The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

32 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Beautiful city as well.

I loved my trip there a few years back. Love Belgium full stop and the people are great, they seem to love the English and Geordies especially from my experience.

Edited by King HTT III

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Parker is nothing like Pardew man. My God :lol:

I don’t mind Parker, I hope he does well, it’s a brave move and considering his age, he’s not done too bad in management thus far. He has more about him than say Gerrard and Lampard for example. We need our players and managers to experience football away from England, it broadens the horizon, just look at our own Sir Bobby.

2 minutes ago, King HTT III said:

I don’t mind Parker, I hope he does well, it’s a brave move and considering his age, he’s not done too bad in management thus far. He has more about him than say Gerrard and Lampard for example. We need our players and managers to experience football away from England, it broadens the horizon, just look at our own Sir Bobby.

Although I agree it's good for managers to get experience abroad, SBR isn't really a good example. He had won the FA cup and UEFA cup with Ipswich & managed England before he went abroad so he got to manage top teams abroad because of his experience. He didn't go to a smaller team abroad as a stepping stone to gain experience.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Lampard is a bit like Pardew.

On occassion he can gee up the lads and ride the wave of good team spirit and a bit of magic. But actual coaching? A proper defensive or offensive plan? Myth.

He's got promoted from the championship twice so you'd imagine he's got more about him than just riding a wave?

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Although I agree it's good for managers to get experience abroad, SBR isn't really a good example. He had won the FA cup and UEFA cup with Ipswich & managed England before he went abroad so he got to manage top teams abroad because of his experience. He didn't go to a smaller team abroad as a stepping stone to gain experience.

Aye, but it’s more of a closed shop today, a young Sir Bobby today with Ipswich would do well just to keep them up in say the top-flight or take them up into the top-flight. I get your point though!

Edited by King HTT III

29 minutes ago, joeyt said:

He's got promoted from the championship twice so you'd imagine he's got more about him than just riding a wave?

Lampard? No he hasn't.

Pardew has 1 promotion to the PL with West Ham.

You must be referring to Parker? Haven't followed his career closely but he does have 2 promotions. I'm sure Brucey has more. I've not followed his sides or his style to the same degree as Lampard. But I would be surprised if either Parker or Lampard managed as many PL games as either Bruce or Pardew in their careers. I think the managerial bar has been raised.

Pardew managed to get 2 fairly unfancied sides into Europe. 2 FA Cup fials with unfancied sides. I don't back the young lads to do much better in their careers.

Edited by The College Dropout

20 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Reminds me of us and McLaren. I’m sure we gave him two games. I think we got 4 points from them. So then got to stay on longer. Only to carry on being a useless twat and by the time he got canned. We were basically already gone. 

So, yeah. Hopefully the same happens here. 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Reminds me of us and McLaren. I’m sure we gave him two games. I think we got 4 points from them. So then got to stay on longer. Only to carry on being a useless twat and by the time he got canned. We were basically already gone. 

So, yeah. Hopefully the same happens here. 

I think they were thinking of getting rid of him after we lost 0-3 at home to Leicester and 5-1 away at Palace, the performances in both games were absolutely embarrassing but McClaren then beat Liverpool at home who'd had a big bounce after appointing Klopp and Spurs away who'd only lost once all season prior. Then we reverted to normality, dropped points at SJP to a woeful Villa and won only 2 more games before he got sacked.

Where the club messed up with McClaren though was not sacking him after getting hammered 5-1 away at a midtable Chelsea. We had 2 and a half weeks before our next 2 league games, Stoke (a) and Bournemouth (h) within 3 days of each other but they gave him that break and we lost both games abysmally. Then they sacked him. Had Benitez come in in that break we may well have got ~4 points from those games which would've kept us up. Or given us some momentum and time under his coaching methods in time for the games against the mackems and Norwich.

Thank fuck we didn’t get this balloon and his mental gymnastics and wordsmithery. Hope the ship sinks without a trace. Thank God for Eddie Howe! 

Lampard said: “I came here nearly a year ago now and my feeling when I came in was Evertonians thought we were heading for relegation. We managed to have an incredible time together to stay up. I lived that moment with the fans. I went home that night and had a glass of wine and thought this is where the work begins. Why were we in that battle? We are in that process. I am not silly. We need results. We have slipped in the bottom three. I can’t affect anything other than that. I was well aware (of the situation) when I came into this job.

“I am a big man working for a great club.

“I take my responsibility as manager. There are a lot of things at play. We had a strategic review of the club for a reason. I would be superman if I was in charge of every department. We all know our roles. I don’t know where we should finish in the league, but getting to where we want to be is a process.

"We need to keep building to find confidence and momentum. Secondly, can we help the squad in January? Maybe being up for the fight can bring out the best in us.

"As a player and manager I have always looked at myself first and foremost. That is what all the players have to do. Can we get more from ourselves? Yes."

clueless! 

1 hour ago, PauloGeordio said:

Thank fuck we didn’t get this balloon and his mental gymnastics and wordsmithery. Hope the ship sinks without a trace. Thank God for Eddie Howe! 

Lampard said: “I came here nearly a year ago now and my feeling when I came in was Evertonians thought we were heading for relegation. We managed to have an incredible time together to stay up. I lived that moment with the fans. I went home that night and had a glass of wine and thought this is where the work begins. Why were we in that battle? We are in that process. I am not silly. We need results. We have slipped in the bottom three. I can’t affect anything other than that. I was well aware (of the situation) when I came into this job.

“I am a big man working for a great club.

“I take my responsibility as manager. There are a lot of things at play. We had a strategic review of the club for a reason. I would be superman if I was in charge of every department. We all know our roles. I don’t know where we should finish in the league, but getting to where we want to be is a process.

"We need to keep building to find confidence and momentum. Secondly, can we help the squad in January? Maybe being up for the fight can bring out the best in us.

"As a player and manager I have always looked at myself first and foremost. That is what all the players have to do. Can we get more from ourselves? Yes."

clueless! 

"We were shite last year and are now shite this year, is that my fault ? I'm Lampard so no, but we need to pull our sleeves up and work hard, then dust ourselves down and work hard again........at doing the same mistakes and shite tactics I always do..........I'm Frank Lampard don't you know"