The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

2 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Surprised at the generally positive reaction to Postecoglu online.

I'm proper chuffed that he's all they could find.

Same. He's done a good job and seems like a good bloke, but he's not really done anything that Neil Lennon and Stevie G didn't do. I would have been disappointed if we'd have got him in to replace Bruce.

52 minutes ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Same. He's done a good job and seems like a good bloke, but he's not really done anything that Neil Lennon and Stevie G didn't do. I would have been disappointed if we'd have got him in to replace Bruce.

He won the Asian cup with Australia, won the A League and J Leagues, and while not as high quality, he will have them playing attractive football if they give him time, which the fans won't. He won't take Levy's bullshit though.

3 hours ago, ilikenewcastle said:

He's 57 as well. Late in the day for his big break.

Thought he was about 40. :lol: 

4 hours ago, wiseman said:

He won the Asian cup with Australia, won the A League and J Leagues, and while not as high quality, he will have them playing attractive football if they give him time, which the fans won't. He won't take Levy's bullshit though.

Nuno got 4 month, so I'd imagine Rodgers will be in by December.

I hope he gives an honest interview when appointed 

" chance of a lifetime  couldn't turn it down, opportunity to work in the Premier league a big factor, but if Real Madrid come knocking next year I'm fuckin outer here" 

" daft cunts" 

Bucking the trend, but overall has Levy done all that bad a job? 5 out of the previous 7 seasons in the top four. Easy to forget, but with 10 games to go this last season, they were still in the top four. And a wonderful new stadium which should give them a secure financial base for the future.

Things have gone tits up recently, but shouldn't Conte shoulder a big part of the blame? That outburst of his was selfish and a real disgrace. My feeling is that, for personal issues, he wanted to move back to Italy, and engineered his own sacking with that in mind.

Of course, managers who are in great demand will look at the disaffect between owner, supporters, manager and DOF and look for other options. It's a big task now, but this Aussie will relish it. I don't know much about him, but rising from Australian and Japanese football to this position must take some doing.

Every time I hear “did well in Scotland” I feel sick. 

that’s how we used to justify McLeish. 

And then Gerrard. Although McLeish at least did do well there. 

After the long process they’ve had, it is strange to end up here after such a procession of big names. 

25 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Gerrard did do well at Rangers tbf. Last 16 of the Europa League and 100 plus points to interrupt the Celtic dominance was impressive. 

Wasn't the prevailing view that it was all down to his assistant in the end?

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Bucking the trend, but overall has Levy done all that bad a job? 5 out of the previous 7 seasons in the top four. Easy to forget, but with 10 games to go this last season, they were still in the top four. And a wonderful new stadium which should give them a secure financial base for the future.

Things have gone tits up recently, but shouldn't Conte shoulder a big part of the blame? That outburst of his was selfish and a real disgrace. My feeling is that, for personal issues, he wanted to move back to Italy, and engineered his own sacking with that in mind.

Of course, managers who are in great demand will look at the disaffect between owner, supporters, manager and DOF and look for other options. It's a big task now, but this Aussie will relish it. I don't know much about him, but rising from Australian and Japanese football to this position must take some doing.

It sort of feels like Spurs have hit their natural ceiling and their continued dining at the top table is more about staying there rather than actively competing for honours. 

Their managerial appointments seemed to be made with getting top four in mind rather than winning anything, but the egos of those coaches were based on trophies and thus was always going to end in tears.

Levy could bet the house trying to compete but knows they would likely fall short so decides to temper the ambition each time. Business first. 

He’s a little bit like Ashley (albeit much more competitive) in that he’s perfectly happy just to exist in the top four and everything else is just a pipe dream. 

They need a sugar daddy to go any further most likely. Can’t see them replacing Kane with anyone close to his talents under their current policy. 

8 minutes ago, Gh0StFaC3 said:

To say that a 100 point season and a good Europa league run could all be down to an assistant and Gerrard himself was precisely 0% of it is just revisionist stuff, no denying he did well there. 

2 hours ago, Cronky said:

I think his main issue is that he is so thin skinned that whenever he starts to get flak he automatically draws attention away from himself and sacks the manager 

43 minutes ago, Nine said:

To say that a 100 point season and a good Europa league run could all be down to an assistant and Gerrard himself was precisely 0% of it is just revisionist stuff, no denying he did well there. 

Aye.

Honestly, Rodgers is so unlucky not to have had another "big" job.

If he was Bernado Rogisimo he would....

1 hour ago, Gh0StFaC3 said:

His assistant was Michael Beale who has the job now. Isn't particularly pulling up any tree's. Postecoglu going and Celtic having to replace him may have given him a lifeline though. 

I've not followed his career in much detail but I've always been impressed with him when he talks

Carries himself well and speaks well, seems to play football the right way too (Yes I know, the right way is subjective)

Kind of a shame he's going to Spurs because I want him to flop 

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I've not followed his career in much detail but I've always been impressed with him when he talks

Carries himself well and speaks well, seems to play football the right way too (Yes I know, the right way is subjective)

Kind of a shame he's going to Spurs because I want him to flop 

Similar, couldn't tell you if he's a good appointment.

How many blokes have bottled job at Celtic last decades? That norwegian, whos name i allready forgot, thats all? So basically Postecoglou just did the same as managers before him…easy silverwares.

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Loads of opposition fans couldn't wait to tell us how shit an appointment Eddie Howe was.

A lot of Newcastle fans were massively underwhelmed 

8 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

It sort of feels like Spurs have hit their natural ceiling and their continued dining at the top table is more about staying there rather than actively competing for honours. 

Their managerial appointments seemed to be made with getting top four in mind rather than winning anything, but the egos of those coaches were based on trophies and thus was always going to end in tears.

Levy could bet the house trying to compete but knows they would likely fall short so decides to temper the ambition each time. Business first. 

He’s a little bit like Ashley (albeit much more competitive) in that he’s perfectly happy just to exist in the top four and everything else is just a pipe dream. 

They need a sugar daddy to go any further most likely. Can’t see them replacing Kane with anyone close to his talents under their current policy. 

Won't most sugar daddy's dump money into Arsenal if they're interested in a North London club? Kinda their (Spuds) problem and why that ceiling is lower than their rivals. They've done pretty decent with Kane and Son, but arguably should have won a trophy with them.