Carroll - the only reason that bloke is anywhere today is because we went down and he had the opportunity to develop by playing first team football. If we'd stayed up, he certainly wouldn't have got a look in - he barely even got one in the first half of the Championship season because he looked a bit s**** until a few months in and we brought in Marlon Harewood to play instead. If we'd stayed up, we'd have bought someone else and he would have drifted down the leagues, and maybe worked his way back up like Danny Graham did when he couldn't get a kick at Middlesbrough.

I'm not really sure what to say if you think football doesn't help footballers develop. The game is littered with players who've played 300 games before they're any good at all. Didier Drogba was rattling around in Ligue 2 until he was about 24 - by your logic, he should have been the same Drogba at 16 as he would go on to be at 25 when Marseille bought him.

Literally not once said that, your cherry picking what you want to hear to support your own argument. I used one example to prove the point that "good enough is old enough".  You've completely and utterly missed the point and pretty much everything you've set out in your response, I didn't say. I never once said playing football doesn't help you, I never once suggested that a player would be the same at 16 as he was at 25, though he was a slightly late developer.

I contended that it is wholly incorrect to suggest that our importing of foreign talent if f*** all to with the lack of English talent. We are s***, we were s*** before, it means nothing. People must think there is the English Zidane sitting on a bench somewhere but he can't get a game because a 2m player from Porto is ahead of him.

You're using examples like Zidane to create a ridiculous hyperbole. Of course there are young English players at every club who can't get a game because it's easier, cheaper and less risky to buy a foreign ready-made replacement.

Are there? Care to name any of them?  It's impossible to say that with any certainty at all, the better players make it, the lesser players don't. When the league was predominantly English we were equally as shit as we are now .

I'm not particularly au fait with the youth systems of other teams but we've got several players who've been doing nothing but playing reserve football for five years and now look ill equipped to deal with the Premier League.

Are there? Care to name any of them?  It's impossible to say that with any certainty at all, the better players make it, the lesser players don't. When the league was predominantly English we were equally as shit as we are now .

I'm not particularly au fait with the youth systems of other teams but we've got several players who've been doing nothing but playing reserve football for five years and now look ill equipped to deal with the Premier League.

Hate to agree with Wullie, but he's right here.

It's not about having a Zidane sitting on the bench somewhere, it's about giving players the games they need to get up to standard. Being patient with them instead of buying a cheap import who is already ready.

Are there? Care to name any of them?  It's impossible to say that with any certainty at all, the better players make it, the lesser players don't. When the league was predominantly English we were equally as s*** as we are now .

It's not about having a Zidane sitting on the bench somewhere, it's about giving players the games they need to get up to standard. Being patient with them instead of buying a cheap import who is already ready.

And you're sure if they get that game time they will be up to that standard? I really don't think that happens as much as you think it does. I hate to repeat myself but the coaches who see

them every day, wouldn't recognise the talent, that they would make the first team? It's cheaper after all. The best players get fasttracked. Wenger gets hammered for playing Wilshire too much, to the detriment of England. Rooney was banging in goals at 17.

Remember Josh Mcechran? Everyone was crying out for him to play, he was the next big thing, went to boro and looked average at best.

Not every kid is going to turn good, but neither is every import. It just seems much more acceptable to give a foreigner a season to adjust than it is to give a kid a season to work his way into a team.

There's no good argument for not giving the young English players a chance other than needing results NOW. TODAY.

You can't say for sure that you're fielding a Dan Gosling or Wilshire until you give them the games.

Players typically do get better the more you play them. Walcott, Lennon, Bale, Henderson... they were below par, then average, now they're turning into very good players. It takes time and desire to bring the kids along.

Are there? Care to name any of them?  It's impossible to say that with any certainty at all, the better players make it, the lesser players don't. When the league was predominantly English we were equally as s*** as we are now .

And you're sure if they get that game time they will be up to that standard?

No. That's the point. Football's partly a game of risk and Premier League clubs don't want to take it when they've got enough money to go abroad and get someone with more experience.

It's not even about English vs foreign really - coming to our academy was the worst thing Kadar and Vuckic ever did. They'd have been far better off staying in their native countries or the Bundesliga and playing games at 18, instead of getting to 21 with half a dozen League Cup appearances between them.

And you're sure if they get that game time they will be up to that standard?

No. That's the point. Football's partly a game of risk and Premier League clubs don't want to take it when they've got enough money to go abroad and get someone with more experience.

It's not even about English vs foreign really - coming to our academy was the worst thing Kadar and Vuckic ever did. They'd have been far better off staying in their native countries or the Bundesliga and playing games at 18, instead of getting to 21 with half a dozen League Cup appearances between them.

I can agree on that. Our academy's need a change as well, you are right. They would have been far better off away from here. There are some very well run academies though, Southampton seems to constantly produce.

I feel like ours is particularly bad tbh

Based purely on what it has produced, ours is fucking dross.

Southampton's has flourished whilst they've been out of the top flight, destitute and able to give Bale, Walcott, Ox regular games at 16 years old. Give them five years in the Premier League and you'll see their flow has suddenly dried up very quickly as their kids stagnate playing against other kids for an extra two or three years before even being considered for selection.

There are two different scenarios of foreigners here. One is that English youngsters are being replaced by foreign youngsters, the other is that English youngsters are being replaced by foreign players (at peak age for example).

The first is very simple. They simply are not good enough and changes are needed at grass roots level. Forcing clubs to play them will just reduce the quality of the league. They should be sold to, or loaned to, clubs further down the ladder to gain first team experience.

The other is common sense really. Mature players are better than young players on the whole. They still require first team experience, but no club will play any youngster over a quality player at peak age, with some special exceptions. Again should be loaned out.

No club should be forced to play any player simply because of their nationality. If our youngsters are not good enough to compete with foreign youngsters then it shows a serious issue with grass roots football in this country.

I disagree fundamentally with your statement in bold because, simply put, players improve by playing senior football. That's inarguable, and they're not getting those opportunities to develop because of how easy and cheap it is to buy a player from Europe.

That does not contradict my statement. I agree with you that giving them first team experience will improve those players, but it will not improve the quality of players that we as a country produce. You have to ask why is it so easy to replace our kids with foreign kids? Simply put its because as a nation we do not produce footballers of high quality in big enough numbers.

Unfortunately that'll mean more Michael Owen on screen, although I tend to skip the punditry on MOTD anyway. They really need to introduce some interesting statistical analysis like cricket does so well imo.

Manchester United: Nani signs new five-year contract

Manchester United winger Nani has signed a new five-year deal, keeping him at the club until June 2018.

Nani, 26, has scored 40 goals in 217 games  since joining the Premier League champions from Sporting Lisbon in 2007.

During his six-year stay, he has won eight trophies, including four Premier League titles and the Champions League.

He said: "Playing at United has been a fantastic experience for me. When I came to the club, I never imagined the success we have enjoyed."

Genuinely random. What's he done to earn that? :lol: