Premier League survival or FA Cup?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Our chances of winning anything while in the lower leagues are much harder.

They haven't improved much since being in the PL either.

Of course they have man. :lol: We've players that are much better quality than teams in the lower leagues. If we had a manager of much better quality than lower league managers who actually wanted to win a cup we might actually do well, but to say our chances are no better than lower league teams is just stupid.

Another way to look at it: winning the FA Cup would not be enough to overcome the horrendous bitching and moaning that would occupy this forum upon relegation.

This place was great in Championship.

Was it rainbows and butterflies after the Villa game, or the three months after?

Once the season started, everyone had something to fight for.

There is no point in being 17th every year. If Wigan had stayed up they'd most likely be around relegation again. At least the cup is something you can look back on with pride

Might be because the forum has seen record levels of animosity/point scoring this season my judgement has been clouded but iirc the forum was generally group hugs and "fuck it, at least we will win some games now" when we went down and during the championship season.

There wasn't a manager in place long enough for people to really argue about which probably helped mind :lol:

The Championship season was simple, we were winning games and after a while knew we were coming back up so everyone was happy. I think people might look to that season and think yeah sure I'll take another season of that and the FA Cup, but there are no guarantees that another Championship season would go so smoothly.

The Championship season was simple, we were winning games and after a while knew we were coming back up so everyone was happy. I think people might look to that season and think yeah sure I'll take another season of that and the FA Cup, but there are no guarantees that another Championship season would go so smoothly.

In fairness, that's a good point. You were lucky when you went down in that you shifted a load of utter dross, and managed to keep the nucleus of a good side, and therefore come back again.

I voted for survival, knowing that it's a sad consequence of the modern game. But with money as it is, relegation brings gloom that far outweighs the glory day of winning the cup. We got lucky with our relegation but Leeds, Forest etc haven't been so lucky. Long term, survival is the answer and I'm a long term guy.

Let me phrase it another way....Would you rather:

Have stayed in the Premier League in 2009?

or

Take the relegation in 2009 but have won the FA Cup right before we dropped?

So basically, Premier League survival or FA Cup?

For what it's worth, survival would always be the most important IMO.

As an aside, albeit it's probably already been discussed, I don't like the idea that winning the FA Cup has been a massive distraction in Wigan staying up, and is in some way to "blame" for them going down. Tonight could be an isolated example where sheer fitness levels were impacted, but the reason Wigan went down is because they've been too bad for too long.

Playing in the (arguably) greatest league in the world is much more important than winning the FA cup that is increasingly losing stock. Still would be nice to win it, but the effect of relegation again would be devastating I fear.

It's a matter of long term vs short term thinking imo.

Winning a cup but going down is a big risk. There is simply no guarantee we would bounce right back up. As much as it would have been great to have seen us win the cup this year. 20-30 years from now it might have been nothing more than another Birmingham or Wigan, winning a cup and going down to be left in the mess that is the Championship.

Whereas by staying up, we guarantee the best chance for us to improve the side. Which if done right may some day result in us winning a cup without any risk of going down. And heck who knows what the future holds, part of the excitement that comes from watching Newcastle comes with not knowing what is to come. We could finish anywhere from 4th (which we could have done last season with some luck) to 18th (which almost happened this season). We know that at its best this club can compete at the very top of this league. Sacrificing that just isn't worth it to me.

PL survival has become way too important. Sounds boring, but that's the state of the game.

Now if the FA Cup came with auto CL qualification and the money/prestige that goes with it then it would probably make relegation easier to deal with. Top players would stay, finances wouldn't be wrecked, etc.

Let me phrase it another way....Would you rather:

Have stayed in the Premier League in 2009?

or

Take the relegation in 2009 but have won the FA Cup right before we dropped?

You're saying that comfortable in the knowledge that we got straight back up and are ok now, who wouldn't go back and throw in an FA Cup as well? The fact is not every relegation goes as smoothly as ours last time. We'd be relying on players like Cabaye doing what the likes of Nolan did last time around, and can we realistically expect players like that to stay?

The instrumental players we had last time have all either left us since, will possibly be leaving us this summer (Colo) and have simply got worse since (Jonas), so if it happens again it'll be completely different. I think a lot of fans are underestimating just how bad a relegation can be because of our season in the Championship a few years ago.

:thup: Good point, well made.

I would still probably take a cup - as you can come back from relegation, but Cup wins can't be expunged from the books. No reason not to have both though despite the Wigan and Brum examples.