Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Williamson wins a higher % of aerial duels than Colo.

It's interesting whether there's any stats on this. Williamson for all his height (6'4"!) is weak as piss and we have seen relative midgets get the better of him in the air.

I suspect it's not as simple as it seems.

Williamson wins a higher % of aerial duels than Colo. So does Taylor. It's only "good enough" if his partner is very good. Colo is average to poor in the air. Same thing with pace - Colo's slow. same thing with strength - he's weak. But his brain, composure, feet and reading of the game are great. His partner needs to be physically strong and good in the air.

Well obviously we disagree.  I don't think either Williamson or Taylor are very good in the air and I don't think Coloccini is that poor either.  Coloccini plays a certain role in defence which usually means dropping off, anticipating problems and snuffing them out.  To allow Coloccini to do that we have Taylor as the defender attacking the ball, same with Williamson when he's played their.  He goes for more headers so he's going to win more but I'd be interested to see this stat on percentage of headers won with Williamson and Coloccini.

Like I said he's not the best their and can be slightly week even but mainly we have someone next to him attacking the ball to allow him to drop back and cover the problems caused by the likes of Taylor when the balls on the ground.  I don't think that means it can't work any other way, not if you have a better all round defender than Taylor next to him.  Right now I agree Yanga-Mbiwa isn't right for that, but once he's up to speed he might be.  I just don't accept that he's weak and shit in the air based on half a season in and out of the side.

He has to cover because he's not very good at attacking it.

QPR Aerial duels:

Colo - 1/3

Willo - 6/9

Fulham Aerial duels:

Mapou - 2/5

Saylor 4/6

But these are just individual games. You look at whoscored.com it wil tell ya players strengths/weaknesses due to stats:

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/2859/Show/Fabricio-Coloccini

I don't think Mapou is particularly weak/weak in the air but he's not particularly strong there yet. He's still young, so long as he gets games, even at full back - he will develop and adapt to the league. Colo caught up and so willl Mapou. But I think he and Colo are too similar. Mapou relying on his pace, Colo his brain - neither their bodies to jump or use strength.

Williamson wins a higher % of aerial duels than Colo.

It's interesting whether there's any stats on this. Williamson for all his height (6'4"!) is weak as piss and we have seen relative midgets get the better of him in the air.

I suspect it's not as simple as it seems.

Didn't N'Zogbia beat him in the air? Assuming i didn't imagine that he should have announced his retirement that day.

He has to cover because he's not very good at attacking it.

QPR Aerial duels:

Colo - 1/3

Willo - 6/9

Fulham Aerial duels:

Mapou - 2/5

Saylor 4/6

But these are just individual games. You look at whoscored.com it wil tell ya players strengths/weaknesses due to stats:

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/2859/Show/Fabricio-Coloccini

I don't think Mapou is particularly weak/weak in the air but he's not particularly strong there yet. He's still young, so long as he gets games, even at full back - he will develop and adapt to the league. Colo caught up and so willl Mapou. But I think he and Colo are too similar. Mapou relying on his pace, Colo his brain - neither their bodies to jump or use strength.

He covers because he's excellent at it, ask Taylor to drop back, watch the game and intercept/mop up potential threats and see what happens.  Does that site have the stats for the number of headers won vs lost for each player over the season listed somewhere?, that's really what I'd like to see.  I'll have a look later like but I'm busy and I thought you might know where it is.

We agree that Yanga-Mbiwa isn't necessarily weak anyway, which was my main point initially.  We'll see more after he's bedded in if him and Coloccini can play together.

Colo's pretty wank in the air, though. Wouldn't be surprised at all with that.

Knows when to not go and challenge for it though to make up for it.

You're having a laugh, man. Santon's never come close to Haidara's 'performance' against Liverpool in his 2 years here. He's not a great defender but he's generally decent.

Debatable, his performance at the Emirates was laughable.

Yanga may be a good idea but no reason at all haidara should be ahead of Santon, he's no better defensively and not got the attacking threat, maybe yet, and Santon sure as hell has to improve some aspects of his game

Colo's wank in the air :lol:

Not sure quite how it's a funny that our best CB and captain doesn't compete in the air, like.

Amazed that anyone would want Haidara ahead of Santon. The kid's years off being a PL defender.

Colo's w*** in the air :lol:

Not sure quite how it's a funny that our best CB and captain doesn't compete in the air, like.

Amazed that anyone would want Haidara ahead of Santon. The kid's years off being a PL defender.

I think years is a bit harsh. Lad has real promise if handled correctly imo.  Difficult position to learn FB. I think with a good bit of coaching, gentle easing into the side at the right moments/games and a little bit of time this lad can be very good.

Agree he isn't ready yet mind.

Haidara hasn't as yet shown us  that he can't defend whereas Santon on numerable occasions has done so. Santons positional play and tendency to get caught in position means he's a constant defensive liability. Virtually every time somebody scores against us down the right Santon will have been involved, and not in a good way. Incidentally Taylor's positional play is pretty terrible as well, watch the Liverpool at home massacre. Neither are good enough.

Mentioning the Liverpool massacre in a defence if Haidara doesn't make much sense to me, like. The kid should've been docked wages for his efforts that day. The worst defensive performance I've seen in our colours in years.