The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

If Messi left where do you think would be the best fit for him?

Looks like he's lost his motivation for the game now, so if he goes anywhere it'll be China or MLS, maybe his local Argentine team. Don't see him having the desire for any other team

He has more than 30 goals and 25 assists this season  :D.  I know that is lower than what he usually does but that is better than Thierry Henry's best ever season. Every team on the planet wouldn't have a problem accomodating "unmotivated" players like him.

Dont rhink hes saying teams wouldn't want him.....its more what HE wants.

True. I did not read his post correctly. I have been wondering about the Barca and Messi obituaries since yesterday. Yeah, things do look bad. But the problems they have can be fixed by hiring a progressive manager with a clear vision like Poch or Nagelsman. Messi, Dembele, Griezman, Coutinho, Fati - I am sure Poch can come up with a system that gets a tune out of them. Play De Jong in his natural position.

As for the defense, good managers can assemble a fairly robust defense economically. Rafa put together a top 7 premier league defense which can defend on the ground, in the air, and play the ball out on a shoestring budget. I am sure Poch can do the same.

I don't think Barca and Messi's situation is as bad as people are making it out to be.

There financial situation is pretty critical mind, 60% drop in income for 2020/21.

I understand they are overextended and there is a drop in income. But pretty much all clubs, except the state-owned ones, are going to have to deal with significant drops in income to varying degree next season.

Under Klopp, we went from being thrashed by Stoke 6-1 to Champions League finalist within three seasons and our attack was nothing compared to what Barca has. It is not going to be easy. But I think a manager like Poch or Nagelsman can work wonders with that attack.

If Messi left where do you think would be the best fit for him?

Looks like he's lost his motivation for the game now, so if he goes anywhere it'll be China or MLS, maybe his local Argentine team. Don't see him having the desire for any other team

What a ridiculous accusation, typical lazy response.

Hardly. He's been at Barcelona so long do you really see him going anywhere unless it's for love or money. He's done every challenge going so doesn't need to prove anything, so that means going home to his team, or going somewhere for even more money than he already gets, or just enjoying his last few years without pressure

Nah, player like Messi should either stay at Barcelona or go back to Argentina. Would be shit seeing him anywhere else.

I was reading a few articles about this, Messi had always planned to return to Newell’s at the twilight of his career. However the worsening security situation in the country / area has rendered it almost impossible for him 

Guest Cheesy Beans

Always wished players like Ronaldo and Messi would just think ‘fuck it’ at the end of their career and join a midtable club from a country they’ve never played in.

Southampton, Cagliari, Frankfurt etc.

Not a rough and ready team like Stoke, but a team that would be willing to play football. Would be intriguing to see just how much impact they would actually have.

When you’ve won absolutely everything there is to win, I think it’d be quite decent to take on a real challenge like that.

Guest Cheesy Beans

Hmmm to live in Barcelona or Southampton, the age old question.

Well yeah, it’s completely ridiculous and would never happen :lol:

I’d just be intrigued by what impact they’d actually have.

Always wished players like Ronaldo and Messi would just think ‘fuck it’ at the end of their career and join a midtable club from a country they’ve never played in.

Southampton, Cagliari, Frankfurt etc.

Not a rough and ready team like Stoke, but a team that would be willing to play football. Would be intriguing to see just how much impact they would actually have.

When you’ve won absolutely everything there is to win, I think it’d be quite decent to take on a real challenge like that.

I honestly would want to do this if I was a top pro. Like you say it would be a different challenge, and imagine the scenes when you arrive at the club. It would give the fans of a club who win nothing something to remember for years.

Messi strikes me as a selfish individual, you just couldn’t see him wanting to give something back to a group of fans he has nothing in common with.

He’ll follow the money if he can’t return to Argentina.

Im not knocking him for any of that, it’s what all top pros are told to do.

Messi strikes me as a selfish individual, you just couldn’t see him wanting to give something back to a group of fans he has nothing in common with.

He’ll follow the money if he can’t return to Argentina.

Im not knocking him for any of that, it’s what all top pros are told to do.

Based on?

Barca just do not learn.

They can’t get a manager on a long term deal with the elections in 2021 - Koeman will get a 1 year deal with an option for the new board to extend it by 1 further year - if not he’ll get a bit of compo - most likely Xavi will be coach in 2021

Tbf, they could do worse.

Yep - it just depends what they can do in the market - they have to be creative -  can they spot a couple of gems from somewhere? I wouldn’t bet on it

If they start next season with Pique, Alba, Busquets, Rakitic/Vidal and Suarez in the same XI, then they might as well give up