The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

Shame he has gone. As it had turned a bit sour, to say the least. However, it is good news that Tuchel is off the market and Poch wasn’t going to be returning this season.

Stellini to the end of the season seems decent for us. Always had better results with him in charge. However, are the tactics going to drastically change? They seem really predictable and one dimensional this season. Negative and struggled to get the best out of some quality attacking players, bar Kane. 

Difficult to know if it's a good or  a bad thing really. Obviously his position was untenable and I'd have been nice to see just how toxic things could get, but he's also a brilliant manager. Stellini and  the coaching staff will have some task emulating his tactical nous. Caretakers usually rely on momentum, so it'll be interesting to see how they cope if they hit a couple of bad results. 

I’d have rather he stayed until the end of the season as that would have been more a known quantity (inconsistency). Dependent on who they get now they could put together some better form than we’ve seen from them recently.

Edited by Nine

13 minutes ago, FinnMag said:

If its true that Pochettino wants return to Spurs, i dont understand it at all. What have changed in the club since he left? Conte wanted out for a same reasons.

Poch got sacked - I don’t think he wanted out like Conte obviously did. He’s good friends with Levy still and he/his family still live in Hertfordshire.

Manufacturing a sense of crisis and urgency to rally the players for a strong finish to the season is probably more helpful for Spurs with a caretaker who knows the system and players already in place than keeping Conte for the remainder of the season stinking up the place or replacing him with a new manager with a new philosophy and system. Think they've made the best decision they could have...sadly.

Maybe Poch just wants the comfort of it all. He had his best years at Spurs even though he didn’t win anything. I rate him as a manager but maybe he doesn’t have the drive to really push to win things, and he just wants to work in a system that allows for success relatively, without the realistic potential to win big

I've become aware that Conte was having personal difficulties, with the bereavement of three close friends, and living apart from his wife and family in Italy. He was starting to talk a bit crazy, as though he wanted to quit, and have someone else take the responsibility for the decision. He practically invited the board to sack him.

I also didn't realise that so many Spurs fans are unhappy with Levy. He's delivered the best stadium in the country and regular CL football. Okay, they haven't won the Premiership, but given what Man City have been allowed to do, that's extremely difficult. It takes 90 points and a slice of luck.

35 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I've become aware that Conte was having personal difficulties, with the bereavement of three close friends, and living apart from his wife and family in Italy. He was starting to talk a bit crazy, as though he wanted to quit, and have someone else take the responsibility for the decision. He practically invited the board to sack him.

I also didn't realise that so many Spurs fans are unhappy with Levy. He's delivered the best stadium in the country and regular CL football. Okay, they haven't won the Premiership, but given what Man City have been allowed to do, that's extremely difficult. It takes 90 points and a slice of luck.

They only needed 81 points in 15/16 and came 3rd in a two horse race

40 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I thought it was universally known that they want him out. He's a notorious tightarse whose penny pinching has held them back from moving beyond where they are now. I'm sure they'd all give up the new stadium for a team that actually wins stuff. Their transfer activity under him has been terrible as well

54 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Aye.

But it's also clear Spurs is a commercial operation designed to fill Levy's pockets. I think Levy has done a tremendous job but he doesn't care for cups and such.

Relatively speaking. This is a type of Glory Era for Spurs and they've won less than they did in the 80s. They've won nothing while Arsenal have hit a relative nadir and stil won trophies. Conte was right in his rant. Arsenal win trophies. Even in their nadir, they've won 2-3 FA Cups. Spurs even in a period of ascendancy - have only been to what, 2 cup finals? Lost both. Loser DNA.

Eventually that will be a big hurdle for us. We aren't used to winning. We don't know how. As a fanbase we don't know how to support a team that wins.

22 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

They only needed 81 points in 15/16 and came 3rd in a two horse race

That was then. In five of the six seasons since, it's taken 90 points. It'll probably go to 90 this time around too.

19 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I thought it was universally known that they want him out. He's a notorious tightarse whose penny pinching has held them back from moving beyond where they are now. I'm sure they'd all give up the new stadium for a team that actually wins stuff. Their transfer activity under him has been terrible as well

I think the new stadium was the right long-term decision. As with Arsenal previously, he realised that there would always be a problem trying to compete at the top with a smaller, sub-standard ground. He decided to take the short-term financial hit that was involved, but has still managed to keep them up there. 

Many supporters want jam today. But if there's any chance of competing with the clubs who have been financially doped, then you have to look at the long game.

Spurs have finished top 4 in 6 of the last 8 season, 4th is their celling really, they will never be as big as the other so called members of the big 6, a big part of why they are so annoyed this season is because Arsenal are top of the league. Spurs need to know their place and its about 4th, not challenging for the title. They also got extremely lucky getting Kane for nothing, without him they would be nowhere near 4th.

Edited by Geogaddi

8 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Spurs have finished top 4 in 6 of the last 8 season, 4th is their celling really, they will never be as big as the other so called members of the big 6, a big part of why they are so annoyed this season is because Arsenal are top of the league. Spurs need to know their place and its about 4th, not challenging for the title. They also got extremely lucky getting Kane for nothing, without him they would be nowhere near 4th.

They've got a huge decision to make with Kane this summer. 

Do the unpopular and sell him for £80m-£100m and have cash to rebuild/reshape or hang on for another year and be in the position where they potentially have to replace him with no incoming funds.

The problem this summer is a lack of buyers. Man U maybe, Bayern possibly but very little else to drive any sort of price war

13 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

This is daft. There's no reason Spurs cant do what Arsenal have this season or even Liverpool under Klopp. Obviously thats difficult but its achievable. 4th isnt their ceiling just like the Championship isnt Brentfords, or lower mid table isnt Brightons etc. 

The last manager that worked out for them was Pochettino and he left in 2019. Mourinho is a busted flush at the top level, Nuno was out of his depth and now Conte for a variety of reasons. The infrastructure is all there for them to be a genuine contender though. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius